Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Bragdguldet, 2005 goes to...
    KAJSA BERGQVIST

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Sorry, but I had to desert the sport and vote for Annika. Plus, she gave me an autographed golf ball last summer when she was in Indy for the Solheim Cup.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    I'd like to see Kajsa take it after a fantastic comeback from serious injury. Then again, looking beyond my love for T&F, Anja Paerson may be a better candidate...

Speedway is only popular in a few countries, so I would say a world title in it isn't worth all that much (and, even though I happen to come from one of those few countries, I find it totally boring).

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    It has to be Rickardsson - he is pictured three times in your post. (Or does that split his vote three ways??)

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Bragging Rites? Are they going to marry or bury the winner?

I say Caro!! Which gives her 100% and everyone one else 0%!!

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    started a poll BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anja Pärson
    0%
    Carolina Klüft
    0%
    Kajsa Bergqvist
    0%
    Annika Sörenstam
    0%
    Tony Rickardsson
    0%
    ========================================

2005 SWEDISH PERFORMER-OF-THE-YEAR

Bragdguldet - the prize handed out by Svenska Dagbladet - is up for grabs tonight here in Sweden.

This is the night-of-nights for sports stars and fans alike across the country. Tonight, one athlete will win bragging honors as the 2005 Performer-of-the-Year.

Who among the choices below, in your opinion, had the best 2005 season?

Bergqvist, Rickardsson, Pärson

Rickardsson, Sörenstam, Klüft

Kajsa Bergqvist: Came back to top form after her achilles injury shut down her 2004 season. Won every competition she entered in 2005, along with her first-ever World outdoor high jump title, and made two good attempts at a WR-height of 2,10m in the competition. Had an incredible seven 2,00m clearances in 14 competitions.

Tony Rickardsson: Speedway king who won Bragdguldet in 1999. Rickardsson took home his sixth World Champs gold in huge fashion... is being likened to New Zealand:s Ivan Mauger in speedway history as those with the most World Champs gold medals.

Anja Pärson: Pärson:s 2005 Alpine season was fantastic: World Champs gold in super-G and slalom, silver in combination racing, a victory in the combined-points world cup - and her career:s first huge race victory. Furthermore, she won world-cup competitions in all disciplines in the same season.

Annika Sörenstam: One of her best years ever on the LPGA tour with 10 victories; even won two of four majors - Nabisco and LPGA-final. One victory on the European tour (Scand TPC). Earlier merits: 56 victories on the USA-tour, of which seven are majors: 1995, 1996, 2001, 2002 , 2 in 2003, 2004.

Carolina Klüft: Klüft won this award in 2003. Klüft followed up her bragging rights by winning the Olympic Gold medal in 2004, European Indoor gold in 2005 and her second-straight Heptathlon World Outdoor title in Helsinki with a gutsy 800m PB performance capping off her hep competition.

Fan pollling opened 24-November on Svenska Dagbladet:s homepage. Rickardsson is the internet fan favorite (15.305 votes) leading into tonight:s gala:

The past 10 winners:

1995: Annika Sörenstam, golf
    1996: Agnetta Andersson and Susanne Gunnarsson, canoe
    1997: Ludmila Engquist, track & field
    1998: National Team, handboll
    1999: Tony Rickardsson, speedway
    2000: Lars Frölander, swimming
    2001: Per Elofsson, xc skiing
    2002: Susanne Ljungskog, cycling
    2003: Carolina Klüft, track & field
    2004: Stefan Holm, track & field

Photo Credits: Svenska Dagbladet.