Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf's GOAT RIP

The greatest golfer of all-time (female version) died today. Mickey Wright passed away at age 85 from a heart attack. Only Annika Sorenstam may rival her among women golfers yet few people know of her today, probably including many people on this board. She played from the late 50s thru 1969 and then retired, after winning 82 LPGA events and 13 major championships. ESPN has not even mentioned her name - likely still too busy eulogizing Kobe.

I got to meet her once for a few minutes back in 1974 at the PGA Show. It was a thrill even though she was then retired. On a par with the time I met Ben Hogan for a few minutes.

RIP, Mickey Wright

As a generic “ athlete” in the late 50’s and 60’s I even heard of Mickey Wright. In those days all athletes had headlines and stories on great achievements on the sports pages. Now there is nothing but Baseball, Football, and Basketball ( 95% male) dominating the entire sports pages with tournament/seasonal references to golf, tennis, race car sports.
    Mickey Wright was So far above her competition in her sport dominating with every tournament she entered. Once retired your fame fades quickly in those sports that are not in the Big 3. I hope she enjoyed a healthy and enjoyable life after golf career and is given the proper ecologies by her loyal fans and friends that remember her headlines in the 50-60’s.

Comment

Amazing, bambam1729!, I just looked at my scrapbook and find myself pictured on left page of Sports page of a big Midwest newspaper and very pretty Mickey Wright is on opposite page of sports page being named AP Sportsperson of the year. She was a very attractive lady in those days from the eyes of a teenager. Great sport memory to relive

Comment

Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
        As a generic “ athlete” in the late 50’s and 60’s I even heard of Mickey Wright. In those days all athletes had headlines and stories on great achievements on the sports pages. Now there is nothing but Baseball, Football, and Basketball ( 95% male) dominating the entire sports pages with tournament/seasonal references to golf, tennis, race car sports.
        Mickey Wright was So far above her competition in her sport dominating with every tournament she entered. Once retired your fame fades quickly in those sports that are not in the Big 3. I hope she enjoyed a healthy and enjoyable life after golf career and is given the proper ecologies by her loyal fans and friends that remember her headlines in the 50-60’s.
        You're correct, midwestfan. Was thinking of posting this, but I'm working on a swimming project for USA Swimming and it requires going back thru many old newspapers. Amazing what those sports pages looked like in the 40s, 50s, 60s. All sorts of sports, not just NFL, football, and basketball. NY Times had everything - swimming, track & field, rowing, lots of other interesting stuff. Oh well, those days are gone.

Comment

Well, you know, the Internet is supposed to be able to provide for all of our needs.

But with that aside, thanks bambam for posting this. I am in that large contingent of persons who unfortunately have never heard of Mickey Wright. So, thank you for another moment of education, one of many that occur here.

Comment

Just got this from a tweet which is one of the best things I've read about her - https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/0...jokes-pen-pal/

Comment

Disappointing that the media have not given her the recognition and send off she deserved.

Even me, who has played only 4 rounds of golf in my life, still trying to break 140, I knew of her greatness.
              Last edited by Tuariki; 02-19-2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I definitely remember her even though I was a high school freshman when she retired. Maybe it was far enough back that lots of other sports actually ended up in the news.

Comment

Working...
                X