Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Figures mathematician dies at 101

I like this....completely believable...an era when mathematical calculations were all done by hand.

Two weeks into her new job, she was borrowed by the Flight Research Division, which occupied an immense hangar on the Langley grounds.

There, the only black member of the staff, she helped calculate the aerodynamic forces on airplanes. For that task, as she quickly demonstrated, she came armed with an invaluable asset.

“The guys all had graduate degrees in mathematics; they had forgotten all the geometry they ever knew,” Mrs. Johnson said in the Fayetteville Observer interview. “I still remembered mine.”

She remained in the division for the rest of her career.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/s....co/Ez9jGpdgEu

Best endorsement of her is at the end of that obituary telling how John Glenn wanted her to check the computer's (machine) calculations. He trusted her more than the computer.

Comment

With computers so basic or not existent like Bletchley Park women did alot of the `drudge` work of calculations. And since employment opportunities for women and especially a black female were so lacking then they could get bright people to do those necessary jobs.

Comment

Liked the movie.

May she Rest In Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          Best endorsement of her is at the end of that obituary telling how John Glenn wanted her to check the computer's (machine) calculations. He trusted her more than the computer.
          In the movie they portrayed a brief encounter with Glenn, though I don't know how much of it was embellished. I was glad when Obama awarded her the Medal of Freedom. She was no doubt one of its most worthy recipients in recent memory. I thought it was interesting that both The Right Stuff and Hidden Figures portrayed Glenn as a boy scout, so there must have been something to that.

Comment

Glenn came to our church Sunday school class for dinner just a couple of months after his flight. He was incredibly nice and signed autographs afterwards. The films portrayed him accurately as I remember of Glenn.

Comment

Working...
            X