Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Computer Mystery

I am a admitted computer dufus. I have a question for computer savvy posters here.

In March 2019, my Windows 7 computer was ransom hacked, erasing all my files and emails.. I bought a new Windows 10 computer.... Geek Squad recovered all my files, except 13K emails and addresses and transferred them to new Windows 10. I continued to build spread sheets etc on the recovered Windows 7 docs.

2/11/20, my new Windows 10 was hacked, erasing nearly my entire desk top before I could hit the power button. Geek Squad recovered all Windows 7 data right up to the date of the 2020 hack but say they cannot recover anything posted on Windows 10 since the 2019 hack.... I thought when I bought the new computer I paid extra for back up in the "cloud".. apparently not..

I am having to rebuild from hard copy an entire year of personal and company financial and tax docs.. it is a monumental task... and much correspondence and convenience spread sheets are apparently irretrievable

Question: How is it possible they can recover all Windows 7 data but no continuation of that data to the same spread sheet on Windows 10 from the same Windows hard drive?????

lonewolf - can't answer your question but since they seem to have your number, consider backing up to the cloud in the future - it doesn't come with Windows automatically - you can do it with Google Drive, Microsoft, Carbonite, or Dropbox, and I'm sure a few other such things. Since I'm mega-paranoid (had a virus back in 1997 - recovered 98% of stuff but not all), I use both Google Drive and Carbonite, and also have an extra laptop that I sync with my main computer.

Comment

I regularly back up my stuff to flash drives and a laptop.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
        I regularly back up my stuff to flash drives and a laptop.
        Flashdrive capacity is so large now, I can easily (and quickly) back up all my files on the first of every month.

Comment

2 ransom hacks on different computers....that's something in its self.....and a Geek squad came in between?

Ransom hacks generally come from opening emails that you shouldn't. Maybe you should use a typewriter.
          Conor Dary
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-26-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

First hack occurred on repeatedly visited innocuous websites. The second hack was not a ransom hack.. it was a bogus refund offer..
            . I bought an external terabyte hard drive..now just gotta figure out how it works..
            Another strange:. In reconstructing excel spread sheets, I found in filling formulas on combined/continuous recovered W7 data plus new W10 data spread sheets, the formula will not extend into W10 portion of the sheet but when I type the correct number into the first W10 cell, the formula will extend.

Comment

Getting an ad blocker might help.

Comment

Windows 10 built-in virus detector, Firefox ad blocker, PIA VPN and Malwarebytes - my current security quartet (I'm sure that can be improved - I've been a bit lazy about keeping up with the latest).

As for backup, personally I have an internal network with local shared data storage and off-site backup to handle what most folks do with the cloud. Most of my career was as a computer guy and I don't trust cloud (or other) companies to keep my data secure.

That said, pre- not to mention post-Ed Snowden, if anyone thinks their data is totally secure from a directed attack from our own government or those of other major countries, much less more technically-proficient private enterprises, is deluded.

For non-computer nerds, Atticus is right - flash drives are dirt cheap and easy to use for backing up your data. Do it periodically and put a copy someplace safe offsite. Password (or better) protection for your backed up data is always a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                X