Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a Role Model Have Responsibility?

Crime and Punishment:
    Do Athletes Have Social Responsibilities?

Gerry Lindgren
    Thread: "Gerry Lindgren on Sportscenter"
    Misdeed: Purported bad man, bad father, bad husband.

Seb Coe
    Thread: "And To Think I Admired Seb Coe As A Kid"
    Misdeed: Out of marriage activities deemed inappropriate.

Marion Jones
    Thread: "Marryin' Jonz"
    Misdeed: Bad judgment with two lovers.

Angelo Taylor
    Thread: "Angelo Taylors Arrest"
    Misdeed: Reported underage sex in his SUV.

Amy Acuff
    Thread: "FHM: Moral Question for Adams & Acuff?"
    Misdeed: Showing up in Playboy and FHM.

Kelli White
    Thread: "USADA Bombshell!"
    Misdeed: Snookering America and the World.

Rafael Palmeiro

Thread: "Palmeiro suspended"
    Misdeed: Lied before Congress

This question has been raised on numerous occasions, but has never been thoroughly answered. Therefore, I raise it again after the Lindgren thread and Lets Run link: Do athletes have ay social responsibility as role models and/or public figures? Or should we simply laud these atheltes achievements and leave the person out of the competitor?

It:s being complained that track has no public face anymore. I am wondering if athletes, themselves, have done in the sport for the die-hard fan and for the casual, once-every-four-years fan.

Link to those threads above by clicking on the person:s name.

"Do athletes have ay social responsibility as role models and/or public figures? Or should we simply laud these atheltes achievements and leave the person out of the competitor?"

Everyone have a social responsibility and therefore also athletes.

On the other hand: the notion that certain people have more responsibility than others is simply untrue in our time and a remnant from the past when certain people felt this naturally. Now it's just an abstraction which some people wants to turn into a rule.

Comment

I'm with Thor on this one. An athlete behaving immorally is just as bad as any person behaving immorally - no better, no worse.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Agree about everybody but i would add this. If a athelete is working for a company, ( pro baseball team). and representing that company in front of millions, and also getting paid millions, one could argue the player has a responsibility to his employers to be a good role model.

But its parents who have the biggest role in setting standards. People want to blame, T V, rap music, schools and video games for their childrens behaviour. PARENTS!!!
        Thats not funny!

Comment

Re: Does a Role Model Have Responsibility?

Originally posted by EPelle
          Angelo Taylor
          Thread: "Angelo Taylors Arrest"
          Misdeed: Reported underage sex in his SUV.

Careful there EPelle :wink:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... hp?t=14289
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Ah, mate, thanks for the warning, Guru.

Originally posted by From that link, Boogy
            "I will not participate in childishness this time. We'll go toe to toe on another occasion you dick."
            Seems Boogy and RDizzle dropped out of the same school of manners.

Comment

I think Thor summed it up quite well.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The 20th Century (well, ALL history, but recent history is more instructive) is replete with Great Leaders who turned out to be terrible 'role models', right down to Bill Clinton, whom I still think was a great President but a personally reprehensible person.

The bottom line is that the only role model that matters is yourself. As Spike Lee said, "Do the right thing." The athletes pictured above have the unfortunate happenstance of being famous enough that their misdeeds are known (and judged) by a great many people, while ours (the Great Unwashed) go virtually unnoticed beyond a small circle of acquaintances.

As a teacher, my actions are closely scrutinized by over a hundred of my students and athletes (not to mention other teachers, coaches, administration, parents) EVERY DAY. But it's the standard of conduct that I hold myself to that's most important. It ain't easy, but we all face this every day in one way or another.

Comment

Good post, tafnut... thanks for the input and personal testimony. Question: Should all public figures put themselves up to the same standard of conduct that you do? If these people are to be seen as role models, heroes, whatever word one wants to insert to describe the relationship between these people and their fains, do they not need to ascribe to the same model of excellency as people -- especially since they know they are in the spotlight?

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                    Should all public figures put themselves up to the same standard of conduct that you do?
                    ALL people, regardless of their 'visibilty' need to be as moral as they possibly can. My morals are no better or worse than my peers, but I sure know they are on display every day, so my BEHAVIOR is guided by this knowledge. I am by nature a very mischievious person, but I can't pull all the stupid pranks I'd like to, because it wouldn't be 'proper'. Two years ago I got caught writing graffiti (it was actually quotes from Nietzche
                    and Shoepenhauer - I was bored - it was in pencil - I WAS going to erase it, but the Dean came in and got me red-handed) on a bathroom wall. My punishment was I had to explain the incident to all my classes. Not a fun day, but an instructive one to me AND my students.

Comment

When society looks up to you, you have a responsibility to behave well, that is the cost of living in a society and not a purchased atoll in the south pacific. If you are unwilling to pay that cost in that way with that currency, you will pay it in other ways as all of the above mentioned have.

In the end it is your decision. By and large good character leads to good judgement, clear thinking and great leadership.. 90% of leadership is motivating people to do great things that they otherwise would not have undertaken... you can only do that if you are of high character and morally sound... people (liberals and conservatives alike) do not follow dissembling, self serving shameless self promoters, they simply ignore them... when they cant ignore them because the person has an extended tenure then it is possible for people to posture and make excuses for the same... if a chief executive they may even claim that such were great presidents.

I thought the Marcus Vick case was an interesting one.
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

The moral questions posed to those who chose to make bad decisions is are the same more questions posed to those who chose to make "good" decisions. The only difference is that society and the media put more emphasis on the people who make the bad decisions. For every 1 example that you listed above, there are at least 100 people who were faced with the same moral questions and made better decisions. What I would like to see is a list of athletes that "are" positive role models and a list of their social accomplishments.

Here is a good question: Who are the top role models inT&F and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Quarter Horse

Here is a good question: Who are the top role models inT&F and why?
                          Haile Gebrselassie!! Always positive, always smiling. Ever see the way he goes around to all the runners at the starting line to shake hands and smile? Everyone's nervous and focused, and he's smiling and laughing and trying to shake hands! Then he takes his money and builds businesses, not solely for the purpose of earning more money for himself, but to employ his countrymen and stimulate the local economy. Then he dances around the edge of politics hoping to make a difference. All the while, his family seems close and happy.
                          And he keeps on smiling.

Unlike the '72 Dolphins, Geb cheers on Bekele and gives him all the support he needs to break his own (Geb's) records!! And he loves taking photographs with fans and signing autographs.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                            Two years ago I got caught writing graffiti (it was actually quotes from Nietzche
                            and Shoepenhauer - I was bored - it was in pencil - I WAS going to erase it, but the Dean came in and got me red-handed) on a bathroom wall.
                            The bathroom graffiti I usually encounter are neither Nietzsche
                            nor Schoppenhauer :shock: .
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                              The bathroom graffiti I usually encounter are neither Nietzsche nor Schoppenhauer :shock: .
                              We're try to upclass the vandalism we commit around here!

Comment

Working...
                              X