Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

probably coming soon to a neighborhood near you: a localized corona pissing match

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably coming soon to a neighborhood near you: a localized corona pissing match

Has already started on my nextdoor.com link where someone has started a petition to close the local schools and non-emergency public meetings until after spring break. A few people agree, but so far there has been a strong backlash (with which I would agree) calling for less sky-is-falling rhetoric.

Tell the markets that....

The Bond Market Is Trying to Warn Us

Collapsing yields suggest some dire coronavirus outcomes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinio...mpression=true

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      Has already started on my nextdoor.com link where someone has started a petition to close the local schools and non-emergency public meetings until after spring break. A few people agree, but so far there has been a strong backlash (with which I would agree) calling for less sky-is-falling rhetoric.
      It would truly be a disaster if all of the lost fur babies were carriers...

Comment

Since children don't seem to affected much, as far as we know, closing schools seems a bit dramatic...but not attending public meetings seems a no brainer...

Comment

In the FT now...

Investors rush to bond safety for fear of global recession

Coronavirus deaths soar in Italy and Iran Oil price tumbles 9% as Opec talks collapse

With perceived haven assets in the highest demand since the financial crisis, the price of US government debt rocketed, sending benchmark 10-year bond yields under 0.7 per cent — an all-time low. UK and German bonds also broke records.

“It’s pure fear — you can see it in the empty supermarket shelves and you can see it in the bond market,” said Dickie Hodges, a fund manager at Nomura Asset Management.

Comment

this thread was created for the purpose of allowing real people to react to what's happening locally, not the 111-teenth post on macroeconomics

Comment

Jolly good....nothing new in town here. Actually a sense of calmness...the Bier Stein was its usual busy self tonight ...men's basketball game attendance was down a bit last night.

Comment

Somehow I suspect if this virus had popped up twenty years ago life would be proceeding as normal. I can only imagine the mass hysteria during the SARS outbreak had Twitter, Facebook, etc been around in 2002.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

I think it would worse....but we are getting off topic.

Comment

I feel a certain calm and relaxation , just knowing that there is someone, somewhere not having fun traveling gives me great pleasure. .. have a sense of humor!!

Comment

I also feel a certain calm and relaxation, watching 15 year mortgage refi rates drift toward 2%. Hell, if the thing sticks around for the summer(unlikely) I may be able to get a bank to pay me for the honor of servicing my mortgage 😂
                      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                        Somehow I suspect if this virus had popped up twenty years ago life would be proceeding as normal. I can only imagine the mass hysteria during the SARS outbreak had Twitter, Facebook, etc been around in 2002.
                        spot-on!

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
                          I also feel a certain calm and relaxation, watching 15 year mortgage refi rates drift toward 2%. Hell, if the thing sticks around for the summer(unlikely) I may be able to get a bank to pay me for the honor of servicing my mortgage 😂
                          Central banks create little bits of heaven on Earth that land on special someones, the hell is paid in little bits by everyone.
                          Last edited by user4; 03-07-2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                            So far, no calls for that in my neighborhood association, but that could change. The hospital I work at (Kaiser) has put all employees through training in the relevant mask we now wear.

Last week, I visited my first corona-positive patient, who is Catholic, had been positive since Feb 14, had minimal symptoms and was itching to go home, and requested a Priest to bring her communion. Because the priest was not trained in gowning up, he gave the elements to an RN who is Catholic, had her go in to the room, and supervised the communion over the phone. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Comment

Meanwhile...it is true some are overdoing it....

https://mobile.twitter.com/charlie_s...24366893318144

Comment

Working...
                              X