X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    Individuals may have different opinions about equal pay for men and women on their respective national teams, and it is well known that the men get way more $$$ in subsidies from FIFA. But FIFA doesn't have to deal with American public opinion. I can't think of a legal position more out of tune with the times than the filings in the women's national team lawsuit for equal pay which assert that:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/us/us...rnd/index.html
    The genius author of the above (Cordeiro or close) has resigned.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post

There's no sarcasm font available, unfortunately.
    Yes, that makes more sense .

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    In terms of what the players should be paid IMO should in large part depend on the revenue generated by the respective teams.
    And looking in from afar it seems to me that the USA Women's team gets bigger crowds and more people watching their games on TV than the USA men. However, maybe I am wrong.
    Comparing the men and women attendance has some problems. The women can play in major cities and get big crowds that support the team. Meanwhile the men have to play in small cities in Ohio or Utah do ensure a friendly crowd. The US men once played Mexico in Soldier Field in Chicago and a large majority of the crowd were fanatic Mexican fans. It was like playing in the Azteca in Mexico City. They never repeated that mistake.

The women's game brings in little money...no professional league has survived long here. Meanwhile TV money for the men's is huge.

Also what do they charge? The Oregon women's basketball team outdrew the men this year and both were Pac 12 champs. This is often brought up. What they don't mention is tickets to the men's games are 5-10 times higher. My great season ticket to the women's this year was $129. The men's price for the same seat was $1250.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-12-2020, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    that screeching sound you heard was Carlos Cordeiro doing an emergency 180

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...-uswnt-protest

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    In terms of what the players should be paid IMO should in large part depend on the revenue generated by the respective teams.
    And looking in from afar it seems to me that the USA Women's team gets bigger crowds and more people watching their games on TV than the USA men. However, maybe I am wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    ??!!
    An all-star team of HS boys could beat the women and it would be a super-ugly game! Speed and power trump all else. even though the women's team is light years ahead of the men's on an international gender scale.
    What would happen if the best women runners in the world went against the best HS boys? No contest.
    They are lightyears ahead of the rest of the world because the rest of the world doesn't take women's soccer seriously. And that's in Europe...though it has improved. And forget third world countries who are basically in the 19th century when it comes to women's sports.

And we have our semipro system of well funded high school sports and college scholarships that have developed the women's team. No other country in the world has anything remotely like it. Certainly not in the UK. When I was in England in 1999 the Brits found the Women's WC kind of a big joke and couldn't understand why anyone went to games. They have a team now but it is massively underfunded.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    nm

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego View Post

I can't believe you said this.
    There's no sarcasm font available, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Master403
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Actually that already happened. I heard (though very 2nd hand) they lost to the US U-15 boys in a scrimmage somewhat recently
    There is this

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...n-a-scrimmage/

1) Not U.S. U15, but U15 from one club in Dallas

2) 2017

3) Not particularly relevant to original post

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Actually that already happened. I heard (though very 2nd hand) they lost to the US U-15 boys in a scrimmage somewhat recently
    Bingo. And the boys aren't half as 'good' as this USWNT!

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    ??!!
    An all-star team of HS boys could beat the women and it would be a super-ugly game! Speed and power trump all else. even though the women's team is light years ahead of the men's on an international gender scale.
    What would happen if the best women runners in the world went against the best HS boys? No contest.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Would love to see the teams play each other.
    ??!!

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Would love to see the teams play each other.
    I can't believe you said this.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Not a good match because the raw speed and power of the men is too great.
    When I was 17, the girls at school challenged us boys to a game of field hockey. They fancied their chances as they had played a lot more. On a slightly bumpy grass field, the boys won comfortably because we could hit the ball harder and run quicker. Would have been closer on astroturf?

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Not a good match because the raw speed and power of the men is too great.

By the way, the soccer position is that a good high school sprinter should be paid more than SAFP, etc.
    Very true. It's also like Wimbledon or the US Open paying more money to a man who goes out in the first round than they do to the winner of the women's final.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X