• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • polevaultpower
    Administrator
    • Oct 2005
    • A Temperate Island

I'm so sad, our second freezer died and I lost the stash of milk I was hoarding from the school lunches. Would have gotten me through most of the summer.

Comment

• Conor Dary
      • Oct 2005
      • Under the Tower

That's sad to hear...

Comment

• NotDutra5
        • Jul 2014
        • Right next to a Gator filled pond

As a lover of most leftovers including frozen leftovers, bread is not an item I can freeze and then consume after defrosting. Just tastes awful to me. However it is rare that a loaf goes to waste as I just eat it until it is gone.

Comment

• scottmitchell74
          • Jul 2008
          • Abilene, TX

I hate waste and will freeze bread, but it's only good really for toasting.
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• bad hammy
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
            I hate waste and will freeze bread, but it's only good really for toasting.
            Man, I must be doing something wrong because frozen loaves of Daves or the local Camas Bakery bread taste just fine after months of freezer time with perfect texture, toasted or not.

One of my go-to breakfasts is a slice of frozen Daves, cut in half, one side slathered in Adams Crunchy Unsalted Peanut Butter, the other in the jam of the day. Wait half-hour for bread to defrost and the PB&J to come to room temp, then eat. The latest versions include bread over a year old - it was just as good as day one.

Late edit: I do put the loaves of bread in thick ziploc freezer bags - Daves inside it's own wrapper then the ziploc, the bakery's just in the ziploc. That may or may not help a bit.

Last edited by bad hammy; 08-13-2021, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• scottmitchell74
              • Jul 2008
              • Abilene, TX

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

Man, I must be doing something wrong because frozen loaves of Daves or the local Camas Bakery bread taste just fine after months of freezer time with perfect texture, toasted or not.

One of my go-to breakfasts is a slice of frozen Daves, cut in half, one side slathered in Adams Crunchy Unsalted Peanut Butter, the other in the jam of the day. Wait half-hour for bread to defrost and the PB&J to come to room temp, then eat. The latest versions include bread over a year old - it was just as good as day one.

Late edit: I do put the loaves of bread in thick ziploc freezer bags - Daves inside it's own wrapper then the ziploc, the bakery's just in the ziploc. That may or may not help a bit.
              This is true. I forgot my mother's homemade bread which she makes in large batches with the intention of freezing most of them. Yes, they are carefully frozen in storage bags and they are fine for as long as needed.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• bad hammy
                • Oct 2005

In this morning's shopping expedition I'll be buying Dave's bread for the first time since about May of 2020. Bought about eight loaves back then and they all tasted great, including the one used for today's breakfast PBJ (using jam I canned from blueberries we picked at a friend's farm).

Comment

• Atticus
                  • Jul 2014
                  • on task

and here it is more than a year later and we have not bought any more paper goods at all . . .
                  My side of the closet still looks like a Nuclear Bunker.
                  I doubt we'll EVER buy Purell or Lysol or wipes or sprays or gloves or masks again!

Comment

• bad hammy
                    • Oct 2005

One of my go-to breakfasts is a slice of frozen Daves, cut in half, one side slathered in Adams Crunchy Unsalted Peanut Butter, the other in the jam of the day.
                    I shoulda hoarded more! Yesterday I was surprised that I was eating the last of the last jar of my Adams peanut butter stash. Today I went to my usual grocer plus three others - the Adams PB shelves are hurting. Even went to the local Whole Foods for the first time (less than impressed based on my experience with old-school pre-Amazon Whole Foods in CA). My guess is the Adams shortage is a covid economy thing - my unsalted crunchy PB is probably one of Adams' low sellers and therefore low on the production line totem pole when things get tight. One of my favorite soups was unavailable at any store also, so there are definitely spot outages. A lotta Dave's Killer Bread available, four loaves now getting chilled in the freezer . . .
                    Last edited by bad hammy; 10-29-2021, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• gh
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 2005
                      • west of Westeros

there was nothing I couldn't live without, but when I went to my market-that-has-everything a couple of days ago, there were notable voids on many shelves; clearly supply-line problems have themselves become pandemic.

Comment

Working...
                      X