Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes the shows have 2021 predictions as well, which is more interesting. It would be interesting to see the predictions from a year ago.

While he was alive, William Safire’s last NY Times op-Ed column of the year would be a multiple-choice predictions quiz of 20 or 25 questions. He’d also give his picks and how he did on the previous year. I use to save them to compare how I did.

I always enjoyed the Wall Street Week New Year’s show with Louis Ruykeyser. It concluded with the Louis and panel wearing New Year’s hats and holding noise makers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      So a lot of chatter happening on the slow vaccine roll out Personally, I'm incredibly frustrated. Did we not know that vaccines were coming? Is vaccine administration a surprise? Several complex issues so lets break things down a bit Warning, this is a bit of a rant Thread

Any of this familiar? Like our national testing debacle, being repeated

https://mobile.twitter.com/ashishkjh...68397084053505
      O, come on. No one expected vaccines for years and they are being distributed in months. Complaints about whether they are a few weeks sooner or later is a quibble.

I figure I will be in Wave 1c since I am age 67 and have a compromised immune system. I probably get the vaccine in February. Since six months ago, I did not expect a vaccine until 2022 at the earliest, I am not complaining.
      Last edited by Halfmiler2; 12-29-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
        Like I said above, if the clinic was going till 10 PM and there was not a warm body or two that needed a shot, it would be wasted. For the number of warm bodies present needing the vaccine to match perfectly with the number of doses coming out of the final set of vials for the day, odds would be perhaps one in five or one in six (one of you mathematics guys could see if it’s that simple).
        I would give anyone here 100 to one odds that many many places are already breaking protocol and that the story of the Disney worker has already been repeated dozens if not hundreds of times and frankly it is not remotely a big deal.

Comment

Like I said above, if the clinic was going till 10 PM and there was not a warm body or two that needed a shot, it would be wasted. For the number of warm bodies present needing the vaccine to match perfectly with the number of doses coming out of the final set of vials for the day, odds would be perhaps one in five or one in six (one of you mathematics guys could see if it’s that simple).
          Having some excess doses was an obvious possibility that should have been anticipated, so they could have invited in advance people of another high-risk group(s) in the community to be on standby at the end of the day. If not enough people show up for the leftover doses, then they can give what's left to other workers who are available.

Comment

• Easy call - if the vaccine's getting ready to expire give it to anyone rather than throw it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
              Easy call - if the vaccine's getting ready to expire give it to anyone rather than throw it out.
              Instead of giving it to just anyone, they could have given the leftover doses to other high-risk people if they had been invited in advance.

Comment

• True, but under the circumstances presented I don't have a problem with the Disney employee getting the shot.

Comment

• my gosh, UC health was giving it in an administration building with no other functions in the building, not at the hospital but a mile away, and they were going to 10 PM. At 10 PM the only people there would be, I suspect, a security guard, a person to check people in, a medical person to give the vaccine, and a medical person to be on hand in case someone had a reaction. Chances are they would figure out that they had an extra dose or two in the last 15 or 20 minutes based on who actually showed up for their appointment or not. Now, perhaps they should call people at 9:40 PM and say “drive on over, we think we might have an extra dose (but we could be wrong)“ and my wife, for one would be willing to do that, but it gets to the point that the effort might outweigh the return. Do you come up with a list of folks you might call ahead of time and worn them, so they’re not in there bathrobe and slippers already in bed by that time? It gets to be a bit too cumbersome.

Comment

Chances are they would figure out that they had an extra dose or two in the last 15 or 20 minutes based on who actually showed up for their appointment or not.
                    Before they even received the first shipment of vials they could have figured out it was possible to have some leftover vials on any given day.

Do you come up with a list of folks you might call ahead of time and worn them, so they’re not in there bathrobe and slippers already in bed by that time?
                    Yes, it's not that hard. Send emails and/or text messages to selected people in the patient database at least 24 hours in advance, or otherwise publish something in the media inviting people who meet some selection criteria to show up at 9:30 pm if they want to be on standby for the vaccine.

Sure, most people meeting the criteria won't get the message or won't show up for various reasons, but the goal is only to attract a small number of people to use up the leftover vaccines, not to vaccinate the whole city in one night. If nobody shows up, so be it, but at least they provided the opportunity for some high-risk people in the community to get it instead of a well-connected Disney employee.
                    Last edited by 18.99s; 12-29-2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• the first injectee gets her second shot

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/29/first...o=newsnow-feed

Comment

• Not so much coping as pure serendipity. Do Toilet paper and Clorox have a shelf life?
                        I have lived alone in my townhouse for 26 years. Yesterday, fixing a washing machine mishap involved going into a kitchen cabinet that, apparently, I had never explored. Inside the cupboard, I found 84 unopened rolls of Charmin toilet paper. And, among other surprises, a pair of unused, in-the-case, 50X binoculars, an in-the-case set of 5 kitchen knives, an electric drill, and three gallons of Clorox.
                        Perhaps an explanation is that on a very long September Saturday in 1994, the previous owners vacated the townhouse, carpet layers installed new carpet and my movers stuffed all that was possible of the contents of my 4200 sq foot family home across the creek into this 1400 sq foot townhouse and two-car garage.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          Not so much coping as pure serendipity. Do Toilet paper and Clorox have a shelf life?
                          I have lived alone in my townhouse for 26 years. Yesterday, fixing a washing machine mishap involved going into a kitchen cabinet that, apparently, I had never explored. Inside the cupboard, I found 84 unopened rolls of Charmin toilet paper. And, among other surprises, a pair of unused, in-the-case, 50X binoculars, an in-the-case set of 5 kitchen knives, an electric drill, and three gallons of Clorox.
                          Perhaps an explanation is that on a very long September Saturday in 1994, the previous owners vacated the townhouse, carpet layers installed new carpet and my movers stuffed all that was possible of the contents of my 4200 sq foot family home across the creek into this 1400 sq foot townhouse and two-car garage.
                          Ha! I'd toss the Chlorox, test the TP for 'integrity' and gift the drill and Binocs to a grandchild.

Comment

• Bleach degrades at about 20% per year, so after 26 years it's definitely beyond its usefulness.

I would throw away the TP unless it's still in its sealed packaging, and the packaging has no holes.
                            Last edited by 18.99s; 12-29-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• I'd try and sell the TP to a collector such as our friend Atticus 🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                                True, but under the circumstances presented I don't have a problem with the Disney employee getting the shot.
                                We're a week into this. It'll get smoothed out over time I would think. By the time I'm on any list, I probably won't even need to slow down in the car lane. I'll get poked on the move.

Comment

Working...
                                X