Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on coping with C19 lockdown

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Pego View Post

    Having capable, talented kids for grandchildren feels good, eh ?
    ,
    It does. The one playing "Prime Minister Jacinda" is a straight A student focused on becoming a surgeon. At the moment an orthopaedic surgeon or possibly neuro surgery

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Hence the fascination with bad people doing bad things, and justifying it with some ridiculous sense of honor like Omertà. I have NEVER seen the appeal of any kind of mafioso movies. I did like The Untouchables with Keven Costner because he was putting them away.
      Bingo, I have a few friends that think that "goodfellas" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzCWog7iLU4 was a great movie.

      I have never been anything but repulsed by the glorification of "bad fellas that want to get allot of money for doing nothing and making everyone around them miserable", good grief.

      Actually if you really knew mobsters you would be sick to your stomach and wouldnt sleep for a week after watching such movies, there is nothing glorious in it.

      Whitey Bulger recently met his ending in prison, read a biography, its a 50 year trail of other peoples blood and tears.

      The real mob mentality is very simple; "I dont want to work for what I want to take".



      Comment


      • I'm with Atticus and user4. I do not develop empathy with bad guys and do not enjoy gansta movies unless they get their comeuppance.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
          ,
          It does. The one playing "Prime Minister Jacinda" is a straight A student focused on becoming a surgeon. At the moment an orthopaedic surgeon or possibly neuro surgery
          Great. We have 2 boys. Our oldest is a premed, talking about cardiovascular surgery as his goal. The younger one graduates HS in a couple of months.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

          Comment


          • self-isolation, Canadian style, eh!


            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9R7...pQTRFdfRwLH4kU

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gh View Post
              self-isolation, Canadian style, eh!
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9R7...pQTRFdfRwLH4kU
              Many of us have lived among the Canadians for more than a spell, truly salt of the earth people, very kind, caring, generous, hearty and self reliant. One of the other things I learned from the Canadians is that they like to make their own spirits!... everything from wine and beer to the harder stuff.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gh View Post
                self-isolation, Canadian style, eh!


                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9R7...pQTRFdfRwLH4kU
                LOL.... and no TP rolls were harmed in making this brilliant video,,

                Comment


                • Best COVID meme I've seen.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Self service is up in Oregon for now...I wonder how many Oregonians have never done it....I think I will avoid gas stations for awhile...

                    Oregon gas temporarily self-serve

                    https://www.registerguard.com/news/2...ily-self-serve
                    It's been clarified that self-service is not mandatory in Oregon. It's an option only where a gas station owner exhausts staffing options. https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...e-gas-ban.html

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by user4 View Post

                      Bingo, I have a few friends that think that "goodfellas" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzCWog7iLU4 was a great movie.

                      I have never been anything but repulsed by the glorification of "bad fellas that want to get allot of money for doing nothing and making everyone around them miserable", good grief.

                      Actually if you really knew mobsters you would be sick to your stomach and wouldnt sleep for a week after watching such movies, there is nothing glorious in it.

                      Whitey Bulger recently met his ending in prison, read a biography, its a 50 year trail of other peoples blood and tears.

                      The real mob mentality is very simple; "I dont want to work for what I want to take".
                      If you want a personal story on this - in 1934, when my Mom was 16 yo, she and her sister were driving in a car with their father. He got in a little fender-bender, but unfortunately, did not realize he had run into the limo of a Mafia don. The don told his 2 goons to go out and beat up the guy for hitting their car - and they killed my grandfather, right in front of my mother and her sister, who were trying to make them stop.

                      It was never spoken of in our family. I just knew that my grandfather had died "in a car accident" well before I was born. My mother finally told me the story when I was about 35 years old. She brought in a file she had, with all the faded, yellowed newspapers clippings from the death and the subsequent trial. I still have it.

                      They were all acquitted. That's Mafia mobsters for you - in real life. My mother never saw the Godfather, and never would.

                      Comment


                      • HASBRO RELEASES EPISODES OF THE OG G.I. JOE ANIMATED SERIES ON YOUTUBE

                        https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/...u5gbRB-oZcw2y0

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                          If you want a personal story on this - in 1934, .... That's Mafia mobsters for you - in real life. My mother never saw the Godfather, and never would.
                          Heart breaking, I can only gain solace in knowing that your grandfather's name is honored by and through you and your fantastic life and your countless contributions to humanity.

                          I have a similar story about a great grandfather so I know a small bit of what you felt when you were first told about those events.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            Self service is up in Oregon for now...I wonder how many Oregonians have never done it....I think I will avoid gas stations for awhile...

                            Oregon gas temporarily self-serve

                            https://www.registerguard.com/news/2...ily-self-serve
                            I bet there's a youtube video explaining how to do it.

                            Comment


                            • While we are in Mafia mode, I told this story before that is both amusing and sobering.
                              Twenty years ago, during my publishing phase, I had PR man in Vegas whose father was a casino boss in the 1940-50s. One night he called me in some distress. He had fronted the $100,000 appearance money for an A list celebrity, who was a no-show for some event. The promoter of the event reneged on repaying him immediately as agreed and he had a serious short term cash flow problem. He was calling ten of his clients to borrow $10,000 each for a day. I agreed to wire him the money the next day. Before I got around to it, he called me back to say Thanks, never mind. He called some of father's old associates,retired to Florida, had a cashiers check from the promoter in hand as we spoke.
                              Last edited by lonewolf; 03-30-2020, 10:14 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Pego View Post

                                Having capable, talented kids for grandchildren feels good, eh ?
                                Very gratifying..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X