Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on coping with C19 lockdown

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    China’s vaccine diplomacy appears to be not just about promoting its own vaccine, but also irresponsibly spreading scare stories about the (much more effective) Pfizer vaccine

    https://mobile.twitter.com/gadyepste...64251654803460
    Brazil apparently reporting that the Chinese vaccine efficacy is only 50%

    Comment


    • I am scheduled for my vaccination on Thursday morning.

      Comment


      • I could be wrong, but the good news about the efficacy numbers that are stated (for all the C19 vaccines) are for complete immunity and a significant portion of those in the other % gain at least the ability to suffer weaker attacks if do get infected.

        Comment


        • Got my first Moderna dose on Saturday at a local high school, one of the many vaccine "hubs" that are now operational in NY City. When I first tried to make an appointment at another school, I got a notice on my computer screen that I was confirmed for the date I had picked, but I didn't receive an email confirmation. I thought that was strange and when I called the help-line, I was told to try again. Went through the whole process again and the same thing happened. I finally had success when I applied at the 2nd school, and received a 2nd confirmation the morning of my visit that contained a barcode that was necessary for admittance(in fact, I received 26 copies of the confirmation!). While waiting in line, a couple in front of me showed a printout of their computer screen that showed their "confirmation" to a volunteer checking on barcodes, and were told that wasn't good enough. After pleading their case to a few other officials, they were told that the site only ordered as many doses, which were delivered that morning, as there were final confirmations, so they wouldn't be able to get their doses that day! Don't know how it works in other states, but be aware of the confirmation process if you're booking an appointment online.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by gh View Post
            I could be wrong, but the good news about the efficacy numbers that are stated (for all the C19 vaccines) are for complete immunity and a significant portion of those in the other % gain at least the ability to suffer weaker attacks if do get infected.
            The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are “essentially 100 percent effective against serious disease,” Dr. Paul Offit, the director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, said. “It’s ridiculously encouraging.”

            https://mobile.twitter.com/mattdpear...46032537993216




            Comment


            • As for other states on handling vaccines...here's a horror story...

              Story. Name changed to protect the (mostly) innocent. My friend Todd is over 65 and lives in CA. The other day, Governor Newsom goes on national TV and says those over 65 are now eligible for the vaccine. Todd goes online, and makes an appointment at a mass vaccination site.

              https://mobile.twitter.com/btshapir/...18053766410240
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-18-2021, 09:46 PM.

              Comment


              • I know 3 people in Eugene who out of the blue got their first shots this weekend...all 70+

                Comment


                • meanwhile, in Michigan...

                  Greenhouse of Walled Lake will give you free pre-rolled joint if you’ve received COVID-19 vaccine
                  ‘Pot for shots’ starts on Jan. 22


                  https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...id-19-vaccine/

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Fewer than 0.5% of Americans have been vaccinated

                    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLeadCN...97163196846081
                    I know this is killing you to have it clarified to a less woe is us format but the stat refers to those who have had both shots. Now what would make you think that those in the US would have had both shots to any great degree by this point?

                    Even more miserable for you is that about 1million people in the US were vaccinated on Friday in the US which, if the trend continues, will have us up to 100million or more within 3 months.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

                      I know this is killing you to have it clarified to a less woe is us format but the stat refers to those who have had both shots. Now what would make you think that those in the US would have had both shots to any great degree by this point?

                      Even more miserable for you is that about 1million people in the US were vaccinated on Friday in the US which, if the trend continues, will have us up to 100million or more within 3 months.
                      How about not being an asshole with your stupid comment..I am just quoting CNN...

                      If you have gripes about it I suggest you take it up there....

                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-18-2021, 11:41 PM.

                      Comment


                      • ad hominem attacks a sure way to get sent on a timeout.

                        Comment


                        • Meanwhile...in the FT...

                          Health service role in vaccine rollout enables UK to pull ahead of the pack

                          Centralised NHS, strong planning and willingness to spend bring success following crisis problems

                          The UK has pulled ahead of other large advanced economies in the race to vaccinate against coronavirus, and had inoculated almost 6 per cent of its population by the end of last week.

                          After performing poorly in controlling the spread of the virus, testing and tracing positive cases, preventing deaths and protecting the economy, the stronger performance in vaccinating the public has allowed ministers to dream that the end of Britain’s crisis might be in sight.

                          The success is because of a combination of strong planning, a willingness to spend and the centralised structure of the NHS.

                          Comment


                          • My two shots are scheduled exactly four weeks apart, so I will be fully vaccinated by mid-February. I do not know yet which vaccine I will be getting.

                            In NJ, you can register with the state which will eventually give you a link to a provider but you can also register directly with a provider: medical center, medical group, pharmacy, even some supermarkets. I got a call from my doctor’s medical group. I do have to go to one of their locations about forty miles away, but so be it.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                              My two shots are scheduled exactly four weeks apart, so I will be fully vaccinated by mid-February. I do not know yet which vaccine I will be getting.

                              In NJ, you can register with the state which will eventually give you a link to a provider but you can also register directly with a provider: medical center, medical group, pharmacy, even some supermarkets. I got a call from my doctor’s medical group. I do have to go to one of their locations about forty miles away, but so be it.
                              That's probably Moderna, which schedules 4 weeks apart - Pfizer/BioNTech is scheduling 3 weeks apart, I believe. I know Moderna is 4 weeks because that was what I got and I go back Feb 5.

                              Comment


                              • Meanwhile...in the FT..

                                Indonesia puts social media stars at front of vaccine line

                                STEFANIA PALMA — SINGAPORE

                                Indonesia is using an unusual metric to decide who is first in line to receive a Covid-19 vaccine: the number of likes and followers someone has on Instagram and YouTube.

                                While the country is prioritising healthcare and public service workers to be vaccinated, it is also letting social media influencers jump the queue in the hopes of persuading a sceptical public to take the jab.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X