Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I was concerned when I read, the day after I get my first, that the place I got it was closing as a Covid vax site, but subsequently read that it would ONLY be open for the second shot.
    Same here in Pasco County where they kept one of the places open only as a 2nd shot site. Problem I'm having is with my 87 year old MIL and FIL who live in Hillsborough but close enough to Pasco where either County would be ok. However the process is different in each county and they are not particularly equipped to deal with the process of getting an appointment from a technology standpoint. So I'm going to take care of signing them up but may wait a few more days to see if the state completely takes over the process as DeSantis said they would last week.

Comment

• Here in Lane County OR, last week Conor found a county website to sign up for vaccines administered over these past five days, so he signed up, as did I and a few of my friends. Two days later they changed the website to include qualifications that none of us qualified for (such as being a heath care worker - no age groups yet). One buddy had signed up his 90-year-old mother, who does not qualify under the new rules, but when they showed up for the vaccine they managed to talk the docs into a shot for her. Conor, who is way older than me but not quite 90, got turned away when he showed up for his vaccine the day they changed the website. I contacted the county folks before my appointment and they reassigned my time slot & shot to someone on the waiting list.
      bad hammy
      Last edited by bad hammy; 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
        It doesn't mean you have to poison this forum with your negativism. I feel sorry for you. You are more negative than any person I've ever dealt with.
        Connor is probably a great person in real life, full of laughs and happiness and able to make those around him happy in person. The problem is that when a person, any person in an impersonal online forum sees the world entirely through a political lens, where every observable fact is tied to the political machinations of political friend and political foe, it can be very hard to follow their train of reasoning on basic matters like flus and vaccines, like even the weather and tides and climate. The politics so animates and inspires them that it is both the cause of all and the effect that must seen. Most people are not able to see the world that way and so there is an online disconnect. This is the downside of online forums.

on the bright side of politics .. our brilliant Governor has announced that now that we have spent 3 months making sure that the teen and 20something perfectly healthy state felon population in our prisons have gotten their vaccine shots it is now time that all of the elderly residents of the state can be slated for their vaccines in the coming months. It is great to have a Governor that understands risks and how to mitigate them!
        user4
        Last edited by user4; 01-26-2021, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• My husband got his first shot last week (first responder).
          My dad got his a few weeks ago, my mom is scheduled for next week (Seattle).
          In Arizona, my MIL was able to get signed up (I think through work? She is a professor at ASU, though fully remote) and they heard if she took my FIL with her, they would vaccinate both of them. It worked! They both got their first shot Saturday.
          My SIL got her first shot Saturday too (she works at a public health lab).

I am pessimistic about how long it will be until I get mine, but I am very excited all of the grandparents got theirs. We have had minimal face time with them the past 11 months, and consequently, way less breaks from my kids than normal. We will likely plan some extended visits for the kids with their grandparents once the grandparents are 2 weeks past the second dose.

Comment

• Great article on what the vaccine means - https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ccines/617829/

Comment

Great article on what the vaccine means - https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ccines/617829/
              Key paragraph:

The message that vaccines aren’t 100 percent effective in preventing disease, and that the data are still out on how much they reduce transmission, is an accurate and important one. Risk-mitigation strategies are needed in public spaces, particularly indoors, until more people are vaccinated and infections wane. But not all human interactions take place in public. Advising people that they must do nothing differently after vaccination—not even in the privacy of their homes—creates the misimpression that vaccines offer little benefit at all. Vaccines provide a true reduction of risk, not a false sense of security. And trying to eliminate even the lowest-risk changes in behavior both underestimates people’s need to be close to one another and discourages the very thing that will get everyone out of this mess: vaccine uptake.

Comment

• Interesting blog by U.S. Biathlete Clare Egen about living, training, and competing during the pandemic - https://clareegan.wordpress.com/2021...ur-in-2020-21/

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                  Good point - you folks have an advantage in that way. On the other hand with DeSantis/Kemp/etc. folks running things, you also have a disadvantage or two. In any event, it'll be a long winter . . .
                  Im not convinced there is much effect from the political class anywhere regarding this virus. When I compare hard core lock down states with the livenletdie states I see no discernible difference. For instance I compare NewMexico with South Dakota and I cant see a real difference. Nothing really jumps out at you with the rates of infection or the death rates, no clear evidence that the political class makes a dimes worth of difference.

Comment

• A year of covid has reaffirmed my initial opinion that no one knows the optimum protocol to most effectively combat this pandemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      A year of covid has reaffirmed my initial opinion that no one knows the optimum protocol to most effectively combat this pandemic.
                      Had masks and social-distancing been universally used, the current death total would be nowhere near what it is now.
                      It was the haphazard protocols used locally that screwed us.
                      I do think, however, we did not need to shut the economy down so drastically - again, IF safety measures had been followed.

Comment

• Mitigate. Not eliminate. At least currently.

Comment

7-day rolling average decreased again yesterday - 15th consecutive day in US - hopefully that can continue
                          Down again yesterday - 16 straight days of decreasing cases (7-day rolling average) in the USA.

Strange thing is that deaths have not followed that pattern. In the middle of the 16-day streak they went up for a couple days and then levelled off but they are still very high.

Comment

Down again yesterday - 16 straight days of decreasing cases (7-day rolling average) in the USA.

Strange thing is that deaths have not followed that pattern. In the middle of the 16-day streak they went up for a couple days and then levelled off but they are still very high.
                            Somebody's got to let the news broadcasters know this because, now that the political mess as abated a bit in the US, it's all Covid all the time and every piece of information is some sort of "crisis".

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                              Somebody's got to let the news broadcasters know this because, now that the political mess as abated a bit in the US, it's all Covid all the time and every piece of information is some sort of "crisis".
                              The media does not want to hear or propagate any good news. If it bleeds, it ledes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Had masks and social-distancing been universally used, the current death total would be nowhere near what it is now
                                And handwashing. The "optimal protocol" is pretty simple, and easy to understand. But no one knows how to enforce it without coercion (especially social distancing). If you implement it with iron discipline, you can get this virus under control. Macau, Taiwan, and Singapore are perfect examples.

Comment

Working...
                                X