Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This story was apparently in the LA Times last week, but I just saw it elsewhere. A bit scary for anyone who's flying these days (which excludes me).

Headline - Airline pilots blame Covid-19 inaction for in-flight errors

Lede - A pilot says mistakes are being made because they have been inactive for months

https://www.dhakatribune.com/world/2...-flight-errors

Comment

• meanwhile in the sunshine....

A video taken at a market in Naples, Florida shows many customers and employees not wearing masks.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...s-100487237927

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        Lede - A pilot says mistakes are being made because they have been inactive for months
        I'm calling BS - sheer laziness. There are full-size flight simulators that are available.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I'm calling BS - sheer laziness. There are full-size flight simulators that are available.
          Time in a full-size simulator is not free (or cheap). Like it or not I doubt they ran all there pilots through significant sim time after not flying for awhile. They MIGHT (and I emphasize might) after seeing stories like the one above, but I would not bank on it.

Comment

• it's about that vaccination card...

The Better Business Bureau is warning people not to post their Covid-19 vaccination cards on social media

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/us/va...rnd/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
              . . . The Better Business Bureau . . .
              Who knew they were still a thing??

Comment

meanwhile in the sunshine....

A video taken at a market in Naples, Florida shows many customers and employees not wearing masks.

FTR - this place is owned by the dweeb in the video and tends to attact mask deniers. A self fullfilling prophecy rather than an overreaching issue. It has been months since I've noticed even one person not wearing a face covering in any retail outfit here in the Tampa area.

In short....if you want to find a grouping of idiots...it isn't hard to do so....anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                  It has been months since I've noticed even one person not wearing a face covering in any retail outfit here in the Tampa area.
                  The ONLY place here that I don't see masks is on the beach, and even there, people (not already in a small group), are keeping the 6-foot margin.
                  The brief ban on beach-walking, back in March, was a stupid idea in retrospect, but we are all smarter now.

Comment

A massive, unmasked homecoming party at a steakhouse in Missouri included a deliberate campaign to hide from pesky health officials and contact tracers.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rolla-...spreader-event
                    The aftermath of homecoming party in Rolla. (The superspreader event was on Nov. 7.)

https://covidactnow.org/us/missouri-...nty/?s=1577517

Comment

meanwhile in the sunshine....

Just go up 20 odd miles to my Gym (L.A. Fitness) and you will see less than 1% of the people masked. I see unmasked people having chats with each other just a few feet apart all the time. I would guess that in the 45 minutes I'm there at least 150-200 people are there, thousand or more every day. That's why I'm double masking. Everywhere else I go (usually stores) 99% of the people are masked.
                      I suspect the gym rats think they're "too fit" to get sick, but what amazes me is the number of over 60-70 aged folks without masks.

Comment

• Today I went for an extended edition of my weekly errand run into town; pretty much everyone was masked up and (mostly) keeping a ways away. I'm now double masking, both N95, (but with the covid-inspired ZZTop beard, or most any beards, there are gaps), always wear nitrile glove in town & always take a shower when I get back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Some insight from an article on potential pilot shortages dut to COVID-19. No link to main article because the rest is irrelevant to this particular issue.

At least every 90 days, pilots have to prove their proficiency in performing three take-offs and landings. That's almost impossible during a pandemic, not even in a simulator, which would be sufficient. But they are mostly closed down right now.

Schmitt himself can't currently fly after losing his job, but is lucky for the moment, as his license only expires in March 2021. "After that I would have to extend it on my own. Either the Federal Employment Agency (BA) will help me or a new employer, otherwise I'd have to pay for it myself," he fears. "That can easily amount to €2,000 including travel to get your license extended." That's a lot of money for an unemployed pilot.
                          I also read last year that one of the Korean (?) airlines was flying planes to nowhere, just so pilots could keep currency. The reason being there were insufficient simulators for the number of grounded pilots and nobody was going to invest in more simulators that would be unused in a year or two's time. That's if the simulators could be delivered in time in the first place. Price for proper simulators (not Microsoft on your PC) seems to be USD15-20m, not including data packages and other ancillaries.

Comment

• Wisconsin has made older residents eligible (65%+?) but I do not see any chaos about it. A medical group had contacted a set of patients and asked about interest and and feasible timing. Some weeks later (4-5?) I got an email saying that I could sign up for a time slot. By the time I got on my first six choices were no available, but slots covered about eight days and twenty time slots, so you got the sense that there were a number of slots. And given how it was done there was not a problem getting on to the site. I asked a couple people that were a little younger and they did not get such an invite, so they were slicing thinly enough that there were not a huge number going at once. That way they can continue to add slices and they well have added people to the immediate pool when spots were not being pick up quickly any more.

Comment

• Got my first shot today, second shot scheduled in three weeks. Painless, going out for afternoon run/jog now. Huge geriatric turnout. The vaccine site received 5600 doses this week, shot 3500 today.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                                Got my first shot today, second shot scheduled in three weeks. Painless, going out for afternoon run/jog now. Huge geriatric turnout. The vaccine site received 5600 doses this week, shot 3500 today.
                                That is great news!.. just knowing lonewolf is out there strong as ever brings great joy to the heart.

In other non-related news, we in Massachusetts are quite proud of our State gov eldercare policies, only 13% (1/8) of our elderly have died of covid in our state controlled nursing homes.

Comment

Working...
                                X