Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know next to nothing about vaccines, but...

1. All the vaccines that have received EUA have much higher effectiveness than FDA's standard for approval (which is the minimum of 50%).
    2. While the long term effects of vaccines are still unknown, the long terms effects of covid are also unknown.
    3. The consequences of catching covid are far more serious than the consequences of catching seasonal flu, especially if you consider the effects on other people.
    4. "Wait and see" people are basically free riding on other people taking their risk to build herd immunity for them.

I don't think anyone should be shamed for #4, but there is nothing to brag about that. And there is certainly no need to mock other people for taking the risk for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
      I know next to nothing about vaccines, but...

1. All the vaccines that have received EUA have much higher effectiveness than FDA's standard for approval (which is the minimum of 50%).
      2. While the long term effects of vaccines are still unknown, the long terms effects of covid are also unknown.
      3. The consequences of catching covid are far more serious than the consequences of catching seasonal flu, especially if you consider the effects on other people.
      4. "Wait and see" people are basically free riding on other people taking their risk to build herd immunity for them.

I don't think anyone should be shamed for #4, but there is nothing to brag about that. And there is certainly no need to mock other people for taking the risk for them.
      Then #4 people should continue to wear masks and socially distance, and be prepared for possible loss of employment.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
        I know next to nothing about vaccines, but...

1. Effectiveness is just one part of the equation. Long-term side effects is the other.
        2. The unknown is why this wasn't a no-brainer for me, but there are others who weighed the preponderance of evidence and came to a different conclusion.
        3. For some people COVID-19 is much more serious than the flu but not for everyone.
        4. The "wait and see" crowd aren't thinking rationally IMO. There is no more significant information we're going to get in the near future, so the sensible thing to do is make a decision and live with it. Inevitably, some of these folks are going to end up on a ventilator while they're waiting to get "more information".

One of the folks I work with is a 68-year-old who had mild case of COVID-19 last year. His sister-in-law, who also had COVID-19, got the vaccine and she was very sick for several days, even sicker than he was than when she had COVID-19. He said that his sister-in-law's experience, the EUA status of the vaccine and the fact that he figures he still has some immunity, is why he decided to forego the vaccine.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Then #4 people should . . . be prepared for possible loss of employment.
          In the US this is the hammer that can most effectively enforce vaccine compliance, along with the "no shirts, no shoes, no shots, no service" signs on the consumer side. There is a ton of case law that allows employers and service providers, both public & private, to enforce similar measures.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
            In the US this is the hammer that can most effectively enforce vaccine compliance, along with the "no shirts, no shoes, no shots, no service" signs on the consumer side. There is a ton of case law that allows employers and service providers, both public & private, to enforce similar measures.

in anticipation of this, wouldn't surprise me if there isn't already a cottage industry in creating fake vax cards; there's certainly no tech involved at this point

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

in anticipation of this, wouldn't surprise me if there isn't already a cottage industry in creating fake vax cards; there's certainly no tech involved at this point
              You’re right about that. Whoever designed the card I received was working hard to win "the most counterfeitable certificate design of all time” award . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I read about the toilet paper connection earlier this week. I didn't buy any extra last year but maybe now there might be a real shortage and not an imagined one.
                Visiting my parents now. They seem prepared for TP Shortage 2.0: (About half of what you see are paper towels, but they can do double duty. One duty at a time.)

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  Visiting my parents now. They seem prepared for TP Shortage 2.0: (About half of what you see are paper towels, but they can do double duty. One duty at a time.)
                  Pikers . . . Noobs!
                  I can't even get to my side of the walk-in closet!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                    One of the folks I work with is a 68-year-old who had mild case of COVID-19 last year. His sister-in-law, who also had COVID-19, got the vaccine and she was very sick for several days, even sicker than he was than when she had COVID-19. He said that his sister-in-law's experience, the EUA status of the vaccine and the fact that he figures he still has some immunity, is why he decided to forego the vaccine.
                    Those who already had a confirmed case of COVID certainly do have a much more rational position for refusing the vaccine or delaying it, than the uninfected people who think they'll be safe by refusing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

I guess....but it is also going to be very easy and free to get vaccinated soon for everyone...certainly by the time people are requiring a card....and probably easier than going to the trouble of getting a fake card which you would most likely have to pay for...

Comment

• NJ drops the priority age for vaccinations from 65 to 55 on Monday. It also will give priority to 16+ year olds with intellectual/developmental disabilities to get the vaccine.

Comment

• New Jersey seems to be lagging behind many other states. Tomorrow, Louisiana opens up to everyone 16 and older with no restrictions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            I guess....but it is also going to be very easy and free to get vaccinated soon for everyone...certainly by the time people are requiring a card....and probably easier than going to the trouble of getting a fake card which you would most likely have to pay for...
                            Anti-vaxxers will go to the trouble of getting the fake card, or losing their job, even if getting the vaccine is easier than either. They're convinced that the vaccine will kill them or make them extremely sick, so they are willing to suffer great consequences to avoid the vaccine, including job loss and getting COVID itself.
                            Last edited by 18.99s; 03-29-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• My wife was told by a CVS worker that wearing a double mask would lead to breathing problems in the future. My wife said: "I don't think Dr Fauci would agree with you." Fauci lies" was the response.
                              For NotDutra5's sake I am not calling this woman "stupid." Merely uninformed.
                              Last edited by jeremyp; 03-29-2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

You’re right about that. Whoever designed the card I received was working hard to win "the most counterfeitable certificate design of all time” award . . .
                                Yup. I could fake the one I got in a minute.

Comment

Working...
                                X