Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN1965
    replied
    France's famed Bogdanoff twins die of COVID after rejecting vaccines (yahoo.com)

Controversial French TV stars and famous twins Igor and Grichka Bogdanoff were inseparable in life, and in death. They had refused to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, believing their good health would save them, but were admitted to a hospital on the same day last month and diagnosed with COVID-19.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Give me liberty or give me death... well she got the latter.

California Deputy DA Who Fought Vaccine Mandate Dies Abruptly After Falling Ill With COVID at Age 46 (yahoo.com)

“There’s nothing that matters more than our freedoms right now,” she was quoted telling the crowd during the rally at Irvine City Hall.

Leave a comment:

• Django
    replied
    Looks like persuasive argument for mandatory vaccination for those in the military.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    meanwhile, up in the sky....

US woman tests positive for COVID-19 mid-flight, isolates for 5 hours in bathroom

Marisa Fotieo, a teacher from Michigan, said her throat began to hurt halfway through the trip on December 19 so she went to the bathroom to perform a rapid Covid test which confirmed she was infected, WABC-TV reported.

https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...hroom/2395142/

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...officials-say/

About two dozen sailors on a Navy warship — or roughly 25 percent of the crew — have now tested positive for COVID-19, keeping the ship sidelined in port at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay in Cuba Monday, according to U.S. defense officials.

The littoral combat ship Milwaukee has a crew of a bit more than 100, and it was forced to pause its deployment late last week because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Interesting and thoughtful responses. 👍

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Phil Mickelson tweeted this. I share it in the same spirit he tweeted it

Serious question since I’m not a dr. If omicron is contagious but not deadly(25,000 cases in Africa with no deaths) why try and control it? Why not let it go and let people get it and develop immunity? Especially for those who won’t get vaccinated? Pls no hate, I’m just curious.
    It would overwhelm the hospital and medical systems, and it's still too early to see how the old will respond. We also know that having had covid only provides some protection from future infection. As Faucci says having had covid and a vaccination regimen is the best protection. And another big reason is a rapidly spreading virus gives it more opportunity to mutate into something much worse.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied

Serious question since I’m not a dr. If omicron is contagious but not deadly(25,000 cases in Africa with no deaths) why try and control it? Why not let it go and let people get it and develop immunity? Especially for those who won’t get vaccinated? Pls no hate, I’m just curious.
    Some people have already died from it. And there hasn't been enough time and number of confirmed cases of the variant across all age groups to get a solid measure on how deadly it is yet.

Also, if it turns out that the probability of hospitalization or death is 50% less with Omicron, but it then spreads 3 times as fast as Delta, it would put more strain on hospitals and kill more people. It could be milder at the individual level but more deadly at the aggregate population level due to increased transmissibility.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

do we know that having a case confers better immunity than a vaccine?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Simple answer - just because it's been mild so far has zero assurance that some people will NOT die of it in the immediate future. Letting people get sick is, essentially, a terrible precedent for modern medical science to set. And 'enabling' people to be anti-vaxxers is also a terrible idea.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied

NAIROBI — South Africa’s huge wave of omicron cases appears to be subsiding just as quickly as it grew in the weeks after the country first announced to the world that a new coronavirus variant had been identified.

South Africa’s top infectious-disease scientist, who has been leading the country’s pandemic response, said Wednesday that the country had rapidly passed the peak of new omicron cases and, judging by preliminary evidence, he expected “every other country, or almost every other, to follow the same trajectory.”

Also on Wednesday, South Africa’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases released a study — not yet peer-reviewed — that bolstered earlier findings from the country that omicron was causing fewer hospitalizations and instances of severe side effects than previous coronavirus variants.

The study found that the omicron variant was 80 percent less likely to lead to hospitalization than the delta variant and that for patients who were hospitalized, the risk of severe illness was 30 percent lower.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...navirus-cases/

This latter study is important because it compares Delta to Omicron. Concern had been that Africans were just less susceptible to serious covid due to lower age of people and previous immunities.
    Last edited by jeremyp; 12-22-2021, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    The chief executive of Southwest Airlines, Gary Kelly, tested positive for the coronavirus after appearing at a Senate hearing with other airline industry officials this week, the company confirmed on Friday.

At one point during the hearing, Senator Roger Wicker, Republican of Mississippi, asked Mr. Kelly if passengers would ever be able to travel on planes without masks.

“I think the case is very strong that masks don’t add much, if anything, in the air cabin environment,” Mr. Kelly said, praising the air filtration on planes. “It’s very safe and very high quality compared to any other indoor setting.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/17/b...mid=tw-nytimes
    Hmm, wonder if he flew home?

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam$ View Post
    A popular local HS coach died yesterday at 42yo. She was a large (6'3) person. Is size a problem if you have a lung-attacking virus?
    I haven't read anything indicating that height is a risk factor for severe Covid, but obesity is. Was she also obese or close to obese?

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Southwest CEO said masks don't do much on planes at maskless Senate hearing. He tested positive for COVID the next day. (yahoo.com)

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly has tested positive for COVID-19 after a high-profile Senate commerce committee hearing in Washington, D.C.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X