Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria Azarenka wonders why US Open fans have to be vaccinated but players don't

https://sports.yahoo.com/victoria-az...025359110.html

Fans at this year's US Open are required to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine to gain entry to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Players are not.

Victoria Azarenka wants to know why. The two-time Australian Open champion broached the subject during a press conference on Wednesday at Flushing Meadows.

Comment

• This is perhaps a belated or naive question but since I do not know any anti-vaxers to interrogate, what reasons do they give for their resistance. Beyond ideological, religious, philosophical, political, irrational physical apprehension, bull headiness, and ignorance, what exactly are they afraid of or object to?
      Last edited by lonewolf; 09-03-2021, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
        I just contacted my doc based on a recent post elsewhere by bambam about the rosacea medicine Soolantra. Like bam I'm devastatingly handsome until the rosacea takes over so yes, the right medical product endorsement from a trusted source works . . .
        So my insurer (Blue Cross, from my perspective a lousy medical insurer - employer provided) denied Soolantra/ivermectin cream until I tried Finacea gel first (Metrogel being their first stab as a rosacea fix - not). Doc warned me that the Soolantra could be pricey.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          Victoria Azarenka wonders why US Open fans have to be vaccinated but players don't
          I really hope this blows up in USTA's faces.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            This is perhaps a belated or naive question but since I do know any anti-vaxers to interrogate, what reasons do they give for their resistance. Beyond ideological, religious, philosophical, political, irrational physical apprehension, bull headiness, and ignorance, what exactly are they afraid of or object to?
            Well you have to diivide them up, between those who don't trust new medicine; At the top of the list would be many Afro Americans who do not trust government produced medicine. Any Afro Americans here who want to talk about this? Their experience with white Health care providers is quite often unsatisfactory. There is the memory of the Tuskegee institute experiments on giving syphllis to Black people in order to study it: shades of Mengele. Then there are those who believe vaccines cause autism. Bobby Kennedy Jr. leads the pack. Then there are those who want to wait and see. Amongst the young I expect it's: "So I get it, what's the big deal?"
            Then there are those who are simply contrarians by nature. Whatever the majority believe in they oppose. Vaccinations, Global warming,government sponsored health care if the opposition likes it, they don't mentality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              I really hope this blows up in USTA's faces.
              The problem with that argument. Atticus, is that you're effectively wishing that a lot of people get sick with COVID, which is not something we should be wishing for under any circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

The problem with that argument. Atticus, is that you're effectively wishing that a lot of people get sick with COVID, which is not something we should be wishing for under any circumstances.
                I'd say the tenor rippling through many of the threads here is the opposite: a lot of schadenfreude and near-to-outright glee that the benighted unwashed masses are getting what they deserve.
                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

I'd say the tenor rippling through many of the threads here is the opposite: a lot of schadenfreude and near-to-outright glee that the benighted unwashed masses are getting what they deserve.
                  You're right. There's a lot more animosity towards anti-vaxxers than there is towards people who don't wear seatbelts or helmets while riding motorcycles. Perhaps it's because the former group has prevented our schools, restaurants, movie theaters, stadiums, etc. from returning to normalcy and caused our hospitals to be overrun while later group hasn't. Thanks to the former group I won't be in Detroit this weekend because for the second year in a row the Detroit Jazz Festival was forced to have a virtual event because of COVID-19.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

You're right. There's a lot more animosity towards anti-vaxxers than there is towards people who don't wear seatbelts or helmets while riding motorcycles. Perhaps it's because the former group has prevented our schools, restaurants, movie theaters, stadiums, etc. from returning to normalcy and caused our hospitals to be overrun while later group hasn't. Thanks to the former group I won't be in Detroit this weekend because for the second year in a row the Detroit Jazz Festival was forced to have a virtual event because of COVID-19.
                    Exactly...

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      This is perhaps a belated or naive question but since I do know any anti-vaxers to interrogate, what reasons do they give for their resistance. Beyond ideological, religious, philosophical, political, irrational physical apprehension, bull headiness, and ignorance, what exactly are they afraid of or object to?
                      Their stated reasons are just post-facto rationalizations for the real reason, which is that their beliefs need to conform to their socio-political circle. When one reason becomes false or is proven false (for example, not having full FDA approval), they come up with another. Loyalty to the group is more important than truth and logic, and changing their beliefs to disagree with the group would feel like a betrayal.

Comment

• The mother of a college student who died 'screaming through the mask' wished she had made her get the COVID-19 vaccine (yahoo.com)

Gray's mother said that societal pressure from nearby friends and family influenced their decision to remain unvaccinated.

"I feel like it's my fault," Tabitha said, according to FOX 4. "I should've forced it."

"I shouldn't have let other people in my head or life get to me," Tabitha said. "I should've done what I needed to do to protect my family."

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                          The mother of a college student who died 'screaming through the mask' wished she had made her get the COVID-19 vaccine (yahoo.com)

Gray's mother said that societal pressure from nearby friends and family influenced their decision to remain unvaccinated.
                          That's what it's all about. Conforming to the social circle is the highest priority.

Comment

• Once again, stupidity should be painful.

Comment

• With the size of some of the crowds at today's college football games, it will be interesting to see if there are any aftershocks of cases/hospitalizations/deaths over the next few weeks.

Comment

• I simply cannot conceive the mental machinations of anyone resisting the covid vaccination in the face of demonstrated
                                dire consequences.

Comment

Working...
                                X