Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on coping with C19 lockdown

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by gh View Post
    yeah for YouTube!

    YouTube Bans Prominent Vaccine Skeptics, Outlaws Vids That Question Safety or Effectiveness of Vaccines


    https://ijr.com/youtube-bans-promine...-outlaws-vids/
    Hooray indeed.... banning absolute nonsense by a private company is hardly censorship....though I'm sure the idiots will find what they want elsewhere.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ts-dying-covid
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-30-2021, 02:25 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
      The only folks I feel empathy for at this point are pregnant women. I can understand why pregnant women would have been hesitant to get vaccinated when they became eligible for the vaccine given the scarcity data of the effects of the vaccine on unborn children at the time.
      That's the way I feel about it as well.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
        The only folks I feel empathy for at this point are pregnant women. I can understand why pregnant women would have been hesitant to get vaccinated when they became eligible for the vaccine given the scarcity data of the effects of the vaccine on unborn children at the time.
        but this just in..

        CDC issues urgent alert: Pregnant women need the Covid-19 vaccines

        More than 160 expectant mothers have died from Covid, the CDC reported. Twenty-two of them died last month.


        https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ccine-rcna2422

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gh View Post

          but this just in..

          CDC issues urgent alert: Pregnant women need the Covid-19 vaccines

          More than 160 expectant mothers have died from Covid, the CDC reported. Twenty-two of them died last month.


          https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ccine-rcna2422
          In related news, my niece got covid this summer while pregnant and made it through the illness with reasonably mild symptoms, but a couple of weeks later had her water break four months early. She then spent a month in a unit at a children's hospital waiting for the baby to arrive, which she did three months premature. Everyone's reasonably OK at this point all things considered (it's too early to know for sure about the baby's long-term health). This prompted me to look around online and it appears that pregnancy issues for covid patients is definitely a thing, but one of those things we don't have tons of research on yet.
          Last edited by bad hammy; 09-30-2021, 04:34 PM.

          Comment


          • "Free Speech" as a good thing and "Censorship' as a bad thing, are two of the most misunderstood facets of modern culture.

            Free speech does NOT include all sort of everyday things, most importantly . . . lies.

            and

            Censorship does not mean we can't screen out undesirable influences like . . . child pornography.

            It is vitally important that we are not scared of restricting 'free speech' or using 'censorship' to keep us safe and secure. The lies spread about 'Covid' or 'the Election' or 'Global Warming' or any of the other hot-button issues that WILL affect our collective 'pursuit of happiness' SHOULD be acted upon, swiftly and definitively.

            The obvious problem here is 'who is deciding what the lies are?'. I just hope it falls to people who are intelligent, educated, kind, considerate, empathetic, pro-active and use science, facts, logic and rationality to determine the Greatest Good.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gh View Post

              but this just in..

              CDC issues urgent alert: Pregnant women need the Covid-19 vaccines

              More than 160 expectant mothers have died from Covid, the CDC reported. Twenty-two of them died last month.


              https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ccine-rcna2422
              That's all good, but women who are well into their pregnancies now didn't have this information when they became pregnant and some weren't vaccine eligible at the time they conceived.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gh View Post

                but this just in..

                CDC issues urgent alert: Pregnant women need the Covid-19 vaccines

                More than 160 expectant mothers have died from Covid, the CDC reported. Twenty-two of them died last month.


                https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ccine-rcna2422
                My sister is a recently retired head of pediatric nursing at a large hospital in NY State. She has been part of previous vaccine testing groups and expressed her full confidence in the Covid vaccines from the start. She is an ardent anti-vaxxer opponent and in general does not speak kindly of anti-vaxxers for nearly any reason. She does say that she understands to a degree the hesitancy women of child rearing age have with the vaccine even if she also feels they are wrong in feeling that way.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  "Free Speech" as a good thing and "Censorship' as a bad thing, are two of the most misunderstood facets of modern culture.

                  Free speech does NOT include all sort of everyday things, most importantly . . . lies.

                  and

                  Censorship does not mean we can't screen out undesirable influences like . . . child pornography.

                  It is vitally important that we are not scared of restricting 'free speech' or using 'censorship' to keep us safe and secure. The lies spread about 'Covid' or 'the Election' or 'Global Warming' or any of the other hot-button issues that WILL affect our collective 'pursuit of happiness' SHOULD be acted upon, swiftly and definitively.

                  The obvious problem here is 'who is deciding what the lies are?'. I just hope it falls to people who are intelligent, educated, kind, considerate, empathetic, pro-active and use science, facts, logic and rationality to determine the Greatest Good.
                  I agree more or less with everything, including the highlighted part, but that's the rub. Right now no one can agree on who's lying. Or who is lying more. Or to what end. Or who is good. Or who is educated. Or who is kind, considerate, etc...
                  You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                    I agree more or less with everything, including the highlighted part, but that's the rub. Right now no one can agree on who's lying. Or who is lying more. Or to what end. Or who is good. Or who is educated. Or who is kind, considerate, etc...
                    If you think Facebook or YouTube are legitimate news sites....you are lost.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                      If you think Facebook or YouTube are legitimate news sites....you are lost.
                      I don't think they are legitimate news site (where did I ever say that?) but they have morphed into the modern Public Square/Forum. They're not yet legally recognized as such, but that's just because, well, money talks.
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                        If you think Facebook or YouTube are legitimate news sites....you are lost.
                        They're not news sites but the sad truth is that many people get their information from these sites.
                        Last edited by jazzcyclist; 09-30-2021, 08:44 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                          I got my vaccine, to be clear, but I consider this kind of censorship highly dangerous. Now we can no longer question something, as citizens? I feel like we're teetering closer and closer to some kind of Orwellian nightmare where the mere act of questioning will have you in chains. Not something to celebrate in the least.

                          This kind of censorship will just make people say, "see, they do have something to hide." Censorship fans the flames of skeptics.
                          You know, I wonder how people questioned the authority before there was any SNS. I mean, how did Walter Cronkite question LBJ on Vietnam? It must have been a herculean task without his twitter account.

                          And the last time I checked, no one has gone to prison because their twitter account was revoked. It may feel like prison for people who are addicted to twitter. But it isn't. You can switch to Parlor, 8chan or whatever other platform that accepts your BS.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                            I don't think they are legitimate news site (where did I ever say that?) but they have morphed into the modern Public Square/Forum. They're not yet legally recognized as such, but that's just because, well, money talks.
                            Money talks? Like those unlimited campaign contributions channeled through Super Pacs? Or the money Sinclair used to buy up local TV stations? Yeah, it does.

                            As for who decides what the scientific facts are, that's done by peer-reviewed journals. You are more than welcome to submit your manuscript to one of them, or even start a new one.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                              I don't think they are legitimate news site (where did I ever say that?) but they have morphed into the modern Public Square/Forum. They're not yet legally recognized as such, but that's just because, well, money talks.
                              Legally recognized as such?

                              What does that even mean...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                                They're not new sites but the sad truth is that many people get their information from these sites.
                                It is sad....getting your news from just a bunch of random grifters.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X