X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Legally recognized as such?

What does that even mean...
    There have been attempts in court to have YouTube, at least, recognized as public square/news sources. It hasn't happened, yet.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• TN1965 settle down bro. Must be nice to have all the answers. Glad you do. I'm not there yet, so I'll keep questioning.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

There have been attempts in court to have YouTube, at least, recognized as public square/news sources. It hasn't happened, yet.
        You mean like this idiot.

https://apnews.com/article/wa-state-...6a5c5e7d52fd94

Comment

How would that work? Would there be a public service commission to regulate them like there are for utility companies?

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

How would that work? Would there be a public service commission to regulate them like there are for utility companies?
            I don't know.

Conor - I bet you're a hoot at parties! 🙂

Comment

• Meanwhile...

YouTube's removal of RT's German-language channels prompted outright hysteria by Russia's state TV and gov't officials. RT's editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan explained her anguish: "In modern wars, YouTube is a weapon. It is much more effective than any other weapons."

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuliaDavi...60253622505475

Comment

• In the past year, nurse Ashley Blevins says she has witnessed unparalleled violence at her hospital in Branson, Mo., where Cox Medical Center staffers have been cursed at, spit on and even beaten by patients.

“In the emergency department … our patients are becoming increasingly violent lately,” Blevins told KYTV.

According to the hospital, violence against its staff increased dramatically from 2019 to 2020, “with the pandemic greatly compounding the issue.” The number of assaults increased from 40 to 123, while reported injuries jumped from 17 to 78, the hospital said.

In response to the violence, up to 400 staff members will soon have panic buttons attached to their badges, the hospital said. If a staff member is having trouble with a patient, they can press a button that immediately alerts security guards and activates a tracking system. If a staffer is being assaulted in a patient’s room, pushing the button will activate a “custom light” outside the room, the hospital explained.

The uptick in violence is not limited to the Missouri medical center. By the fall of 2020, several months into the pandemic, U.S. hospital workers described a noticeable increase in workplace violence as they enforced masking requirements and strict visitor rules, WebMD reported. A November survey of 15,000 registered nurses by National Nurses United, a major nurses union, found that approximately 20 percent of respondents said they were experiencing increased violence on the job.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...tton-missouri/

Comment

TN1965 settle down bro. Must be nice to have all the answers. Glad you do. I'm not there yet, so I'll keep questioning.
                  Settle down? You are the one who invoked "Orwellian" society. No, I don't have all the answers, but I don't think I look for an answer on YouTube, Facebook or twitter.

And the problem we have today is the exact opposite of what you are afraid of. It is too easy to spread "alternative facts" and get gullible people believe in them. Too many people try to adjust the reality to their perception, rather than vice versa. And there are too many enablers.

Comment

• Facebook Inc. knows, in acute detail, that its platforms are riddled with flaws that cause harm, often in ways only the company fully understands. That is the central finding of a Wall Street Journal series, based on a review of internal Facebook documents, including research reports, online employee discussions and drafts of presentations to senior management.

Mark Zuckerberg has said Facebook allows its users to speak on equal footing with the elites of politics, culture and journalism, and that its standards apply to everyone. In private, the company has built a system that has exempted high-profile users from some or all of its rules. The program, known as “cross check” or “XCheck,” was intended as a quality-control measure for high-profile accounts. Today, it shields millions of VIPs from the company’s normal enforcement, the documents show. Many abuse the privilege, posting material including harassment and incitement to violence that would typically lead to sanctions. Facebook says criticism of the program is fair, that it was designed for a good purpose and that the company is working to fix it. (Listen to a related podcast.)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fac...article_inline

Comment

• Facebook threw its weight behind promoting Covid-19 vaccines—“a top company priority,” one memo said—in a demonstration of Mr. Zuckerberg’s faith that his creation is a force for social good in the world. It ended up demonstrating the gulf between his aspirations and the reality of the world’s largest social platform. Activists flooded the network with what Facebook calls “barrier to vaccination” content, the internal memos show. They used Facebook’s own tools to sow doubt about the severity of the pandemic’s threat and the safety of authorities’ main weapon to combat it. The Covid-19 problems make it uncomfortably clear: Even when he set a goal, the chief executive couldn’t steer the platform as he wanted. A Facebook spokesman said in a statement that the data shows vaccine hesitancy for people in the U.S. on Facebook has declined by about 50% since January, and that the documents show the company’s “routine process for dealing with difficult challenges.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

Money talks? Like those unlimited campaign contributions channeled through Super Pacs? Or the money Sinclair used to buy up local TV stations? Yeah, it does.

As for who decides what the scientific facts are, that's done by peer-reviewed journals. You are more than welcome to submit your manuscript to one of them, or even start a new one.
                        Very well said. There is most definitely a need to recognize the importance of expertise. The comfort provided by confirmation bias makes it all too seductive to accept that over an expert's assessment that you find uncomfortable.

This has only become more of a threat during the pandemic, and after reading more details on the election interference of other Governments and non-state actors.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                          and after reading more details on the election interference of other Governments and non-state actors.
                          The U.S. is no innocent victim in this sort mischief making.

Comment

• the political slant ends NOW please.

Comment

• My bad. My intent was to point out the ease with which any yahoo on the internet can spread false information. Did not mean to make it political.

The fact that so many more of us have been relying on social media, and the internet in general, for social interaction just made the ground that much more fertile for spreading unfounded info.

Comment

• Demographic differences emerge based on where people got their COVID-19 news

Comment

Working...
                                X