Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post

Respectfully, the lethality of the current coronavirus, even with precautions that were taken, shows that this was something far beyond the normal flu. It is hard to hide the fact that in the US, 3/4 of a million people have died from it. And the planet just surpassed 5 million deaths, while recognizing that this is almost certainly an undercount.
    I think you need to not only re-read my comment but the comments leading up to it as well.

Comment

• I might be confused. I was reading the comments as, had hospitals not been inundated with Covid-19 patients, the virus would have been treated similarly to the seasonal flu.

Comment

I might be confused. I was reading the comments as, had hospitals not been inundated with Covid-19 patients, the virus would have been treated similarly to the seasonal flu.
        I don't believe governments would have taken such drastic actions if hospitals weren't overrun. I stand by this statement:
        It may have been a big deal in the same way Ebola, H1N1 and the Bird flu were a big deal - a lot of media hype without any effect on the lives of 99% of the population and no effect on the economy.

Comment

• It was much easier to get my Moderna booster this morning than the original shots early this year. No appointment needed at our town’s small pharmacy. Just walk-in for any of the three brands.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            I don't believe governments would have taken such drastic actions if hospitals weren't overrun. I stand by this statement:
            And you may well be correct. Sorry if I came off as being argumentative.

Comment

I might be confused. I was reading the comments as, had hospitals not been inundated with Covid-19 patients, the virus would have been treated similarly to the seasonal flu.
              Look at it this way, had hospitals not been overrun, the virus is much less deadly...correct? That is unless we're going to leave people to die at home. So, absent massive hospitalizations then it becomes less of a concern. Less lockdowns and concern about catching the virus.

Comment

• It's not just the number of hospitalizations, it's also the length of the stays which caused problems. I know folks who spent months at the hospital before they pulled out of it. Also keep in mind that Ebola is much more deadly than COVID-19 but because it's not as contagious it never threatened to overrun the hospitals.
                Last edited by jazzcyclist; 11-01-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Look at it this way, had hospitals not been overrun, the virus is much less deadly...correct? That is unless we're going to leave people to die at home. So, absent massive hospitalizations then it becomes less of a concern. Less lockdowns and concern about catching the virus.
                  If Covid wasn't Covid we would all be fine...

Comment

Also keep in mind that Ebola is much more deadly than COVID-19 but because it's not as contagious it never threatened to overrun the hospitals.
                    And because it made people very sick or dead very fast, it didn't have much time and opportunity to spread before the victims were bedridden or dead.

For similar reasons, the original SARS from 2003 fizzled out quickly, killing less than 1,000 people worldwide even though it had a fatality rate of 11%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

If Covid wasn't Covid we would all be fine...
                      Well...yeah.

Comment

• NJ hospitals currently have fewer than 10% the COVID patients of the peak in 2020.

Comment

• Kristy Swanson, Pro-Trump Actress Who’s Questioned COVID Protocols, Hospitalized With COVID (yahoo.com)

Kristy Swanson, the actress best known for starring in the 1992 film “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” was hospitalized on Sunday in New Jersey due to COVID-related pneumonia.

Comment

Which reads "I don't believe governments would have taken such drastic actions if...1500 people died daily out of the hospital." The obvious fear factor is the high contagious nature of the virus, and even a relatively low death rate of let's say 1% would leave us with over 3 million dead. Not to mention the probability of 80% of those being over 65.

Comment

• New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority no longer pays a $500,000 death benefit to the families of subway, bus, and commuter rail workers who die of COVID if the workers were unvaccinated at the time of death.
                              Note that this wasn't their usual employer-provided life insurance benefit. The $500K was a special benefit added early in the pandemic as compensation for the high COVID exposure risk of the subway/bus/train jobs.

Comment

• Covid has closed Auckland's border. Don't try and sneak past our border protection officers.
                                FB_IMG_1636050805019.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X