Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNL very late...but better late than never.

"The science changed!!"
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• After 23 days of the occupation of New Zealand's Parliamentary grounds, by covid anti vax anti mandate protest, several hundred police moved in and cleared out the protestors over the past 18 hours starting about 5:00am.

While the beautifully manicured lawns have been destroyed they will grow back.

Protestors set off incendiary devices, smashed brick paving and walls for projectiles. However, the police didn't respond in kind using their riot shields, tear gas and weight of numbers to surround individuals and arrest them.

Police used fork lifts to remove protestors vehicles, and destroyed all protestor tents and other structures

​​​​​​3 police officers were hospitalised with what is believed to be minor injuries.

Comment

• While the destruction of property is disheartening, I respect the restraint that the authorities showed the protestors. The result was probably the best that could have been hoped for.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
          While the destruction of property is disheartening, I respect the restraint that the authorities showed the protestors. The result was probably the best that could have been hoped for.
          Yes, I agree. All things considered, it was a good outcome.

Comment

• Take that Gov DeSantis!

School districts that required masks this fall saw significantly fewer coronavirus cases than those where masks were optional, according to a large study of Arkansas schools by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC looked at 233 school districts and found those with mask requirements saw a 23 percent lower incidence of coronavirus cases. Rates in districts with partial requirements — for instance, places that required them in hallways but not classrooms — were in between.

The researchers also examined 26 school districts that instituted a mask requirement during the course of their investigation. A week after the new policy took effect, infections significantly decreased among students and staff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-transmission/
            Last edited by jeremyp; 03-08-2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
              Take that Gov DeSantis!

School districts that required masks this fall saw significantly fewer coronavirus cases than those where masks were optional, according to a large study of Arkansas schools by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC looked at 233 school districts and found those with mask requirements saw a 23 percent lower incidence of coronavirus cases. Rates in districts with partial requirements — for instance, places that required them in hallways but not classrooms — were in between.

The researchers also examined 26 school districts that instituted a mask requirement during the course of their investigation. A week after the new policy took effect, infections significantly decreased among students and staff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-transmission/
              "But masks don't work! I know a guy who wore a mask and still got Covid!"

It's really interesting how the anti-maskers claim that masks are useless just because they're less than 100% effective, when they don't think that way about anything else they use. No hunter will say rifles are useless because they shot a deer which survived and ran away. No farmer will say pesticides are useless because a portion of the crops still got eaten by pests. No homeowner will say front doors are useless and should be left open all day because it's possible for a burglar to break in anyway. But somehow masks are useless because they don't trap every single virus particle.

Comment

• Georgia man gets 3 years in prison for spending nearly $60,000 in COVID-19 relief money on a Pokémon card (yahoo.com)

A Georgia man didn't make the very best use of his COVID-19 relief money, according to prosecutors — and he's now headed to prison.

Comment

• Unvaccinated MLB players can't travel to Canada to play Jays (yahoo.com)

Major League Baseball players who are not vaccinated against the coronavirus won't be allowed to travel into Canada to face the Blue Jays in Toronto and won't be paid for those games.

Comment

• And another one DeSantis:

Schools with mandatory masking during the Delta surge had approximately 72% fewer cases of in-school transmission of SARS-CoV-2 when compared to schools with optional or partial masking policies, according to a study funded by the National Institutes of Health. The study included more than 1.1 million students and over 157,000 staff attending in-person school across nine states: North Carolina, Wisconsin, Missouri, California, Washington, Georgia, Tennessee, Kansas and Texas. The study is supported by NIH’s Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics – Underserved Populations (RADx-UP) program and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD). It appears in Pediatrics.

In the current study, most COVID-19 cases among students and staff were acquired from the community and approximately 10% of cases were acquired within school. The researchers found that for every 100 community-acquired cases, school districts with mandatory masking had approximately 7.3 cases of in-school infections, while optionally masked districts had 26.4 cases of in-school infections. In other words, school districts with optional masking had approximately 3.6 times the rate of in-school COVID-19 cases when compared to schools with mandatory masking. These data also show that mandatory masking was associated with a 72% reduction of in-school COVID-19 cases, compared to districts with optional masking.
                    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...ng-delta-surge

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                      And another one DeSantis:
                      It seems that's turned into a set-up for a joke down here . . . 'Have you heard the one about DeSantis and . . . ?'

Comment

• Roughly 17 million Americans received the Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccine, only to be told later that it was the least protective of the options available in the United States. But new data suggest that the vaccine is now preventing infections, hospitalizations and deaths at least as well as the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines…..

During the summer months, the gaps — particularly between J.&J. and Pfizer — began to narrow. By now, all the vaccines seem to be performing about equally well against coronavirus infections; in fact, Johnson & Johnson appears to be holding up slightly better….

the Johnson & Johnson vaccine appeared to be somewhat more protective against infection than the two alternatives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/15/h...l&pgtype=Homep age&section=Health

So, in Track terms, when I got the J&J I thought you ModPfz guys were half a lap ahead of me, but now I've caught up and have passed you guys
                        And since I got 2 Modernas I'm now half a lap ahead? All I need now is to get a touch of covid and I'm pulling further ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          It seems that's turned into a set-up for a joke down here . . . 'Have you heard the one about DeSantis and . . . ?'
                          From NYT today:

For DeSantis, the pandemic offered the opportunity to distinguish himself from Trump. In January, Jonathan Chait described his strategy in New York magazine:
                          Where Trump was tiptoeing around vaccine skepticism, DeSantis jumped in with both feet, banning private companies like cruise lines from requiring vaccination, appointing a vaccine skeptic to his state’s highest office, and refusing to say if he’s gotten his booster dose.

DeSantis “may or may not actually be more delusional on Covid than Donald Trump,” Chait wrote, “but it is a revealing commentary on the state of their party that he sees his best chance to supplant Trump as positioning himself as even crazier.”

In January, for example, Dr. Raul Pino, the administrator for the Florida Department of Health’s office in Orange County, wrote his staff to say that only 77 of 558 staff members had received a Covid-19 booster, 219 had two doses of the vaccine and 34 had only one dose, according to reporting by my colleague Patricia Mazzei in The Times. “I am sorry but in the absence of reasonable and real reasons it is irresponsible not to be vaccinated,” Dr. Pino added. He went on: “We have been at this for two years, we were the first to give vaccines to the masses, we have done more than 300,000 and we are not even at 50 percent. Pathetic.”

Shortly afterward, Pino was put on administrative leave for a month.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/16/o...ing-trump.html
                          Last edited by jeremyp; 03-16-2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• My sole surviving aunt, age 95, called informing me an 80ish cousin from the anti-vax family twig recently died from covid. I had 22 aunt/uncle pairs and 60 first cousins. I have not kept close track of them all, but this is the first family covid death I am aware of.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                              My sole surviving aunt, age 95, called informing me an 80ish cousin from the anti-vax family twig recently died from covid. I had 22 aunt/uncle pairs and 60 first cousins. I have not kept close track of them all, but this is the first family covid death I am aware of.
                              Obviously your grandparents were the same as mine. No TV to occupy them in the evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                                Obviously your grandparents were the same as mine. No TV to occupy them in the evening.
                                Yep, my last aunt was born in 1930, one year before I was and 17 years before electricity reached Kiowa
                                County.

Comment

Working...
                                X