Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the recent WCs I missed five days because my track-buddy-and-co-ticket-holder cousin, who was staying with the hammys, tested positive on the first Sunday. Gave away some tickets, sold others.

Comment

• Had ducked it until a couple weeks ago. Surprise visit from the landlord a few days after she tested positive, wife and I both became symptomatic a couple days later. Congestion for me, that plus fevers and a lingering cough for her. Lots of folks I know who have been incredibly diligent, N95s everywhere and mostly still isolated except for work and necessary errands, are now getting it. BA.5 comes at you fast, I guess. Stay safe, y'all.

​​​​

Comment

• what's worse than a positive COVID test?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/fir...HCBL6PRHVSASQ/

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
          what's worse than a positive COVID test?

Going out on a limb I suspect he had stranger bedfellows.

Comment

• As of August 23, the CDC estimates that over 238,000 excess deaths have occurred from causes other than COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic in 2020. In order to prevent this high level of excess mortality moving forward, we need to consider what triggered these non-COVID-19 excess deaths and clarify our takeaways from the mortality data since the beginning of the pandemic.

Research suggests the pandemic's social, economic, and healthcare system disruptions precipitated excess deaths through a variety of mechanisms. Drug overdoses spiked, homicides soared. Patients and providers postponed preventive health and cancer screenings. Medical care diverted to COVID-19 patients delayed treatment of acute conditions such as heart attacks and strokes. Though road traffic decreased during stay-at-home orders in 2020, certain risky behaviors such as driving under the influence and speeding increased among some groups.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion...un=g1469753d0r

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
              what's worse than a positive COVID test?

"There's good days in NASCAR and there's bad days in NASCAR. Ricky Bobby just had a very bad day." = Darrell Waltrip

Comment

• Chengdu, Chinese city of 21 million, enter new COVID-19 lockdown

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...5021662036350/

Comment

• Ex-Nigerian official gets 5 years for pandemic fraud in US (yahoo.com)

A former Nigerian government official was sentenced Monday to five years in prison for stealing more than $500,000 in pandemic relief benefits in the United States.

Abidemi Rufai was wearing a $10,000 watch and $35,000 gold chain when he was arrested at JFK International Airport in New York on his way to Nigeria in May 2021.

Comment

• I can guarantee you many people in The US got much more than $500k in free funny money from the US via PPP loans they handed out like candy 🍬. Many of which went to companies that were making plenty of money. No accountability whatsoever. The Employee Retention Credit revamped in 2021 was as bad or worse. Imbeciles running the asylum. And people wonder why we have an inflation problem.

Comment

• My wife and I joined the 15 million who have had their booster shot. I have a hat trick: J&J; Moderna(2): Pfizer.

Comment

• Originally posted by odelltrclan View Post
                        Imbeciles running the asylum. And people wonder why we have an inflation problem.
                        Some of us figured it out long ago.

Comment

• https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...veness/671879/

L! O! L!

Now? The writing is on the wall and now the plea for amnesty?

You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                            https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...veness/671879/

L! O! L!

Now? The writing is on the wall and now the plea for amnesty?

I gather you read the entire article?

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

I gather you read the entire article?
                              Yes. It was my "last free article."

My mirth/bemusement was thinking about a reaction towards local, state and federal leaders. People are still seeing red, and that color is apropos right now.

If Karen (or Ken - there's a guy at the station who has Karened this thing for 2.5 years-running) wants to talk, we can talk.

But the authorities at all levels who all flexed and then doubled/tripled/quintupled-down leaping from one absurdity to the next? Nope. Lessons need to be learned about how to lead/govern, what that looks like, and what happens when you misuse that power.

This wasn't some, "oops, we took the wrong tack for a bit" this was years of willful partisan moves and if you happened to disagree you were literally called the worst things in human language including a particular "n" word.

Houses need to be cleaned. Amends made. Laws changed even. Then we can talk about amnesty.
                              Last edited by scottmitchell74; 11-02-2022, 11:27 AM.
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Oster, the author of that Atlantic article, has been a very effective tool for efforts by COVID minimizers to slide precautions back. Like a lot of clinicians in that camp (Oster herself is an economist), she was particularly good at constantly saying that we didn't need to do X precaution because the ills outweighed the benefits, and once someone took that seriously as a policy proposal, she'd move on to writing about why the next most stringent precaution was bad.

It was her study, based on exceedingly bad data analysis, that led to the CDC recommending reduced social distancing distance in classrooms (not that I think 3ft vs 6ft makes a stunning difference in an enclosed space you're spending hours in). Her "data-driven" approach is code for making evidence reflect the policy you want to pass, and that's a practice that is both unfortunately too common and very dangerous.

​​​​​​I'm interested in why someone of that leaning would write an article about amnesty when her side won a very one-sided "debate" in the halls of power, for what it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                                X