• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
    Uh, no . . .

Uh...yes....or at least I hope so. Had the hospitalizations not been an issue and people were able to recover on their own at home, then obviously the virus wouldn't have been as big of an issue because it would have been a lot closer to the seasonal flu. No lockdowns and overall effect on the population.
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 10-31-2021, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    It may have been a big deal in the same way Ebola, H1N1 and the Bird flu were a big deal - a lot of media hype without any effect on the lives of 99% of the population and no effect on the economy.
    1% of the population is 3 million people...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Before the vaccines closing down everything was a good idea....Covid was really bad...

But with vaccines ubiquitous it is time to move on...

And thanks to all the federal input the economy has recovered fairly well.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-31-2021, 02:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    Not really. In the beginning, nearly everybody was freaking out over it. It may be treated like the common flu in the long run if hospital capacity is not threatened, but it would have been a big deal anyway in the beginning.
    It may have been a big deal in the same way Ebola, H1N1 and the Bird flu were a big deal - a lot of media hype without any effect on the lives of 99% of the population and no effect on the economy.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 10-31-2021, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied

What's keeping things from going back to normal is hospitals being overrun.
    Yep. People are having their cancer treatments and heart surgeries delayed or relocated far away because their local hospitals are full of Covid patients, mostly unvaccinated.

If there had never been any hospitals overrun, COVD-19 would have been treated just like the common flu from the beginning.
    Not really. In the beginning, nearly everybody was freaking out over it. It may be treated like the common flu in the long run if hospital capacity is not threatened, but it would have been a big deal anyway in the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    If there had never been any hospitals overrun, COVD-19 would have been treated just like the common flu from the beginning.
    Uh, no . . .

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    For so many the no endgame in sight is the point...like no one ever got sick before Covid...

Should fully vaccinated individuals become infected, he added, they remain protected against severe disease and death, and tend to have only a mild infection.
    What's keeping things from going back to normal is hospitals being overrun. If there had never been any hospitals overrun, COVD-19 would have been treated just like the common flu from the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    For so many the no endgame in sight is the point...like no one ever got sick before Covid...

Should fully vaccinated individuals become infected, he added, they remain protected against severe disease and death, and tend to have only a mild infection.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
    The results suggest even those who are fully vaccinated have a sizeable risk of becoming infected, with analysis revealing a fully vaccinated contact has a 25% chance of catching the virus from an infected household member while an unvaccinated contact has a 38% chance of becoming infected.

Evidence keeps emerging that the COVID vaccines aren't nearly as bulletproof as other vaccines like smallpox and measles. I view them as the equivalent of air bags and seat belts; they significantly reduce the chances of hospitalization and death, but you wouldn't count on them to save you in a 60 mph head-on collision, and other people's moronic behavior can still hurt you.

Living with an infected person is damn near the equivalent of a head-on collision.

However, the figures do not shed light on the severity of illness, while the team cautions these figures fall within a range of possible values, meaning the exact size of the difference is unclear."
    Another gap in the information is how many in each household were living in the same room. Some people have avoided intra-household transmission by isolating the infected individual to a bedroom or basement for the duration of their illness.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    There are so many dumb theories out there it is hard to keep track.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    I don't know. They say because it's not a dead or weakened version of the virus, it doesn't count as a vaccine. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
    I've been in lots of anti-vax circles and I cannot ever recall this coming up before. There are lots of established vaccines that do not contain a dead or weakened version of the virus/bacteria.... the acellular pertussis vaccine, for example.

I know there are tons of dumb arguments out there today that have no basis in reality, IDK why this one bothers me more than some of the others.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    It works LIKE a vaccine (to produce antibodies against the disease), but it contains no live Covid in it at all, so it's not a vaccine. You can't 'catch' Covid from the shot.
    That would mean that the smallpox vaccine which was the World's first and is the origin of the word "vaccine" from the Latin for cow is not a vaccine?

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Every one of my old geezer buddies has had the vaccine and the booster. Every one of them does not believe in Global warming. Apparently there's SCIENCE and then there's "LIB science."
    Yes, to borrow a phrase, we Conservatives are not a monolith. 😀🤷‍♂️

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

I don't know.

I don't know. They say because it's not a dead or weakened version of the virus, it doesn't count as a vaccine. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

There's also great concern about future consequences. It's really quite bizarre. Most of the guys I work with are Conservatives, and the vaccine rate amongst us is about 50-50. On this one issue it's like sub-tribes have formed. They are reading some weird dark web stuff, and it's frustrating to talk to them. They are all over the spectrum on the education scale as well.

For some, I'm sure, the mandate is the sticking point, and I get that. I really do. But to me this isn't a hill to die on. I'll die on other hills.
    Every one of my old geezer buddies has had the vaccine and the booster. Every one of them does not believe in Global warming. Apparently there's SCIENCE and then there's "LIB science."
    Last edited by jeremyp; 10-30-2021, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    And on the "Don't get too complacent" side:

"Writing in the Lancet, researchers from a number of institutions including Imperial College London and the UK Health Security Agency (HSA) report how they analysed data from 204 household contacts of 138 people infected with the Delta variant.

Of these contacts, who were recruited within five days of their household member showing symptoms and were tested daily for 14 days, 53 went on to become infected, 31 of whom were fully vaccinated and 15 were unvaccinated.

The results suggest even those who are fully vaccinated have a sizeable risk of becoming infected, with analysis revealing a fully vaccinated contact has a 25% chance of catching the virus from an infected household member while an unvaccinated contact has a 38% chance of becoming infected.

However, the figures do not shed light on the severity of illness, while the team cautions these figures fall within a range of possible values, meaning the exact size of the difference is unclear."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...study-suggests

Leave a comment:

Working...
X