Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on coping with C19 lockdown

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some disagree...

    Bob Costas predicts pro sports ‘players opting out, thinking it's not worth the risk either to them or to family.’

    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLeadCN...73255293296640

    Comment


    • anybody else noticing that distilled water is increasingly hard to find? Not good news for CPAP users, among others.

      I can only assume people are deciding it's somehow healthier and are now drinking it, as ghastly as it tastes (or doesn't taste).

      Comment


      • That's nuts....distilled water now.

        Comment


        • The coping blipped my personal barometer this month. Heretofore, due to my largely hermetic lifestyle, it has been a minor inconvenience but long term implications hit this month.

          I receive royalty checks from some 200 producers/purchasers, some minuscule, some not. Most producers have a $50 or $100 minimum so I usually receive only 60 to 70 checks a month, with an annual surge in December. In April, I received notice from many producers that they were ceasing production when they maxed out their storage capacity or until oil prices improved to a profitably level. I received 8 checks in May, 2 in June, none from my principal, sustaining interests. The only checks I received are from horizontal wells encompassing multiple leases, some of which do not have shut-in-royalty clauses.

          I am not going to miss any meals. That oil will be produced eventually. However, the immediate troubling effect is, I have a lot of receivables pending from similarly affected people, who may not be able to pay them timely or ever. Multiply my situation by hundreds of thousands in the oil biz and other industries, it gets serious. I have experienced several boom/bust cycles in my lifetime but none quite this ominous. I do not have a proven formula for getting the world back to a balanced, prosperous exchange of goods, services, and money; nor does anyone else,apparently.

          The emergence of the coronavirus was presumably unpredictable and unpreventable but its widespread, international infection could probably have been contained. There is plenty of non-unanimous blame and blamelessness to go around. The only thing most people can do is wear a mask, minimize outside contact, and social distancing until there is a vaccine or it is eradicated. I do not know how you tell when it is eradicated. Has any disease ever been eradicated? I do think it is presumptive to establish optimal distances and the size of gatherings but would go slow on mass crowds.


          Comment


          • Originally posted by gh View Post
            anybody else noticing that distilled water is increasingly hard to find? Not good news for CPAP users, among others.

            I can only assume people are deciding it's somehow healthier and are now drinking it, as ghastly as it tastes (or doesn't taste).
            As I posted earlier, for at least 30 years, virtually all my drinking water has been distilled. You are correct that it has become more scarce, but I'm not sure it's because people are more health conscious, I think it's just getting swept off the shelves with all other bottled water.

            As far as the taste, I think it's fine. Tap water (or filtered tapwater) varies a lot regionally. Oregon was fine, as is water from the Sierra. Some other places, not so much.
            Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Master403 View Post

              .... You are correct that it has become more scarce, but I'm not sure it's because people are more health conscious, I think it's just getting swept off the shelves with all other bottled water.

              ....
              in the early days of the lockdown, yes, all water pretty much disappeared, but in my neighborhood stores, shelves have been full again for last 2-3 weeks; except that it's all "spring water" now, no distilled.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                Has any disease ever been eradicated?
                Smallpox has been eradicated by vaccination efforts.

                Polio is close, it only remains a viable disease in a few countries. I think about 4 nations have had cases recently.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  The coping blipped my personal barometer this month. Heretofore, due to my largely hermetic lifestyle, it has been a minor inconvenience but long term implications hit this month.

                  I receive royalty checks from some 200 producers/purchasers, some minuscule, some not. Most producers have a $50 or $100 minimum so I usually receive only 60 to 70 checks a month, with an annual surge in December. In April, I received notice from many producers that they were ceasing production when they maxed out their storage capacity or until oil prices improved to a profitably level. I received 8 checks in May, 2 in June, none from my principal, sustaining interests. The only checks I received are from horizontal wells encompassing multiple leases, some of which do not have shut-in-royalty clauses.

                  I am not going to miss any meals. That oil will be produced eventually. However, the immediate troubling effect is, I have a lot of receivables pending from similarly affected people, who may not be able to pay them timely or ever. Multiply my situation by hundreds of thousands in the oil biz and other industries, it gets serious. I have experienced several boom/bust cycles in my lifetime but none quite this ominous. I do not have a proven formula for getting the world back to a balanced, prosperous exchange of goods, services, and money; nor does anyone else,apparently.

                  The emergence of the coronavirus was presumably unpredictable and unpreventable but its widespread, international infection could probably have been contained. There is plenty of non-unanimous blame and blamelessness to go around. The only thing most people can do is wear a mask, minimize outside contact, and social distancing until there is a vaccine or it is eradicated. I do not know how you tell when it is eradicated. Has any disease ever been eradicated? I do think it is presumptive to establish optimal distances and the size of gatherings but would go slow on mass crowds.

                  But with Oil back up to $40, wouldn’t that help matters assuming it does not go back down?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

                    But with Oil back up to $40, wouldn’t that help matters assuming it does not go back down?
                    Most stripper production in Oklahoma needs about $50 to be profitable to produce.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      Most stripper production in Oklahoma needs about $50 to be profitable to produce.
                      That straight line is too juicy to resist . . . but I will . . .

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                        Smallpox has been eradicated by vaccination efforts.

                        Polio is close, it only remains a viable disease in a few countries. I think about 4 nations have had cases recently.
                        I think I read somewhere that India and Nigeria were the main countries for polio nowadays.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

                          I think I read somewhere that India and Nigeria were the main countries for polio nowadays.
                          Pakistan and Nigeria - good stuff on it here - https://ourworldindata.org/polio, with lots of maps and charts

                          Comment


                          • Actually that site says Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Nigeria

                            Comment


                            • I knew Afghanistan was a problem with the Taliban against vaccinations. And that seeps into Pakistan.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

                                Most stripper production in Oklahoma needs about $50 to be profitable to produce.
                                And behind the paywall, the lead front page story in today’s WallStreet Journal is the Oklahoma City’s Chesapeake Energy Corp., a pioneer in shale-drilling, is filling for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. The one bright spot is that their assets exceed their liabilities.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X