X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeremyp
    replied
    And another one DeSantis:

Schools with mandatory masking during the Delta surge had approximately 72% fewer cases of in-school transmission of SARS-CoV-2 when compared to schools with optional or partial masking policies, according to a study funded by the National Institutes of Health. The study included more than 1.1 million students and over 157,000 staff attending in-person school across nine states: North Carolina, Wisconsin, Missouri, California, Washington, Georgia, Tennessee, Kansas and Texas. The study is supported by NIH’s Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics – Underserved Populations (RADx-UP) program and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD). It appears in Pediatrics.

In the current study, most COVID-19 cases among students and staff were acquired from the community and approximately 10% of cases were acquired within school. The researchers found that for every 100 community-acquired cases, school districts with mandatory masking had approximately 7.3 cases of in-school infections, while optionally masked districts had 26.4 cases of in-school infections. In other words, school districts with optional masking had approximately 3.6 times the rate of in-school COVID-19 cases when compared to schools with mandatory masking. These data also show that mandatory masking was associated with a 72% reduction of in-school COVID-19 cases, compared to districts with optional masking.
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...ng-delta-surge

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Unvaccinated MLB players can't travel to Canada to play Jays (yahoo.com)

Major League Baseball players who are not vaccinated against the coronavirus won't be allowed to travel into Canada to face the Blue Jays in Toronto and won't be paid for those games.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Georgia man gets 3 years in prison for spending nearly $60,000 in COVID-19 relief money on a Pokémon card (yahoo.com)

A Georgia man didn't make the very best use of his COVID-19 relief money, according to prosecutors — and he's now headed to prison.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
    Take that Gov DeSantis!

School districts that required masks this fall saw significantly fewer coronavirus cases than those where masks were optional, according to a large study of Arkansas schools by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC looked at 233 school districts and found those with mask requirements saw a 23 percent lower incidence of coronavirus cases. Rates in districts with partial requirements — for instance, places that required them in hallways but not classrooms — were in between.

The researchers also examined 26 school districts that instituted a mask requirement during the course of their investigation. A week after the new policy took effect, infections significantly decreased among students and staff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-transmission/
    "But masks don't work! I know a guy who wore a mask and still got Covid!"

It's really interesting how the anti-maskers claim that masks are useless just because they're less than 100% effective, when they don't think that way about anything else they use. No hunter will say rifles are useless because they shot a deer which survived and ran away. No farmer will say pesticides are useless because a portion of the crops still got eaten by pests. No homeowner will say front doors are useless and should be left open all day because it's possible for a burglar to break in anyway. But somehow masks are useless because they don't trap every single virus particle.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Take that Gov DeSantis!

School districts that required masks this fall saw significantly fewer coronavirus cases than those where masks were optional, according to a large study of Arkansas schools by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC looked at 233 school districts and found those with mask requirements saw a 23 percent lower incidence of coronavirus cases. Rates in districts with partial requirements — for instance, places that required them in hallways but not classrooms — were in between.

The researchers also examined 26 school districts that instituted a mask requirement during the course of their investigation. A week after the new policy took effect, infections significantly decreased among students and staff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-transmission/
    Last edited by jeremyp; 03-08-2022, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    While the destruction of property is disheartening, I respect the restraint that the authorities showed the protestors. The result was probably the best that could have been hoped for.
    Yes, I agree. All things considered, it was a good outcome.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    While the destruction of property is disheartening, I respect the restraint that the authorities showed the protestors. The result was probably the best that could have been hoped for.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    After 23 days of the occupation of New Zealand's Parliamentary grounds, by covid anti vax anti mandate protest, several hundred police moved in and cleared out the protestors over the past 18 hours starting about 5:00am.

While the beautifully manicured lawns have been destroyed they will grow back.

Protestors set off incendiary devices, smashed brick paving and walls for projectiles. However, the police didn't respond in kind using their riot shields, tear gas and weight of numbers to surround individuals and arrest them.

Police used fork lifts to remove protestors vehicles, and destroyed all protestor tents and other structures

​​​​​​3 police officers were hospitalised with what is believed to be minor injuries.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied

SNL very late...but better late than never.

"The science changed!!"

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

You could use it as a variant of the popular Guangdong dish of "Pig blood curd" or "blood pudding". I have had it served up to me in Guangzhou a few times, but I have always refused (politely of course) to partake. Looks too revolting for my palate.
    Gag me with a spoon!

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    The protest at Parliament is now entering its 18th day. However, the dynamics and mood have changed today with the police now in riot gear and armed.
    Maybe Jacinda is learning what Justin learned....slowly.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    The protest at Parliament is now entering its 18th day. However, the dynamics and mood have changed today with the police now in riot gear and armed.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Covid-19 case numbers have taken off in NZ.
    10 Jan - 23, 16 Jan - 58, 1 Feb - 197 7 Feb - 265, 16 Feb - 1,541, 20 Feb 2,230, 24 Feb - 6,137.

The 6,137 cases yesterday is equivalent to about 400,000 cases in one day in the USA.

However, our death rate is still incredibly low at 11 deaths per million.

I believe that while we have had good covid management by the Government, and a compliant population in terms of following covid instructions from the Health Department, we are also very fortunate in being an island at the bottom of the world.

About 96% of the population is double vaxxed, and nearly 70% triple vaxxed.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

And what do you do with the Black, clotted blood?
    You could use it as a variant of the popular Guangdong dish of "Pig blood curd" or "blood pudding". I have had it served up to me in Guangzhou a few times, but I have always refused (politely of course) to partake. Looks too revolting for my palate.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied

We do that a few million times a year down here in the Antipodes. 😂😂😂
    And what do you do with the Black, clotted blood?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X