Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post
    I can't find Caffeine Free Coke Zero, or Caffeine Free zero calorie drinks of any kind except diet root beer.
    I have read multiple articles in the Wall Street Journal that Coca Cola during the pandemic has been focusing on its core brands. Thus less popular brands can be tough to find.

My son likes 12-ounce cans of Minute Maid Lemonade which is a Coca Cola brand. It has really been tough to find in recent months.

Comment

• meanwhile, in the where-can-you-go? department....

US State Department lifts global 'Do Not Travel' advisory

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/06/polit...ted/index.html

Comment

• ‘Screw COVID’: 250,000 Bikers to Defy Common Sense for Nine Days at Sturgis Rally

Friday is the official start of the 80th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, where 250,000 people are expected to gather in the South Dakota town of that name for nine days of defying proven precautions against the spread of COVID-19.

“Nobody is social distancing and none of them are wearing masks,” local psychologist Michael Fellner told The Daily Beast. “None.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/screw-cov...083423022.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

I have read multiple articles in the Wall Street Journal that Coca Cola during the pandemic has been focusing on its core brands. Thus less popular brands can be tough to find.

My son likes 12-ounce cans of Minute Maid Lemonade which is a Coca Cola brand. It has really been tough to find in recent months.
          I had read an article that there were supply chain issues a while back with getting ingredients from China so that was the reason for focusing on the core brands. We couldn't find Cherry Coke Zero at all for about 2 months but it's been back on the shelves for a while now.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
            one of the pandemic's great mysteries solved!

Virus mystery: The case of the missing Fresca

The popular diet soda vanished along with toilet paper. Unlike TP, it hasn’t come back. Why?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columni...esca-steinberg
            No trouble getting Fresca here (Madison, WI); by the way, it is the only diet soda (or drink) that I like but since I am trying to maximize rather than minimize calories, not liking almost all diet drinks is not a big loss. Other things have seemed to be out in my small sample of trying something from a store, but I think that is a flawed stocking problem (all flavor combinations getting the same shelf space despite one or two being the preferred ones and thus often none are on the shelf and if they use sales data to determine what to order they do not pick up that people want some more than others...). However, I have only been in Trader Joes four times and a regular store once since mid-March.

As for Minute Maid lemonade, I find that I like it more than other brands, and more than most bottled variants.

Comment

• The debate over masks today is a lot like the decades-long fight to mandate seat belts

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/05/u...mpression=true

Comment

• Meanwhile.....

America’s Authoritarian Governor

Georgia had an early surge of the virus, and now cases are spiking again. Brian Kemp has refused to learn a thing.

America has botched its coronavirus response in so, so many ways since the pandemic began. Even in a country that stands apart from the world for its horrific failures, there have been as many leadership bungles as there are states: Some failed to heed early warnings. Others refused to learn the lessons of outbreaks that came before theirs. Still others played politics instead of following science. And then there’s Georgia.

Georgia’s response to the pandemic has not been going well. It was bad from the beginning: Back in early April, weeks after other states took initial precautions, Georgia dawdled toward a shutdown while its coronavirus cases surged. Still, less than a month later, the state chose to be among the first in the nation to reopen, bringing back businesses known to accelerate the virus’s spread, such as restaurants and gyms, even though new infections had never made a significant or sustained decline. In June, the state welcomed back bars. What happened next was predictable, and was predicted: Case counts came roaring back. More people got sick and died. Many of these deaths were preventable. The state now has the sixth-highest number of coronavirus cases in the United States, behind five states with significantly larger populations.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...tarian/615010/

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  America’s Authoritarian Governor
                  This is a no-nonsense thread. This is another political piece filed under "health". Almost every state is doing poorly, yet post after post keeps singling out Georgia. Enough.

Screenshot_20200808-144040_Excel~01.jpg
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Master403; 08-09-2020, 05:50 PM. Reason: image disappeared
                  Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

• If a slow shutdown had been Kemp's only major fumble, he’d be in broad and ideologically varied company both nationally and internationally. Instead, he has continued to double down on the state’s approach to the virus in ways that mirror not just Trump, but authoritarian leaders overseeing poorly controlled outbreaks all over the world, such as Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro and India’s Narendra Modi. He has also taken a more hard-line stance than most of his Republican peers. GOP governors in Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas have implemented statewide mask rules in response to worsening outbreaks, and others who haven’t, such as Ron DeSantis in Florida and Doug Ducey in Arizona, have still allowed cities and counties to enforce their own local requirements. Not only has Kemp repeatedly refused to require masks in Georgia, but the state’s current pandemic emergency order was written with an explicit restriction to prevent local leaders from implementing their own mask rules.

Kemp’s administration has gone so far as to sue Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms over the city’s mask mandate and its plan to roll back the city’s reopening to its earliest stage, closing bars and restricting restaurants to takeout. When Bottoms fought the lawsuit, Kemp sought to stop her from speaking to the press. Other cities in the state, such as Savannah and Athens, also passed their own mandates but escaped inclusion in the lawsuit, which has pushed some to question whether the governor was trying to punish Bottoms for her support of Joe Biden. A Kemp spokesperson told The Washington Post that the lawsuit was primarily about the new restrictions on businesses in Bottoms’s order, which weren’t present in other municipalities’ mask mandates, but as the paper pointed out, masks were listed as the first issue in the complaint. “One has to ask about the political aspect of a conservative southern governor and a strong supporter of the president having a very public legal action against the Atlanta mayor, who’s been a vocal supporter of Joe Biden,” Harry Heiman, a professor at the Georgia State University School of Public Health, told me. Kemp backed down from the lawsuit last week, and Atlanta’s local mandate remains in effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Master403 View Post
                      This is a no-nonsense thread. This is another political piece filed under "health". Almost every state is doing poorly, yet post after post keeps singling out Georgia. Enough.
                      I'm OK with y'all picking on MY Florida Governor and the nimrods who support him.

Comment

• They thought COVID-19 was a hoax, until they fell ill

https://news.yahoo.com/thought-covid...100308475.html

Comment

• I would agree and add that the worst part of this is the smug folks trying to score political points on either side of the aisle in the midst of a murderous pandemic.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

*9* people test positive for COVID at Georgia high school where students were suspended for posting photos of crowded / unmasked hallways. Principal tells parents they're working to provide the "safest and healthiest learning environment possible."

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevenTDe...30110839119874

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Meanwhile....

*9* people test positive for COVID at Georgia high school where students were suspended for posting photos of crowded / unmasked hallways. Principal tells parents they're working to provide the "safest and healthiest learning environment possible."

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevenTDe...30110839119874
                              Reminiscent of China. Shoot the messenger. The suspensions were then lifted after a hue and cry.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Reminiscent of China. Shoot the messenger. The suspensions were then lifted after a hue and cry.
                                They were able to avoid having to attend a disease-infested school for at least a few days. And I doubt it will be on their permanent record, unless they get GPA bonus points for taking the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X