Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on coping with C19 lockdown

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by gh View Post
    meanwhile, in England (not to be confused with Britain)....

    Boris Johnson to announce 10pm curfew for pubs and restaurants in England


    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...urfew-22720220
    I have a very close friend whose father was born in Scotland, they would return to Scotland for vacation during the summer. He would come back to the states and tell me, all the great things about Scotland but the one thing he would always remark about was the incredibly wasteful amounts of time the males would spend in pubs. He just could not get used to it. We Americans have a great deal in common with the Scots culturally but the Scots can really drink!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by user4 View Post

      I have a very close friend whose father was born in Scotland, they would return to Scotland for vacation during the summer. He would come back to the states and tell me, all the great things about Scotland but the one thing he would always remark about was the incredibly wasteful amounts of time the males would spend in pubs. He just could not get used to it. We Americans have a great deal in common with the Scots culturally but the Scots can really drink!
      Many of us English aren't much different. A friend of mine through track & field, who likes a social drink or two himself, lives in Somerset in SW England. Once the smoking ban in pubs was introduced (about 2007 or so), he found that he would regularly notice the same people outside his local pubs smoking. It wasn't unusual for him to drive off to a track meet at, say 12:15 PM, and return at about 6:30 PM and see the same guys outside a nearby pub each time.

      Comment


      • hard to pick a side in this one....

        Mother, 2-year-old kicked off American flight after toddler refuses to wear mask
        "What do you want me to do, duct tape his face?"


        https://abcnews.go.com/ABCNews/mothe...ry?id=73144268

        Comment


        • No it isn't...it is stupid. Ever travelled with a 2 year old?

          A lot of airlines don't even require that.

          https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffwh.../#5755e1293be2
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-22-2020, 04:48 PM.

          Comment


          • meanwhile on the left coast.....

            Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott took his $2.5 million bonus -- and laid off and furloughed 94 employees a month later.

            https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/jo...CquM2ubXbd0fxU

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gh View Post
              meanwhile on the left coast.....

              Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott took his $2.5 million bonus -- and laid off and furloughed 94 employees a month later.

              https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/jo...CquM2ubXbd0fxU
              Everything that is wrong with college sports and unchecked CEO power.

              Comment


              • Meanwhile....in the FT

                Musicians should not be distant

                Van Morrison is under fire for making anti-lockdown songs, but the singer has a duty as an artist to respond to events, argues Ludovic Hunter-Tilney

                The liner notes to Van Morrison’s 1970 album Moon-dance tell a fable about a talented young man whose gifts bring joy to his town. But he starts selling his gifts — for which read songs — and this makes him rich but unhappy. Thick clouds envelop the town and his lover grows ill. The young man comes to her sickbed and serenades her with his gifts. The tale (written by Morrison’s then wife) ends with her recovery. “Do you see now, my love, that you have given your gifts to me and I am well,” she says. “But what of the people in the town who still suffer? And what of the longings in your own heart?”

                Fifty years later, the people of the town — that’s to say, us — are suffering from our own bout of sickness: corona-virus. But the talented young man, now grown old and crotchety — that’s the 75-year-old Van Morrison — is causing outrage with his views. Social distancing is a “pseudoscience” that will kill live music, the singer-songwriter claims. He is currently touring socially distanced venues but wants to see them at full capacity again. By a piquant coincidence, his three shows at the London Palladium this week are due to take place as the official alert level in the UK is raised and new restrictions come into force.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by gh View Post
                  meanwhile on the left coast.....

                  Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott took his $2.5 million bonus -- and laid off and furloughed 94 employees a month later.

                  https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/jo...CquM2ubXbd0fxU
                  A self serving arsehole, if ever there was one

                  Comment


                  • whoops! there goes the tp again

                    Don't panic buy, Tesco boss tells British shoppers after new COVID curbs

                    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKCN26E1KQ

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by gh View Post
                      whoops! there goes the tp again
                      Too late for this cowboy. When TP came back to my box store, I went three days in a week and got two of the mega-packs (48 rolls!) of Charmin each time (store limit). My side of the closet is wall-to-wall TP now. Ain't fooling me again!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Too late for this cowboy. When TP came back to my box store, I went three days in a week and got two of the mega-packs (48 rolls!) of Charmin each time (store limit). My side of the closet is wall-to-wall TP now. Ain't fooling me again!
                        What did you do for the 2nd week?

                        Comment


                        • The photo illustrating a USA Today article about college students not showing up during covid times is appropriate:


                          death valley.JPG

                          Comment


                          • The Metropolitan Opera in NYC has canceled its 2020-2021 season.

                            https://www.cnn.com/style/article/me...rnd/index.html

                            Comment


                            • Elton John has scheduled his 2022 tour. Optimistic bastid.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                                Elton John has scheduled his 2022 tour. Optimistic bastid.
                                I demand a refund! We went to his concert last summer. It was billed as his LAST EVER USA stop. He reneged!
                                I am a B+ EJ fan, but the concert was outstanding. He came out as a doddering old man and then proceeded to go nutzoid for two hours, belting out the hits and dancing at the piano. I thought they'd have to stretcher him out, but he enjoyed it as much as we did.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X