Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on coping with C19 lockdown

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Her grandfather has now passed away.

    R.I.P.

    https://twitter.com/karagoucher/stat...48622093950977

    Comment


    • My wife’s platform tennis league is starting play at the end the month. Without masks. The teams play four doubles matches against another team in the 8-team division for fourteen weeks and ends in early March.

      Comment


      • Are the doubles partners expected to keep social distance between them? That doesn't seem practical, and I wonder how safe this can be, especially when the players are breathing heavily from the exertion of the game.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
          My wife’s platform tennis league is starting play at the end the month. Without masks.
          I have yet to find a mask that I can exercise in. They all make me feel like I'm gasping for air (and I don't think face shields do much of anything).

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I have yet to find a mask that I can exercise in. They all make me feel like I'm gasping for air (and I don't think face shields do much of anything).
            I exercise in these https://sewsporty.com/collections/fa...cts/face-masks. I've done some hard (85%+ HR) and sustained (90+ minutes) efforts in them.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bhall View Post
              I exercise in these https://sewsporty.com/collections/fa...cts/face-masks. I've done some hard (85%+ HR) and sustained (90+ minutes) efforts in them.
              I did have something similar near the start (March), but no success. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I'm just mask-claustrophobic!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                I did have something similar near the start (March), but no success. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I'm just mask-claustrophobic!
                Or you could spend about 10 hours/day like this:

                TeamPicture.jpg

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                  Or you could spend about 10 hours/day like this:
                  Nope, that's why THEY are heroes!

                  Comment


                  • Meanwhile...


                    34 people connected to White House, more than previously known, infected by coronavirus: Internal FEMA memo

                    The administration has sought to downplay the spread.


                    https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/...mpression=true

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I have yet to find a mask that I can exercise in. They all make me feel like I'm gasping for air (and I don't think face shields do much of anything).
                      The South Korea national football team used to train in masks to mimic altitude training in the 80s. Obviously it didn't help...I once wondered if any of them had some kind of lung problems after this pseudo-scientific stuff

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        Are the doubles partners expected to keep social distance between them? That doesn't seem practical, and I wonder how safe this can be, especially when the players are breathing heavily from the exertion of the game.
                        If they play properly, they'll spend 90% of the match at least 8 feet apart. They can't cover the court properly if they stay close together. Remember the doubles court uses the outer lines, which makes it 9 feet wider than the singles court.

                        And if they're playing in an outdoor facility, which is the case for most tennis courts, that's another order of magnitude of risk reduction. Overall I'd say it's lower risk than eating in an indoor restaurant at 50% capacity.

                        https://ausapproach.wordpress.com/20...nge-your-game/
                        r0_0_3000_1687_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
                        Last edited by 18.99s; 10-08-2020, 07:50 AM. Reason: Edited to remove accidental double-quoting

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Nope, that's why THEY are heroes!
                          No, just doing our jobs.

                          I was an intern/resident in the mid-80s - right in the middle of when AIDS was discovered and proliferating. At the time it was considered uniformly fatal. Damn right we were scared, but we kept working. I've thought about that a lot during all this and realize many of the protective measures that were instituted in medicine during the AIDS crisis have probably saved lives during COVID19, although many of the younger physicians may not realize that.

                          When I was young and playing golf, I bit my fingernails pretty badly. When you do that you get little nicks around the skin edges often. Working in the ER during that time cured me of that. Haven't bitten my nails since the mid-80s.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

                            If they play properly, they'll spend 90% of the match at least 8 feet apart. They can't cover the court properly if they stay close together. Remember the doubles court uses the outer lines, which makes it 9 feet wider than the singles court.

                            And if they're playing in an outdoor facility, which is the case for most tennis courts, that's another order of magnitude of risk reduction. Overall I'd say it's lower risk than eating in an indoor restaurant at 50% capacity.

                            https://ausapproach.wordpress.com/20...nge-your-game/
                            r0_0_3000_1687_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
                            The picture that you posted is that of a tennis court. Halfmiler2's post, and my response, related to platform tennis, which is played on a court that is one-third the size of a traditional tennis court. It's also played with paddles, not tennis racquets.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bhall View Post

                              I exercise in these https://sewsporty.com/collections/fa...cts/face-masks. I've done some hard (85%+ HR) and sustained (90+ minutes) efforts in them.
                              I haven't been to the gym since March 16 and when I exercise now I'm not close enough to anyone to need a mask. At 85%+ MHR (real, not 220-age) I'm breathing through my mouth and I would need to be a lot further away than 6' for proper social distancing.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                Meanwhile...


                                34 people connected to White House, more than previously known, infected by coronavirus: Internal FEMA memo

                                The administration has sought to downplay the spread.


                                https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/...mpression=true
                                That's about what we have in NZ, all of whom were returning kiwis from overseas.

                                We are pretty lucky having eliminated the community spread outbreak that appears 10 weeks ago.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X