Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Nope, the question supposed that the vaccine was available. Because vaccines may only have a 50-60% effectiveness rate (plenty of people get the flu that had the shot), masks / distancing will still be a thing once the vaccine is available.
    Not all vaccines have a 50-60% effectiveness. Plenty of them are close to 100%. Flu is difficult because it mutates so easily. We have no idea what the effectiveness will be yet for any coronavirus vaccine. It may be 50%, it may be 100% - have to wait and see.

Comment

• What bam said. I was surprised by the "experts" inequivalent opinion. I look on masks as a temporary, necessary nuisance but hate to contemplate a lifetime where masks are as ubiquitous as pants.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
        What bam said. I was surprised by the "experts" inequivalent opinion. I look on masks as a temporary, necessary nuisance but hate to contemplate a lifetime where masks are as ubiquitous as pants.
        As ubiquitous as pants? What are pants? 😉

Comment

• A full stadium watched the All Blacks and Australia battle to a 16-16 draw
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
            Not all vaccines have a 50-60% effectiveness. Plenty of them are close to 100%. Flu is difficult because it mutates so easily. We have no idea what the effectiveness will be yet for any coronavirus vaccine. It may be 50%, it may be 100% - have to wait and see.
            You're the doc! I thought the problem with the flu (and Covid) is that it mutates and the vaccine you get might not be the strain you have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              You're the doc! I thought the problem with the flu (and Covid) is that it mutates and the vaccine you get might not be the strain you have.
              That's true of the flu. We have no idea what the vaccine for COVID19 will be, despite the media seeming to have all-omniscient knowledge. There are dozens out there in the pipeline and no one knows which will come to fruition or what its effectiveness might be.

Comment

That's true of the flu. We have no idea what the vaccine for COVID19 will be, despite the media seeming to have all-omniscient knowledge. There are dozens out there in the pipeline and no one knows which will come to fruition or what its effectiveness might be.
                OK.
                I found where I read that 50-60% but let's hope it's much higher or we're stuck in this hellscape for the foreseeable future.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-08-0...NJe/index.html

Comment

More on the flu here:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/types.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

As ubiquitous as pants? What are pants? 😉

In public or polite company

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                      But apparently 99 out of 100 Americans have been using hand sanitizer regularly, given how fast it flew off the shelves earlier in the pandemic, and how many liquor producers and chemical companies jumped in to fill the demand.
                      Or 50% (or even fewer) people are buying all the sanitizer, and the rest is not interested.

Comment

• Britain’s New Measures to Control Virus Inflame North-South Tensions

Boris Johnson campaigned on a promise to “level up” struggling northern areas, but his three-tier plan threatens to keep them in economically debilitating lockdowns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/w....co/sDBcBeHnVE

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam$ View Post
                          Lit's most famous hand-washer...Jaggers: "his hands always smell like soap, and he washes his hands constantly, like he's trying to wash away the grime, the corruption, and the horrors of those he works with everyday." Great Expectations

Canada
                          has a ten person limit for indoor Thanksgiving tomorrow (25 if held outdoors eh) as per Covid rules.
                          I think Lady Macbeth is arguably a wee bit more famous....

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                            What bam said. I was surprised by the "experts" inequivalent opinion. I look on masks as a temporary, necessary nuisance but hate to contemplate a lifetime where masks are as ubiquitous as pants.
                            But it's possible; perhaps we are looking at either a long-term expectation management or a long-term behaviour adjustment, according to the different preferences of different peoples

Comment

• Little history on masks from my career - when I was in med school I remember the microbiology lectures first year and the lecturer discussed surgical masks (not N95), and said, "They don't do anything." About 15 years ago I made my first trip to Japan and was surprised to see how many people were wearing masks. On return I asked a top infectious disease consultant at Duke about this and he said, "They don't do anything." In surgery, when we were really worried about infections (AIDS, Hep C patients), we always wore a face shield in addition to the mask. The shield is impermeable as opposed to a more porous mask, but its more open on the sides and neck.

There's a pretty good summary article I read yesterday in Nature about masks and their effectiveness or lack thereof, stating that the evidence on this is all over the map. Hard to say how effective they are for the type of masks most people are using. Having said that, they likely provide some protection to larger droplets and are better than nothing, and I do always wear them when out and about. I have some face shields and sometimes wear them, but I always wear something. If we get a decent vaccine, doubt I'll be wearing a mask or face shield after that.

Comment

• First comment on this thread---
                                Like several of you, I've lived alone since 2006.
                                So being isolated isn't new to me!
                                (Had too many lousy roommates over the years! LOL)

A woman does my food shopping once a month--since August 2018--I pay her $25/hr--and she's worth every penny!!
                                Also have 20 hours of caregiving--mainly laundry & cleaning & LOTS of talking!
                                My latest one (1st one quit right after March lockdown!!) is a 23 year old lesbian--and I love her!
                                Surprisingly (for a Millennial!), we have LOTS in common, and we always have amazing conversations!
                                Also have in-home nursing (I have lymphedema on lower legs & feet!)--they wrap my legs twice weekly--and we always talk also!
                                So---not quite entirely alone!!

As you all, know, had cataract surgery on Sept 10--so since then I've been going WILD---reading books again, revising my T&F Record Book,--and since Sept 24 again doing my blog!!
                                I've done 13 posts so far--going back in tim e to report everything that happened since the beginning of the WC's in Doha last year!
                                All stuff I missed due to poor eyesight--now FIXED!!

I own over 600 DVD's, 270 CD's, and probably close to 1000 books, plus many magazines of a historical nature!
                                I also have Hulu and Netflix!

As for toilet paper--no problem finding it---although a few months ago (around start of lockdown) a nurse told me he went to 2 large stores & both were sold out on TP--so he ordered it from Amazon!!

I watched very little news for a few months--just a few minutes here and there--until a month or so ago!
                                (Getting my eyesight back makes it easier!! LOL)

I Googled a timeline for the entire Covid Pandemic--and found a FANTASTIC one!!
                                It's from "Think Global Health"--and should be easy to find!
                                It goes back to Dec 1 of 2019!!
                                Each entry is just 1 line (or 1 sentence!)--and gives all kinds of info--a Nation's first case/death--State's first case/death--what Trump has said or done--what other Nation's leaders have been doing, including when they locked down--all kinds of shit!

And it is fucking SCARY!!!!
                                It's like reading the script of the most horrible horror movie!!
                                Strongly recommend checking it out---but prepare for some really HORRIBLE shit!!

I'm happy doing my blog again--just ended the INdoor season--will start on OUTdoors soon!
                                I'm doing it linearly--so if you want the last month or so results--you'll have to wait a week or three!!

Sorry for the length---didn't know this was such an interesting thread!!
                                LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X