Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    I am in splendid isolation on the farm for the NZ total lockdown - except for essential services.

Being a tick in just about every "at risk" covid-19 box, my kids insisted I move out of Auckland and to the farm in the Wairarapa - truly in wopwops. Google map, 9 Hinau Gully Road, Carrington, New Zealand, and you will see what I mean.
    Thanks for that, Tuariki.. I love Google Earth... I see the mountains/hills a few miles west of Carrington are mostly heavily treed, those east are mostly barren, the flatland/valleys have few trees but there are small patches of heavily wooded flat lands.. Question: were the valleys originally wooded before cleared for farming?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

Thanks for that, Tuariki.. I love Google Earth... I see the mountains/hills a few miles west of Carrington are mostly heavily treed, those east are mostly barren, the flatland/valleys have few trees but there are small patches of heavily wooded flat lands.. Question: were the valleys originally wooded before cleared for farming?
      They were wooded and then the Europeans arrived in the early 1800s are started clearing for farms.

Like you, I love Google Earth. I especially enjoy zeroing in on all the places where I once lived, worked, trained etc etc.,

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
        One thing suggested downunder - especially in case of a more severe lockdown - was that with cancellation of all sports & postponement of the Olympics:

A free-to-air TV channel could re-run the 2000 Sydney Olympics as a 'virtually live' event.

I like this idea. I guess the UK (and others) could do it for their most recent home-Games too.
        I read someone online suggesting it here for London 2012. Watching the track & field on TV would be quite weird for me as I was in the stadium for all of it.

Comment

It looks as if NBC Sports Gold is temporarily offering free access to reruns of past events.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            You've seen this?!
            1928 Sunrise

I see it's on Youtube, but after 2 minutes I was done.....
            Not only have I seen in, like all the Oscar winners I own the DVD.

I found it quite enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
              Resist the constant temptation to check the current status of the world online or on TV.

. . .
              Well said! Too much information, and hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I have the opposite problem. As a hospital Chaplain, my workload has increased. We have less patients, as the hospital is limiting admissions so as to be ready for a COVID surge should it come. But we are also limiting visitors to end-of-life patients and newborns & pediatrics, so I have become many patient's favorite (only) visitor. When I get home, it is a pleasure to socially distance myself . . . except from my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

Thanks for that, Tuariki.. I love Google Earth...
                Ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  Not only have I seen in, like all the Oscar winners I own the DVD.I found it quite enjoyable.
                  Jeez - and I purport MYSELF to be a cinephile! Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post

Well said! Too much information, and hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.
                    Actually not really....lots of reliable information out there and not hard to find.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                      I've watched about 30 of them. Most watched was Lawrence of Arabia - 8 times.
                      Trivia: T.E. Lawrence wrote a book called "Seven Pillars Of Wisdom." He accidentally left his first draft on a British train. It has never been found. Can you imagine how much you could get for that? Probably sitting in some attic in Surrey somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Trivia: T.E. Lawrence wrote a book called "Seven Pillars Of Wisdom." He accidentally left his first draft on a British train. It has never been found. Can you imagine how much you could get for that? Probably sitting in some attic in Surrey somewhere.
                        Yes a well known story...I wonder if it is even true. Lawrence had a habit of making up things.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                          here's a sort by number ..
                          I count 14 on the list that I have seen ! and more than double that number I have never even heard of.
                          Last edited by user4; 03-27-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post

....I have the opposite problem. As a hospital Chaplain, my workload has increased. We have less patients, as the hospital is limiting admissions so as to be ready for a COVID surge should it come.......
                            Sadly and scarily, your workload is probably going to increase exponentially, and very soon.

So, look after yourself and be safe.

‚Äč

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Actually not really....lots of reliable information out there and not hard to find.
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

Comment

• I have seen about 56 on the movie list in theater, a few more on TV. The earliest in theater GWTW 1939, rather remarkable since I was an 8 year old 3rd grader. The small rural school I attended loaded everyone on buses for ten mile trip to the nearest town with a "picture show". I don't know how my parents came up with the 10 cents... a few kids did not go for lack of a dime..We also saw Wizard of Oz, which is more likely. .. just pondering that, a hundred kids attended a movie for $10.00.. One of the few air conditioned buildings in the 30s, that theater operated until it burned circa 1990. I do not know when it was built. This county was homesteaded in 1896, the town established in 1902 and it was the core of the one block "downtown". At my 50th class reunion in 1999, the vacant lot was a grassy, 25 foot wide city park between the still standing but vacant buildings that housed a cafe and pool hall.

Comment

Working...
                                X