Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...died-election/
    So one staffer/nut went to the polls sick and was dead a few days later. I have to say my-no wait- experience Tues. was the best I ever had. I had a black hat/mask on so I looked kind of ominous walking in. If it had been raining I was going as Lawrence of Arabia which would have been fun.

Comment

• Interesting article - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...76E0DFE9BBAE14

Comment

• My county looks like it will win the race for highest voter turnout in the state, with 90.5%. We are fully vote by mail. Our ballot drop box was on one side of the fire station, where you parked in front of it and got out to insert your ballot, shortly before the election they moved to the other side so you could drop it off from your car, I think both to be more COVID friendly, and possibly to better handle a possible rush of people dropping off ballots.

Comment

• Our dishwasher broke the other day. My in-laws have had their old (but still much newer and nicer than ours) dishwasher waiting for us in their garage on the mainland. My husband made a quik day trip down there to pick it up, came home with Thai food, teriyaki and sushi. I think I've only had sushi one other time since the pandemic started. Can't get it here.

Comment

• British police arrest 104 Londoners for breach of lockdown restrictions

British police said they arrested 104 Londoners on Thursday for breach of coronavirus regulations, adding that they expected more arrests as policing operations continued into the night.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-h...-idUKKBN27L321

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
              My county looks like it will win the race for highest voter turnout in the state, with 90.5%. We are fully vote by mail. Our ballot drop box was on one side of the fire station, where you parked in front of it and got out to insert your ballot, shortly before the election they moved to the other side so you could drop it off from your car, I think both to be more COVID friendly, and possibly to better handle a possible rush of people dropping off ballots.
              Mrs. tandfman and I voted in a similar way a week before Election Day. We took our absentee ballots to a local early-voting place, where there were very long lines to vote. But just inside the door was a secure drop box. There were also a few parking spaces reserved for seniors (that would include me) right in front of the building. I got out of the car, took our ballots (in the appropriate sealed envelopes) to the drop box and went back to the car. I and everyone else there (voters and election workers) were wearing masks. I think I was outside of my car for 30-40 seconds. I felt good about the whole process--I didn't have to worry about putting the ballot into the US mails, and I didn't have to stand in line for an hour in the cold.

Comment

• Probably watched the most ESPN content I ever have.

Comment

I think I've only had sushi one other time since the pandemic started. Can't get it here.
                  You don't have a fishing pole?

Comment

. . . and sushi. I think I've only had sushi one other time since the pandemic started. Can't get it here.
                    During covid times this is the one food we regularly go to a restaurant for (take out). Most everything else we want to eat we can fix at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

Mrs. tandfman and I voted in a similar way a week before Election Day. We took our absentee ballots to a local early-voting place, where there were very long lines to vote. But just inside the door was a secure drop box. There were also a few parking spaces reserved for seniors (that would include me) right in front of the building. I got out of the car, took our ballots (in the appropriate sealed envelopes) to the drop box and went back to the car. I and everyone else there (voters and election workers) were wearing masks. I think I was outside of my car for 30-40 seconds. I felt good about the whole process--I didn't have to worry about putting the ballot into the US mails, and I didn't have to stand in line for an hour in the cold.
                      In NJ, only disabled voters could use voting machines on Election Day. Voters could cast their paper ballots one of three ways: by mail, by drop box, or by handing them in at the polling place. Voters who lost the paper ballot they received by mail (or did not get one) could submit a provisional paper ballot at the polling place.

Our little town has about 2K votes. There were 126 provisional ballots, 74 ballots handed in at the polling place, and zero disabled voters using the voting machine. Everyone else used the mail or a dropbox.

Comment

• This is pretty comical...

The Digital Nomads Did Not Prepare for This

They moved to exotic locales to work through the pandemic in style. But now tax trouble, breakups and Covid guilt are setting in.

“They make you feel bad because you’re not unplugging and getting into nature,” Ms. Smith-Adair said. “This is my job. I want to unplug, but I also have to get on that Zoom call real quick.” At an R.V. park near Boise, Idaho, she noticed a Wi-Fi hot spot whose name was the equivalent of a middle finger directed at all Californians.

Ms. Smith-Adair’s office became a folding chair on the sidewalk outside whatever McDonald’s or Starbucks was nearby. It wasn’t exactly a peaceful commune with the redwoods. During one curbside conference call in Eugene, Ore., a nearby man with a weed whacker began roaring his motor. Ms. Adair-Smith told him that she was trying to salvage her career. He didn’t care.

They moved to exotic locales to work through the pandemic in style. But now tax trouble, breakups and Covid guilt are setting in.

Comment

• You learn something new everyday dept. Thanks to Google I have learnt that a "weed wacker" is what we tend to call a "strimmer" in the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                            You learn something new everyday dept. Thanks to Google I have learnt that a "weed wacker" is what we tend to call a "strimmer" in the UK.
                            I have seen 'ww' used on TV; it's just a trimmer here.

Comment

• i don't think I've ever heard of it referred to as anything but a weed wacker in this part of the world

Comment

• I've seen both terms used FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                                X