Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife also threw out my favorite golf shirt from college - got it circa 1971. That one lasted about 40 years but was, like yours, too threadbare for her tastes. Fit me perfectly, most comfortable shirt I had. Hated losing it.

Ya gotta remember that when I played pro golf I got golf shirts given to me and I had 100s of them, but these 2 were special.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
      His brother lived in the schoolhouse until he died sometime in the winter of 1944-45.
      They found his body in the spring when he did not show up to pick up his winter mail at the Elkader post office.
      Jeez, your stories always take the prize!!

Comment

• Something like this full-face mask is the type of thing I'd want to have if I had to take a flight before the pandemic is over.

https://www.redusted.com/products/fa...otection-masks

678c71ed52f4b1213cff4bf14550b2d4.jpg

Comment

• Because of the 25% capacity max rule and the potential of crowds for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services, the local parishes in Northern NJ are doing two things: adding more masses and requiring advance reservations for seating.

The Archdiocese is relaxing its normal rule that an “Eve” mass can be as early as 4PM. Instead, it is allowing Christmas Eve masses as early as 2pm.

Our little parish is having six masses (max of 150 at each) but some other nearby parishes are having as many as ten or eleven. Everybody has to wear masks and two of every three pews are taped off for social distancing.

Comment

• Meanwhile....in Brazil....

Brazil’s Bolsonaro says the @pfizer
            vaccine against Covid-19 could turn human beings into alligators...

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamPanche...04422201483270

Comment

• Meanwhile....Tier 4!

UK nixes Christmas gatherings, shuts London shops over virus

https://apnews.com/article/cabinets-...a13d58f5017f21

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Brazil’s Bolsonaro says the vaccine against Covid-19 could turn human beings into alligators...
                You'd have to be the world's most dogged literalist to believe that's what he meant, but talk about mixed messaging . . .

T
                he insisted he would not be vaccinated, even while launching the country's mass innoculation program.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                  My wife also threw out my favorite golf shirt from college - got it circa 1971. That one lasted about 40 years but was, like yours, too threadbare for her tastes. Fit me perfectly, most comfortable shirt I had. Hated losing it.

Ya gotta remember that when I played pro golf I got golf shirts given to me and I had 100s of them, but these 2 were special.
                  I still use some shirts from officiating meets in the 1980s that I have not given up on yet.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Last train out of Saigon. Queue at St Pancras as we wait to board the Leeds bound train.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HarrietCl...83304143540227

Comment

Meanwhile....

Last train out of Saigon. Queue at St Pancras as we wait to board the Leeds bound train.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HarrietCl...83304143540227
                      reading the extended comments that go with that Tweet is rather fascinating

Comment

• Meanwhile, things are pretty bad in the UK. I get a Covid update email from The Times and this morning, the UK daily death count report topped 1000 I think for the first time. Per capita, that would be the equivalent of more than 4000 in the US

Comment

• Mutant strain of virus has UK shutting down Christmas

https://www.aol.com/lifestyle/uk-pri...144521492.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Jeez, your stories always take the prize!!
                            Great Uncle Simon was a legend on the Kansas frontier in the late 19th century. Born in NW Missouri circa 1860, he was too young for the Civil War that killed his father. He survived the Mormon wars and "Went West Young Man" just in time to catch the tail end of the Plains Indian War.

Western Kansas was surveyed in Sections, Township and Ranges for homesteading with cornerstones placed at the corners of every section. With few roads, farmers tended to expand their holdings by creeping/cultivating onto neighboring farms. Simon was the recognized expert/arbiter on locating the true corner of each section, as well as unofficially managing the county horse-drawn road grader with which landowners were obligated to maintain the primitive roads adjacent to their farms.

Simon and my grandfather acquired several 160-acre farms from defaulting homesteaders on the flat wheatlands adjoining the "badlands" along the Smoky Hill River. They built their original homestead in a deeply incised box canyon on one of the river tributaries. They built a stone wall/fence across the mouth of the canyon creating a livestock corral and dug stone-fronted living quarters and barn into opposite canyon walls.

Simon's left thumb was snapped off when caught in a bight roping cattle. He dismounted, found the more or less intact thumb, put it in his vest pocket, got back on his horse, rode 120 miles to the nearest doctor in Hayes City, KS, where the thumb was declared too desiccated to reattach, rode home and life went on.

During WWII, this sparsely settled area of western Kansas was a US Army Air Corp bombing/strafing range, and all residents were urged/ordered to evacuate.
                            Simon declined/refused, reckoning he had survived the Mormon Wars, Indian Wars, and WWI and could outlast the WWII skirmish. When I explored the dugout barn in1955, I found literally thousands of copper shell casings of various calibers he had collected.

WWII did not get him but Father time did. After his death, my father and grandfather went to Kansas to collect his meager belongings. His father's Civil War cavalry saddle and saber hung in our barn thereafter, at least until I left for college in 1949. I do not know what became of it or the saber.

Comment

Meanwhile....Tier 4!

UK nixes Christmas gatherings, shuts London shops over virus

https://apnews.com/article/cabinets-...a13d58f5017f21
                              Where I am I've gone from Tier 2 Friday to Tier 3 Saturday and Tier 4 Sunday!

With hindsight, the Government made a bad call to over-promise a relaxing of rules for Christmas that they have now rowed back on. Lots of people will now be forced to spend Christmas alone while others have bought food for visitors who now won't be coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                                Simon's left thumb was snapped off when caught in a bight roping cattle.
                                Yeah, I hate when that happens. All in a day's work, I guess [huge rolling eyes] 🙄

Comment

Working...
                                X