Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Where I am I've gone from Tier 2 Friday to Tier 3 Saturday and Tier 4 Sunday!

With hindsight, the Government made a bad call to over-promise a relaxing of rules for Christmas that they have now rowed back on. Lots of people will now be forced to spend Christmas alone while others have bought food for visitors who now won't be coming.
    Boris as usual has handled it badly. Travel bans don't work very well.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-20-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Yes, the short notice meant that there was a sudden rush and social distancing had to be forgotten!

Comment

• Where can I find an explanation of the UK's tier system?

Comment

• This is as good as any....it's very confusing...even for Brits according to my emails.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52530518
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-20-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Brinkmanship or Bluster? On Brexit and Pandemic, Boris Johnson Leaves It Late

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s 11th-hour reversal on a Christmas lockdown on Saturday so rattled Britain that it managed to overshadow the other down-to-the-wire drama he was staging: the trade negotiations in Brussels between his country and the European Union.

Taken together, Mr. Johnson’s approach to the pandemic and to the Brexit talks displays his penchant for deferring hard decisions to the bitter end — a foible that critics say has complicated Britain’s handling of the pandemic and narrowed the window for public scrutiny of any trade deal with Brussels.

Mr. Johnson’s sudden imposition of a lockdown drove thousands of Londoners to stores on a frantic Saturday night to finish Christmas shopping before the doors closed, and to railway stations to flee the capital.

That vitiated the government’s goal of curbing social contacts in the face of a new variant of the coronavirus that British officials said spreads far faster than the original strain. Indeed, the escapees from London are likely to spread the virus throughout the country, which reported 35,928 new cases on Sunday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/20/w....co/DiFYTLOxFm
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-20-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              This is as good as any....it's very confusing...even for Brits according to my emails.
              This seems pretty straightforward: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...ockdown-tiers/

Comment

• The problem is Tier status changes almost whimsically...

A friend in Yorkshire...last week...

Bit silly, and tiers may be reversed soon as London has more cases than we do so should be put up to Tier 3 and we could go down to tier 2. Recently I was not allowed to ride with my club mates (6 max was allowed outdoors) because Sheffield was Tier 3 and at the time North East Derbyshire (just 200 metres down the road) was in Tier 2. And you couldn't cross into another tier!

Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-20-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• The FT Thursday....

There were some anomalies in the data with the Derbyshire Dales area of the Peak District, in tier 3, having both a lower prevalence of the virus than most tier 2 areas and a falling rate of infections. Northampton was lucky to stay in tier 2 with a higher and rising rate of infections than many tier 3 areas.

In tier 2, pubs and restaurants are allowed to open, although with alcohol served only with a substantial meal.

Although Herefordshire was moved into tier 1, its positive cases are rising and it has as high a prevalence of the virus as many tier 2 areas.

Comment

• Support for introduction of Tier 4 coronavirus restrictions ALL BRITONS Support - 74% / Oppose - 17% CON VOTERS 79% / 17% LAB VOTERS 72% / 19% LONDONERS 67% / 27%

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/st...10229097144325

Comment

• In the FT tomorrow....

‘Out of control’ Covid-19 variant means curbs will stay for months

Ministers warned yesterday that England faces months of tough restrictions until all elderly and vulnerable people have been vaccinated, as concern grew over a new strain of Covid-19.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said the new variant of the virus — estimated to spread 70 per cent faster than previous strains — was “out of control”, as he justified the government’s new curbs in the south-east of England.

Comment

• My father, who's 84 with a couple of risk factors, got the first part of his vaccination on Saturday.

Comment

• That's good to hear....

A friend in Sheffield mother is 90...no word yet..

Comment

• This is cool....

https://mobile.twitter.com/scott_ker...99932893782019

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Idea of the Year.
                              Engineering feat of the Year
                              Video of the Year (how is the camera moving with the ball?)

Blows me away.

Comment

• I did not recognize that tune.

Comment

Working...
                                X