Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FT has The Quiz of the Year today....no. 1...

Vienna Philharmonic orchestra took part in an experiment to find out which musical instruments were most dangerous for spreading coronavirus. Name the worst offender.

A Flute

B Trumpet

C Trombone

D Cor anglais

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      The FT has The Quiz of the Year today....no. 1...

Vienna Philharmonic orchestra took part in an experiment to find out which musical instruments were most dangerous for spreading coronavirus. Name the worst offender.

A Flute

B Trumpet

C Trombone

D Cor anglais
      Cor Blimey what's an Anglais?

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Cor Blimey what's an Anglais?
        English Horn

Comment

• The one played by the covid victim would be my first guess. Otherwise my guess would be flute: all the rest take pretty much 100% of your breath directly into the instrument; flutists blow over the top of the of the mouthpiece.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
            The one played by the covid victim would be my first guess. Otherwise my guess would be flute: all the rest take pretty much 100% of your breath directly into the instrument; flutists blow over the top of the of the mouthpiece.
            Bad Hammy with great logic is right!

The flute...

I guessed trombone...
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 12-23-2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Another....

4 Which of these won The Bookseller magazine’s annual Diagram Prize for oddest book title of the year?

A Introducing the Medieval Ass

B A Dog Pissing at the Edge of a Path: Animal Metaphors in Eastern Indonesian Society

C Lawnmowers: An Illustrated History

D How to Make Love to a Despot: An Alternative Foreign Policy for the Twenty-First Century

Comment

B A Dog Pissing at the Edge of a Path: Animal Metaphors in Eastern Indonesian Society
                I like that one a lot.

Comment

• Another winner!

Comment

• 30 This year the American Library Association published a list of the 100 books that received the most requests to be removed from US libraries and schools during the 2010s. Which of the following was not on the list?

A Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

B Captain Underpants series of illustrated novels

C The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

D The Bible

Comment

• Potter & the Bible seem a given. So is it prudish parents who have issues with underpants or anti-semetic folks who think Frank is fake news? It's America so I'll go with Captain Underpants.

Comment

• A was not on the list....

Comment

• Pastor Who Disregarded COVID-19 Restrictions Citing ‘Faith Over Fear’ Loses Both Parents to Virus

A Texas pastor who repeatedly questioned COVID-19 restrictions and continued to hold services during the pandemic lost both of his parents to coronavirus complications earlier this month.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...161409297.html

Comment

• 11 In February, the new £20 note entered circulation with a portrait of the painter JMW Turner. During his lifetime he was known for his thriftiness, including a reputed occasion when he sold a seascape painting to a marquess for 250 guineas and then repeatedly but unsuccessfully demanded 20 guineas more. Why?

A For the cost of the frame

B To touch up the painting

C Otherwise Turner threatened to paint an exact replica of the painting

D To add his signature

Comment

11 In February, the new £20 note entered circulation with a portrait of the painter JMW Turner. During his lifetime he was known for his thriftiness, including a reputed occasion when he sold a seascape painting to a marquess for 250 guineas and then repeatedly but unsuccessfully demanded 20 guineas more. Why?

A For the cost of the frame

B To touch up the painting

C Otherwise Turner threatened to paint an exact replica of the painting

D To add his signature
                              Gotta be A, which he probably assumed should be 'sold separately'.

Comment

• and another (important) thread goes stunningly off-topic....

Comment

Working...
                                X