Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

IIRC, 5 was affiliated with something called the Dumont Television Network at some point, but Dumont ceased to exist long ago.
    And I imagine they were sponsored by Rheingold and had commercials promoting the Miss Rheingold contest? Those were the days, eh?

Comment

• In Boston the Red Sox were sponsored for many years by Narragansett beer. The games were announced by Curt Gowdy who would always say, "Have a 'Gansett, neighbor"

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

And I imagine they were sponsored by Rheingold and had commercials promoting the Miss Rheingold contest? Those were the days, eh?
        I remember those commercials, but I have no recollection at all of those commercials' being associated with Channel 5.
        Last edited by tandfman; 01-11-2021, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

80s with 12 channels??? How about 60s-70s with 3 channels?

My Dad was an early adapter of UHF, had multiple antenna's on rotors to point in different directions. Switches to change antenna's that looked like something to power the electric chair. On the SF peninsula, we got channels from Santa Rosa, Sacramento, and San Jose as well as San Francisco. Of course, all in low fidelity. And it was only hooked up in a bedroom he converted into a bar, dark room for developing B&W pictures, and of course the couch that folded out into a very uncomfortable bed that weighed a ton.

Comment

• Blockbuster.jpg

Comment

• My first exposure to television was a newsreel about the 1939 Worlds Fair that had a clip of a 12' circular BW cathode tube. My grandfather had a large wooden floor standing Zenith radio with a large circular broadband dial and multiple buttons. My eight-year-old self was certain it was a TV set but I never succeeded in getting a picture on it.
              The first actual functioning TV I remember seeing was in 1949, a 13" B&W mounted high on the wall of the OAMC student union lounge. I don't how many channels it received. I don't think it ever changed but was well attended.
              The first TV I owned was a 17" Zenith, acquired in Wichita, KS in 1955 when I left active duty and started my civilian career. It had rabbit ears but I erected a directional antenna on the roof. I think we got three channels. My Seattle lawyer daughter, one-year-old at the time, grew up with that TV, painted it orange and black, and took it to Okla State in 1972. She still has that TV. Not in daily use but we hooked it up with rabbit ears a couple of years ago and it still works. A bit snowy but many things 65 years old tend to show a little snow.
              Moved from Wichita to OKC in 1965, bought first color TV to watch bowl games.

Last edited by lonewolf; 01-11-2021, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• My earliest memories include the whole family watching Mama, probably in 1954. The next year one of my grandparents' neighbors got a Color TV (gasp!) and we'd go over to watch Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color. I remember thinking - why is everything green (which seemed to be the predominant color)? We did not get our own Color TV until 1965!

apropos of nothing, I just stumbled across this newspaper clipping from 1953, pretty darn prescient!:

https://historydaily.org/content/205...54fa2d79e2.jpg
                Last edited by Atticus; 01-11-2021, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• My first exposure to Tv was in the U.K. 1952. Kids shows in the a.m. "Bill and Ben Flowerpot men." Then the TV went fuzzy until circa 5 P.M. for the news. They would have clips over and over again to while away the time, including Bannister's sub 4 minute. I had a stopwatch and timed it. Usually stopped at 3.59...something.
                  https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...7&action=click
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTXoTnp_5sI
                  That's Franz Stampfl in the polka dot hat holding him up.
                  Last edited by jeremyp; 01-11-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• When the current Queen Elizabeth was crowned in 1953, my Mother's family were the only people in her street with a TV so they allowed many of their neighbours to came in and watch the Coronation.

Comment

• Remember the machine at the grocery store where you would test your vacuum tubes for the tv? Trial and error to find the one that wasn't working.

Comment

• Boston T-Shirt:

Boston T.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by schigh View Post
                          Remember the machine at the grocery store where you would test your vacuum tubes for the tv? Trial and error to find the one that wasn't working.
                          We just got a TV repairman come fix it....

Comment

• My dad was the ultimate fix-it-yourself handyman, but I sure don't remember a machine like that.

Comment

Remember the machine at the grocery store where you would test your vacuum tubes for the tv? Trial and error to find the one that wasn't working.
                              didn't have one of those, but the local music store had one for radios

Comment

I do have a recollection of a device like this:

s-l1600.jpg
                                Last edited by wamego relays champ; 01-12-2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X