Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    On further review, I see I beat Tuariki to Ft Leonard Wood, MO by 18 years
    Aha, so, obviously FLW actually stood for Fort Lone Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
      halfmiler2 - born in Passaic County (Paterson), right next to Teaneck, lived first few years in Hawthorne, NJ, and spent some time in Teaneck at a favorite aunt & uncle's home
      There was an opthomologist who started out in baseball, he was originally from Patterson NJ. He had some success on the track. I wonder if you knew him.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post

There was an opthomologist who started out in baseball, he was originally from Patterson NJ. He had some success on the track. I wonder if you knew him.
        Nope, never met him. We also both went to Duke and Duke Medical School. We're also both in the Paterson Sports Hall of Fame. One other Olympian from Paterson I do know is Steve Rerych - 2 gold medals in swimming relays in 1968. Rerych was a very senior resident in thoracic surgery when I was an intern and junior resident at Duke. He went to NC State and not only swam but pitched on their baseball team that went to the College World Series. He was very modest about his 2 gold medals, stating that he won them mainly because his teammates were Mark Spitz and Don Schollander.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

I have a NJ connection too -- six months stationed at Ft. Dix.
          Ditto. 1969. I always remember one cold winter when my wife was barred from entering the PX because she was wearing pants.

Comment

The longest I lived in the same house was after I retired to Florida. 8 years.

Comment

Mostly SF Bay Area except for two years in Tennessee and the last four in Oregon.

El Cerrito CA
              El Sobrante CA
              San Jose CA
              Nashville TN
              Murfreesboro TN
              Hayward CA
              Alameda CA
              Oakland CA
              Alameda CA again
              Eugene OR
              bad hammy
              Last edited by bad hammy; 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Florence, Italy - what was that for, DJ?
                and from GM: "I assumed he was posing for Michaelangelo!"

Fulbright Fellowship year, '58-59. My father's; I'm not that old. Nor old enough to have posed!
                dj
                Administrator
                Last edited by dj; 03-28-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Ditto. 1969. I always remember one cold winter when my wife was barred from entering the PX because she was wearing pants.
                  Couldn't she just take them off ?
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Nope, never met him. We also both went to Duke and Duke Medical School. We're also both in the Paterson Sports Hall of Fame. One other Olympian from Paterson I do know is Steve Rerych - 2 gold medals in swimming relays in 1968. Rerych was a very senior resident in thoracic surgery when I was an intern and junior resident at Duke. He went to NC State and not only swam but pitched on their baseball team that went to the College World Series. He was very modest about his 2 gold medals, stating that he won them mainly because his teammates were Mark Spitz and Don Schollander.
                    Wow, great stuff, What was it about Paterson NJ ?.. Is there any reason why so many great sport figures came from Paterson ? I think Franklin Jacobs also was from Paterson.

Comment

I'm not sure I would include myself in "great sport figures" from Paterson. Certainly not on a par with either Sime or Rerych, though I could break par better than either of them.

Paterson is not a good place to be from anymore - a pretty tough city. I never actually lived there, but was born there while we were living in nearby Hawthorne. In 1974 I played in the US Amateur at Ridgewood CC, a few miles from Paterson. It was match play, as always (almost). All the New Jersey guys lost in the first round, so the local writers looked down the list to see who they could write about and for the next few rounds I became the "local favorite" after they saw my birthplace. Lost in the quarter-finals to Curtis Strange 1 up on the 18th hole. Curtis shot 30 on the front nine against me (I was 4 down), and shot 66 for the round. I shot 68 and lost. Thus is match play. Curtis had also beaten me earlier in the summer at the Western Amateur, the second most important amateur tournament in the US - again in the quarters, and again 1 up on 18. We became close friends on tour.

After he beat me at Ridgewood, Curtis told the papers what remains my proudest quote concerning my golf game, "Mallon has more guts than any 2 other players out here. I should have beaten him 6&5, but he just would not quit coming at me."

By the way, that match against Curtis was for a spot in the Masters. Back then they took the semi-finalists. Never did get to play at Augusta. Oh well, life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                        Valencia, CA (not knowing that Tuariki spent time there 10 years prior)
                        My wife went to Hart High School in Newhall.

My first job after WSU for 3 months in 1974 was brakeman on the roller coaster at Magic Mountain.

In laws moved to Agua Dulce in 1974.

Mother-in-law now lives in Acton.

Comment

Working...
                        X