Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

The way I see it, there will be no major golf tournaments this year, no Grand Slam tennis tournaments, no Stanley Cup, no NBA Finals, no World Series, no Grand Tour bike races and no Triple Crown horse races. Anyone disagree?

For a lot of reasons, the IOC could not wait until late May to make the postpone decision. But some of these other sports could stay on hold and if things do turn around by late May, they could re-schedule things like the Triple Crown and some of the golf and tennis tournaments. Baseball could start an abbreviated season in June. It's even conceivable that the NBA and NHL could do something, since they're indoor sports and can play any time. All of that having been said, the way I see the C19 situation progressing, I wouldn't disagree with your conclusion.

Comment

what makes you think there will be 2020 college football?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        College football's existence, at least in Louisiana and the rest of the South, is pre-ordained by God. Like the sun rising in the morning....

Comment

They could combine the French Open and US Open. One-half of the court clay, the other half hardcourt.

Comment

I don't see football happening in the fall. Unless they are planning not to have spectators. Yes on the rest.

I could see elite marathons running and skip the masses like Tokyo. Maybe even some track meets with no spectators. A meet at Hayward...

Comment

In the US, if our not-so-good social distancing somehow manages to flatten the curve by say, June, the loosening of restrictions in June/July might lead to another peak of cases in August/September. Just in time for college football....

Comment

I believe in Yankee ingenuity. We masses will be so starved for live competition/entertainment, some brainiac will figure out a way to televise/stream a recognizable sport with minimum risk.
                We WILL have legit comps in several sports by Summer/Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  In the US, if our not-so-good social distancing somehow manages to flatten the curve by say, June, the loosening of restrictions in June/July might lead to another peak of cases in August/September. Just in time for college football....
                  That is the likely outcome...similar to 1918...I just don't see any team sports this year. At least not with spectators...

I suspect with a huge majority sports are so far down the list of priorities that it is barely a thought. I love watching sports...except baseball these days...only tv I watch and I don't miss it at all...what I want to do is just get back to going out on a somewhat normal basis. Avoid crowds but go to the bar, shop etc. see friends again....not have to worry about friends and relatives getting ill....or dying...

A small meet at Hayward sometime this year would be a huge victory.

Comment

I never claimed there would be, only that nothing will happen before then.

Comment

There's always reruns of 2019-20 LSU games!

Comment

Big-time college and pro sports are going to take a tremendous hit as fans and sponsors struggle to get on their feet financially.

Comment

If there is not, we can kiss much of our sport at the collegiate level goodbye forever.

Comment

Will the Walt Disney Company (eg. Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Pictures, 20th Century Studios, ABC, ESPN, Disney World, Disney Land, etc.) survive?

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

If there is not, we can kiss much of our sport at the collegiate level goodbye forever.
                              If college football doesn't survive Title IX will be moot.

Comment

Working...
                              X