Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gm
    Nobody here has any proof playing the games would directly endanger any lives.
    That's an odd perspective.
    There's also no proof that completely opening up the world to its previous condition right now would endanger any lives.
    But Science hypothesizes that the odds would be extraordinarily high that hundreds of thousands of people WOULD be put in harm's way if we did.
    Putting even only 25,000 people in a 100,000-person stadium before a vaccine is universally available AND used, would indeed endanger many lives, don't you think?
    Last edited by Atticus; 05-14-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

As I said, I have no PROOF, and nor does anyone else. We don't yet know enough about the mechanics of this disease to make sweeping statements based on proof.
      I'm obviously misunderstanding something here. No one has ANY proof of future events, only cause-and-effect relationships. There's no proof that anyone in the world will die tomorrow from ANYthing. But there is strong evidence to suggest that a little over 150,000 people WILL die tomorrow.
      The Covid numbers that we're dealing with here, strongly suggest that until such time as a vaccine is available (and universally used), lots of people will needlessly die if we stop the preventative measures currently taken.

Comment

• NHL commissioner: Cancelling season “not something I’m even contemplating”

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Tuesday dismissed notion the league will not be able to resume its season and award the Stanley Cup
        https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/...contemplating/

OK, let's see how that works out.

Comment

• MLS looking at playing all games in Orlando

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/05...ason-26-teams/

Comment

Nobody here has any proof playing the games would directly endanger any lives.

If they were worried 100% about saving lives, they wouldn't sell booze at games.
            That's a ridiculous thing to say...

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
              MLS looking at playing all games in Orlandohttps://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/05...ason-26-teams/
              The players, coaches and support staff, numbering more than 1,000, would live under quarantine at one of the large resorts near Disney World for an undetermined length of time, said those people, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the matter.
              I find it disingenuous that they' believe' that putting 1000 people together (i.e., not social-distancing) in an urban area won't ultimately result in infection from the outside in and then back out again.

Comment

• Meanwhile....this sounds idiotic....the equivalent of laugh tracks...and virtual fans...

Joe Buck Networks Considering Fake Crowd Noise ... During Nfl Broadcasts

"On top of that, they're looking at ways to put virtual fans in the stands so when you see a wide shot it looks like the stadium is jam-packed when in fact it will be empty."

Buck added on Twitter on Thursday, "It doesn’t have to be over the top."

"But, something has to be there," Buck said ... "Crowd reactions are an enormous piece of the TV puzzle. All reactions by a crowd are valuable and to be used -- as far as I know."

https://amp.tmz.com/2020/05/14/joe-b...mpression=true

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post

Business is business, SEC football is big business. Why,would anyone be surprised that a few lives not be an acceptable risk for him.
                  Anyone who likes elite-level college track and field should pray that the SEC and the other D1 college football cinferences comes back soon, lest we lose the 2021 season too.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    "Multiple reports indicate if the NHL is able to resume, though, it is focusing on going straight to a still-undetermined playoff format instead of finishing the regular season. Proposals include a tournament featuring the top 12 teams in each conference or maintaining a traditional 16-team format. "

Perfect opportunity to trim down the bloated post-season fields, in the NHL, NBA, MLB. But they won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      Anyone who likes elite-level college track and field should pray that the SEC and the other D1 college football cinferences comes back soon, lest we lose the 2021 season too.
                      Isn't that the same as praying that we have a vaccine this fall, or that the virus goes away on its own. Wishful thinking, but little else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Isn't that the same as praying that we have a vaccine this fall, or that the virus goes away on its own. Wishful thinking, but little else.
                        So you've already written off the 2021 track season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Indeed.......

Comment

• When do you folks think we'll see college track again or do you think it's gone for good?

By the way, the virus will eventually go away with or without a vaccine. The unknown is whether we get herd immunity by mass vaccination or by mass infection.
                            Last edited by jazzcyclist; 05-14-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Yes I think college track will be back....

I don't see the Pac 12 playing football this fall .....next spring things could be much better....

Comment

• Well, it begins. Akron cutting XC due to the pandemic:

https://www.flotrack.org/articles/67...-cross-country

Comment

Working...
                                X