Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has its own thread in Current Events

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
      Well, it begins. Akron cutting XC due to the pandemic:

https://www.flotrack.org/articles/67...-cross-country
      Also men's golf and women's tennis - as predicted. The first domino

Comment

• Meanwhile....Now some sports leaders are hedging about the status of football.

Classes Canceled at Cal State Colleges, but Football May Not Follow

Last week, Gov. Kate Brown of Oregon said there would be no large gatherings in the state through at least September, which raised the question about whether one of the most anticipated football games of the season — Ohio State’s visit to Oregon, scheduled for Sept. 12 — might be moved to another site.

“That’s not something we’ve discussed yet,” Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in an interview after Brown’s decision. “But these are the kinds of questions we’ll have to consider. We’re going to have to stay flexible.” (Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith said in a text message on Monday that it was too soon to comment on whether an alternative site was being considered.)

By Tuesday, the thought of such logistical pretzels over the coming weeks and months began to feel like folly. Imagine if the starting left tackle tested positive for Covid-19 the day before a game. What would happen to the rest of the offensive line that had been in meetings with him all week or the defensive ends that had been knocking heads with him in practice?

And for what purpose? Is the prospect of Oklahoma State Coach Mike Gundy firing up his charges supposed to provide inspiration for front-line workers? Would the sight of Clemson Coach Dabo Sweeney putting his troops through practice while wearing a mask be a comfort for the laid-off and the furloughed?

It’s not time for bread and circuses. College football can wait until it is safe to play. It may be a billion-dollar business, but it isn’t an essential one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/s...06529326813370

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Yes I think college track will be back....I don't see the Pac 12 playing football this fall .....next spring things could be much better....
          If - the vaccine is available. Otherwise, it's just a waiting game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            If - the vaccine is available. Otherwise, it's just a waiting game.
            Let me say once again that if there is not college football, there is no college track. You may call it "wishful thinking" but on this we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
              You may call it "wishful thinking" but on this we'll just have to agree to disagree.
              But in this case, I'm hoping YOU are right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                But in this case, I'm hoping YOU are right.
                Why would you hope I'm right? I hope you're right and that elite-level college track and field can exist without big-time college football. I just don't see how it can.

Comment

• Will see what happens.....nothing one can do about it.

Comment

• Joe Tessitore (the most recent MNF play by play guy) just mentioned that ESPN is going to multi-bouts per week of top ranked boxing in early June. No fans and as few as possible in the arena. We're getting back to the 1950's.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      Why would you hope I'm right? I hope you're right and that elite-level college track and field can exist without big-time college football. I just don't see how it can.
                      Sorry - poor wording. I hope FOOTBALL is back (tho I doubt it), so that T&F will be back (more likely).

Comment

• What kind of college track and field could exist without football and basketball to support it? Bus trips for dual and triangle meets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          What kind of college track and field could exist without football and basketball to support it? Bus trips for dual and triangle meets?
                          There are a boatload of schools that make zero dollars profit off football and basketball, supported instead by huge student service fees. That's where it makes sense to cut football and move on with the other sports that don't suck up as many resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I think that's correct. The idiots in the SEC, and guys like Dabo Swinney, who has the IQ of a gerbil, think football is more important than saving lives in a pandemic
                            Hey, hey. Come on Bambam. Let's not stoop down to attacking the poor little gerbil.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

There are a boatload of schools that make zero dollars profit off football and basketball, supported instead by huge student service fees. That's where it makes sense to cut football and move on with the other sports that don't suck up as many resources.
                              Exactly.....most schools and especially in FCS lose money in football....even accounting for alumni donations etc....track would be fine without football....
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-15-2020, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Hey, hey. Come on Bambam. Let's not stoop down to attacking the poor little gerbil.
                                Ok, ok. Reading on I see you've accepted your grave error of misjudgement and relieved the gerbil from the burden Dabo-ssociation with the meek and harmless doorknob.

Comment

Working...
                                X