Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There have been a number of comments about 'when the vaccine is available'; vaccines are not going to be 0/1. My brother is pretty high up in that industry and is on the board of some important companies within it (but not the big ones). His opinion is that a vaccine will be available by the end of the year or so, but this is not THE VACCINE. It will be taken by frontline people - soldiers, first responders, medical people involved with the virus and any direct way. It is likely that it will not be greatly effective and will risk side effects; it will not be for the general public and might not be available to them being too high a risk. It will likely be another year later that a VACCINE will be available, but it might be a long time. On the other hand this is promising news on some treatment that may even be prophylactic and is an entirely new type of drug. I think that it is synthetic and so, if I understand him on this, can be made in large quantities relatively quickly. By the way, another medical research person I know is afraid that a first vaccine that is a problem might cause a large portion of the population to shun taking a good one later, compromising herd immunity, especially since we do not know yet whether you can get this again, or if antibodies in a test indicate immunity.

What are the opinions of the various doctors, etc out there on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

Well, the captain of the high school football team was quickly arrested for the murder of his girlfriends parents who were friends of ours. They had been living at the house but had to go to an Airbnb because the mom was a doctor on the front lines and needed strict social distancing. The boyfriend and a friend thought that there would be a lot of cash in the house,...

Also, the coach of that team got in trouble for having a practice after things were closed down -- it was a one-time infraction and he saw the error of his ways (the team has only about 28 varsity players with a school of 2000 students and it does much better in XC, Swimming, and Soccer).
      Did the daughter play football as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        What? Who keeps a lot of cash around the house anyways these days.
        People who are different from you, apparently.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

I did not say that there was, just that they thought because the parents were 'rich' that they had -- but how in the world they thought that they would get away with it is beyond me.

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

I did not say that there was, just that they thought because the parents were 'rich' that they had -- but how in the world they thought that they would get away with it is beyond me.
            I know you didn't..... stupid crimes 101...boyfriend would be the first suspect....especially when he started spending it....
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-06-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

FWIW everyone I know personally is pretty well off and I don't know anyone who would keep large sums at home... a few hundred for emergencies but no huge amounts...

Comment

FWIW everyone I know personally is pretty well off and I don't know anyone who would keep large sums at home... a few hundred for emergencies but no huge amounts...
                Poorer people I know either don't trust banks or are not able to get bank accounts, so their cash is kept at home. More common than one would think.

Comment

Poorer people I know either don't trust banks or are not able to get bank accounts, so their cash is kept at home. More common than one would think.
                  Yes I am aware of that....but we are talking about a doctor... not the type to keep big sums at home. At least none I ever knew...

Comment

A more modern version of those kind of fears are folks like me that are afraid of banking online out of concern about hackers. So I still get paper bank statements, use the telephone 800 number to check my balance, and do deposits at the ATM.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

MLB Players End Negotiations, Dare League to Impose Season: ‘Tell Us When and Where’

Owners and the players’ union have been unable to figure out how to share the financial cost of playing a season without fans in attendance

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mlb-pla....co/xKP05Ndx3M

Comment

Meanwhile....

MLB Players End Negotiations, Dare League to Impose Season: ‘Tell Us When and Where’

Owners and the players’ union have been unable to figure out how to share the financial cost of playing a season without fans in attendance

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mlb-pla....co/xKP05Ndx3M
                        Manfred said today he's not confident of any games being played. This after saying that there was a 100% chance there would be a season all the way back last Wednesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                          Manfred said . . .
                          I can never see that name without being reminded that I was blinded by the light of Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Continue . . .

Comment

• It looks gloomy indeed....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...nt-2020-season

Comment

• I don't think many will care....

This is... not a great trendline for baseball.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSilve...43383476043778

Comment

• AP: MLB letter obtained by The Associated Press says several players and staff have tested positive for COVID-19

Comment

Working...
                                X