Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

A more modern version of those kind of fears are folks like me that are afraid of banking online out of concern about hackers. So I still get paper bank statements, use the telephone 800 number to check my balance, and do deposits at the ATM.
    Yeah, I'm sort of the same way. The only thing I do online is look at my statements.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Manfred said today he's not confident of any games being played. This after saying that there was a 100% chance there would be a season all the way back last Wednesday.
      From Twitter:

>>@James_Holzhauer

Rob Manfred is the 2020 of sports commissioners<<

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

I can never see that name without being reminded that I was blinded by the light of Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Continue . . .
        The MLB Commissioner is certainly no Quinn the Mighty Eskimo ....

Comment

• I predict that MLB will finally start a 54-game season that goes 9-weeks starting in late July and finishing the regular season on time September 27th. Teams will play divisional opponents 9 games each and have 18 inter-league games.

With the NBA and NHL also starting up in late July, and NFL pre-season, we will suddenly have a busy sports schedule on August television.
          Last edited by Halfmiler2; 06-16-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

The MLB Commissioner is certainly no Quinn the Mighty Eskimo ....
            beat me to it.

Comment

• The U.S. Open (the biggest tennis event in the USA) will be held in NYC beginning August 31st but without fans in the stands.

Comment

• I have a silly question. I just read that the two sides (union vs. owners) in MLB can't agree to terms, so the players said, let's just play now.
                How do you do that with no agreement in place in a situation that is unprecedented? I must be missing something obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

beat me to it.
                  The posts made me look up the song on Wikipedia. Dylan wrote it in 1967 but Manfred Mann recorded it before he did. There are two theories about The Mighty Quinn. One is that it is Dylan’s tribute to Anthony Quinn who played an Intuit in a little known 1960 film. The other is that it is a tribute to an uncredited film editor named Quinn who in 1967 helped Dylan edit a documentary including a Dylan live performance.

Comment

The posts made me look up the song on Wikipedia. Dylan wrote it in 1967 but Manfred Mann recorded it before he did. There are two theories about The Mighty Quinn. One is that it is Dylan’s tribute to Anthony Quinn who played an Intuit in a little known 1960 film. The other is that it is a tribute to an uncredited film editor named Quinn who in 1967 helped Dylan edit a documentary including a Dylan live performance.
                    Was he an eskimo?

Comment

... One is that it is Dylan’s tribute to Anthony Quinn who played an Intuit in a little known 1960 film. ...
                      Seen it many times: The Savage Innocents. Terrific flic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        I have a silly question. I just read that the two sides (union vs. owners) in MLB can't agree to terms, so the players said, let's just play now.
                        How do you do that with no agreement in place in a situation that is unprecedented? I must be missing something obvious.
                        There was an agreement back in March that said if they could not negotiate other terms, MLB had the right to institute a "season" of their own designated length as long as the players were paid a full pro-rata share of their salaries. MLB and the MLBPA have been negotiating for a longer season (up to 106 games) with the players paid less than pro-rata (80% or 70%) because of the lack of income from fans in the stands. As that has not panned out they will default back to the March agreement.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

There was an agreement back in March that said if they could not negotiate other terms, MLB had the right to institute a "season" of their own designated length as long as the players were paid a full pro-rata share of their salaries. MLB and the MLBPA have been negotiating for a longer season (up to 106 games) with the players paid less than pro-rata (80% or 70%) because of the lack of income from fans in the stands. As that has not panned out they will default back to the March agreement.
                          Little more complicated than that...

The chance that there will be no season increased substantially on Monday, when the commissioner's office told the players' association that it will not proceed with a schedule unless the union waives its right to claim that management violated a March agreement between the feuding sides, a source told ESPN, confirming a report by the Los Angeles Times.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...nt-2020-season

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ly-labor-fight
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-16-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• First, the union played its final card, telling MLB, in a statement from chief Tony Clark: “It’s time to get back to work. Tell us when and where.”

The union’s declaration, however, came with an implied caveat: That unilateral action would spark a union grievance accusing MLB of failing to meet its obligation to play as many games as possible.

But there are also some in the industry who think there are at least a handful of owners who never wanted to play at all in 2020, at least not if players continue to insist — as they have since the beginning of these talks and will until their end — on receiving full, prorated salaries. Even at 48 games at those terms, player salaries would cost owners more than $1 billion, with MLB projecting losses of $640,000 per game played without fans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...e-2020-season/
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-17-2020, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• If they are going to finish the regular season on time (9/27) and the playoffs by the end of October, the most games they could play is down to about 70 to 74 games. They need about 4 weeks before opening day. A week for travel and assembling the team and three weeks of training.

If they cannot agree soon, I’d predict a 54 game season which is exactly 1/3 of a regular season - 9-Weeks starting 7/27 and ending 9/27.

The players are more willing to push the back the regular season into October and playoffs into November, but the problem is that that could be right into a second wave of the coronavirus.
                              Last edited by Halfmiler2; 06-17-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Aston Villa and Sheffield United played to a 0-0 draw....a bit surreal without the crowds but I got use to it. Sheffield United got screwed on a no goal call.

Comment

Working...
                                X