Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To me it's like déjà vu over and over again. Believe I was the 1st on this board to suffer from it because I had 2020 Indian Wells tickets that were cancelled, about 3-4 days before NCAA indoors was dumped. Been since joined in disappointment by a host of others on this board.
    Last edited by J Rorick; 07-26-2020, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• KC Chiefs O lineman Laurent-Duverney (the only medical school graduate in the NFL) is opting out of the season. Prefers to take risks continuing to care for patients. Class act, this guy.
      https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...d-19-pandemic/

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
        To me it's like déjà vu over and over again. Believe I was the 1st on this board to suffer from it because I had 2020 Indian Wells tickets that were cancelled, about 3-4 days before NCAA indoors was dumped. Been since joined in disappointment by a host of others on this board.
        I think i "suffered" first. I had to cancel my arrangements for the World Indoor Championships in Nanjing, which I believe were canceled in January. So instead, I made arrangements to go to the NCAA indoors, that same weekend. I was supposed to travel the day before the meet began in Albuquerque, but got up that morning and decided not to do it. Fortunately, under the circumstances, both the airline and the hotel allowed me to cancel without a penalty. And of course I was very glad I did that when I found out that the meet was canceled on the day it was to have begun. A lot of teams, and I suspect some fans, made that trip in vain.

Since then, I canceled my trips to the Penn Relays, the NCAA outdoors, the Olympic trials and the Olympic Games. I have no travel plans right now. Like so many people, traveling is a matter of wait-and-see. There are few things I hate more than missing big track meets, but getting sick and dying are on that short list.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
          I have no travel plans right now. Like so many people, traveling is a matter of wait-and-see.
          Wise.
          I have my spot with TFN for the Eugene WCs, now in 2022. Or will it be 2024 Paris or 2028 LA?

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
            To me it's like déjà vu over and over again. Believe I was the 1st on this board to suffer from it because I had 2020 Indian Wells tickets that were cancelled, about 3-4 days before NCAA indoors was dumped. Been since joined in disappointment by a host of others on this board.
            My wife (who was a college tennis player) goes with her best friend to the U.S. Open every Labor Day. Not this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post

I think i "suffered" first. I had to cancel my arrangements for the World Indoor Championships in Nanjing, which I believe were canceled in January.
              I stand corrected. My memory is foggy after all these months, but I do now recall your sad saga.

Comment

• Reds infielder Matt Davidson tests positive for COVID-19 after playing in season opener

Davidson was in the Reds’ lineup during their season-opening 7-1 victory against the Detroit Tigers on Friday. He served as the designated hitter and went hitless in two at-bats before being removed from the game.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reds-player...194450766.html

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Marlins delay return to Miami after apparent coronavirus outbreak among players

The Miami Marlins on Sunday delayed their departure from Philadelphia by a day and now will fly home to Miami only hours before their home opener Monday amid concerns over a novel coronavirus outbreak among several members of their team.

The Marlins reportedly had three players receive word of positive tests Sunday morning, including pitcher Jose Urena, who was scratched from his scheduled start Sunday and placed on the injured list for undisclosed reasons. Per Major League Baseball guidelines, the Marlins have not revealed the names of players who have tested positive. According to reports, first baseman Garrett Cooper and outfielder Harold Ramirez were the others; catcher Jorge Alfaro previously had tested positive and was placed on the injured list Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...among-players/

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Chicago Tribune writer...

Teddy Greenstein: College football is 'hanging by a thread.' 5 thoughts on how it got here and where it's headed.

But two months ago the Big Ten canceled media days, and now the whole season is in jeopardy. How much so?

"Hanging by a thread," one knowledgeable source said.

The source participates in high-level conference calls with Dr. Chris Kratochvil, who chairs the Big Ten's task force on infectious disease. An associate vice president at Nebraska's medical center, Kratochvil is the conference's most trusted medical adviser.

Based on the latest information from Kratochvil, what is the percentage chance we will see Big Ten football this fall?

"I'll say 15%," the source replied.

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/sport...726569fa0.html
                    I just saw a couple of other articles on the college football situation. Apparently, the entire Michigan State football team is in quarantine.

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefo...s-answers.html

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/2...ontact-tracing

Comment

• Ken Goe....

The latest indication that attempting to play college football season this fall is unrealistic came Friday when Michigan State announced its entire team is in quarantine after two staff members and one athlete tested positive for coronavirus.

The problem isn’t the number of positives. It’s the number of people who came in contact with people who are positive.

What happens if this occurs during the season? What if several players test positive shortly after a game, and two programs suddenly have contact-tracing headaches?

In Oregon, meanwhile, The O’s James Crepea reports even NCAA-approved preseason walkthroughs for football teams conflict with Oregon Health Authority guidelines.

Which leads to honest questions about player safety. In this video, former UO player Geoff Schwartz wonders aloud whether it’s worth risking the health of college athletes so U.S. fans can get their college football fix. (NBCSN)

I think most people not wearing blinders would conclude it is not.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Orioles-Marlins game in Miami has been postponed after multiple @Marlins
                        players test positive for #Covid_19

https://mobile.twitter.com/JesseRodr...48959381925888

Comment

• That didn't last long....

BREAKING: Major League Baseball to hold an emergency meeting today after 14 Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19 following their weekend series with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Ask Boswell: NFL, MLB, NBA and Washington sports

Cancel the MLB season –probably by the end of this week.

Forget about the NFL season –it’s never going to happen.

The idea of attempting a college football season –putting amateur athletes at risk-- is obscenely unthinkable.

Within days, or a couple of weeks, we may also find out whether it is feasible for the NBA, in its Florida bubble, or the NHL, playing in Canada, to finish a truncated season and crown a champion.

https://live.washingtonpost.com/ask-...ge%2Fstory-ans

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              That didn't last long....

BREAKING: Major League Baseball to hold an emergency meeting today after 14 Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19 following their weekend series with the Philadelphia Phillies.
                              a team based in Florida? I'm shocked, shocked.......

Comment

• Timely musings by Jeff Hollobaugh on home page on the future of the NCAA. Chilling thought: the big D1 football programs leave the NCAA and form their own cartel.
                                What would remain would be, essentially, club sports. I think T&F would survive, but not as the juggernaut farm team for our pros. We'd still win some medals, but instead of Project 30, it might have to be Project 15.

Comment

Working...
                                X