Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear....

https://theathletic.com/1954316/2020....co/RFGOYer32L

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      Something tells me that most sane athlete's mentalities will be paying attention . . .

Comment

• Now would be a good time to look back at this video. To paraphrase an old adage, "Out of the Mouths of Athletes".

https://twitter.com/i/status/1279932872875360256

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

Something tells me that most sane athlete's mentalities will be paying attention . . .
          Something tells me that this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The Marlins suffering in the early season may cause the other 29 teams to be careful and do what they have to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            Now would be a good time to look back at this video. To paraphrase an old adage, "Out of the Mouths of Athletes".

https://twitter.com/i/status/1279932872875360256
            Do anti-maskers really care? I expect responses like...

"I don't care if they can play baseball. My freedom is more important."
            "Those players are young and healthy. They won't die even if they get the virus."
            "It's just another flu."

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Something tells me that this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The Marlins suffering in the early season may cause the other 29 teams to be careful and do what they have to do.
              That's one way to look at it....

"There's very little difference between the way the virus spreads in young baseball players, & how it is going to spread in high schools....We're about to have a disaster on top of a disaster. "

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnBerma...71897226379265

Comment

• Meanwhile....

"We want sports. We don't need sports," says Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Costas as the MLB postpones three games after an outbreak. "I hope they can play baseball but there are legitimate issues here."

https://mobile.twitter.com/CuomoPrim...26101768056835

Comment

We don't need sports," says Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Costas
                  Speak for yerseff, Bobby Boy!
                  As historians look back at the Covid Years (sic), the psychological toll will be examined.and yes, there are far worse deleterious effects, but the loss of our avocational passions is a thing, even as we can dismiss it as 'First World Problems'.
                  Nor am I suggesting that we should 'open up' sports right now . . . we should not.

Comment

• I agree with Costas...I love sports....not baseball much anymore....but when the Premier League stopped that was sad but hardly essentially...life went on...and pleasant when it came back...pro football is great...but if isn't on this fall, which I don't believe it will, I'll just other things on Sundays.

Costas is obviously a big sports fan but has a sense of what is important.

The Olympics are supposed to be on now. And hardly anyone noticed they are not. The psychological void is mainly from overpaid college football coaches...
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-28-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• MLB just postponed all Marlin games until Monday and all Philly games until Friday.

The Marlins four games with The Orioles this week which probably do not have playoff implications. Their three weekend games hosting the Nationals this weekend do - but the Nationals are scheduled to visit Miami again later in the season and could play doubleheaders.

Meanwhile, the Phillies and Yankees are not scheduled to play again later in the season and have four games to makeup.

My hunch is that MLB will not delay the playoffs by having teams make up games after the scheduled last day of the season unless it affects the 8th and 9th seeds which determines if a team is in or out of the season. Of course, that assumes we make it to the end of the season.

Meanwhile, Governor Cuomo offered to create a bubble in NY for MLB
                      Last edited by Halfmiler2; 07-28-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

A. I agree with Costas...I love sports....not baseball much anymore....but when the Premier League stopped that was sad but hardly essentially...life went on...and pleasant when it came back...pro football is great...but if isn't on this fall, which I don't believe it will, I'll just other things on Sundays.
                        B. Costas is obviously a big sports fan but has a sense of what is important.
                        C. The Olympics are supposed to be on now. And hardly anyone noticed they are not. The psychological void is mainly from overpaid college football coaches...
                        A. Then you're not a big enough fan!
                        B. Of course health supersedes sports.
                        C, We saw that coming.

B. above requires further clarification - When we lose something we are used to and 'depend' upon for our 'pursuit of happiness', as many here feel about T&F (or NFL or FIFA, etc.), that loss 'hurts' and leaves a void in our lives. That void often introduces a stress into our lives that we can't acutely feel, but it is a 'background noise' that interferes with not only our lives, but our mental state. This Quarantine is inducing these kinds of stressors into our lives and while we can 'cope' with it, it is indeed causing us discomfiture,

As I often do, I am over-analyzing a pretty simple 'problem', but without any kind of analysis we fly in the blind, and I have found that to be rough going for almost all of us.

Comment

• As a Mets fan, I blame Derrick Jeter for everything. :-)

Comment

Meanwhile....

"We want sports. We don't need sports," says Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Costas as the MLB postpones three games after an outbreak. "I hope they can play baseball but there are legitimate issues here."

https://mobile.twitter.com/CuomoPrim...26101768056835
                            Obviously, health is more important than sports. What else is more important than sports?

Congregating in a place of worship? (I cannot comment on this, since I am not religious.)
                            Going to bars and clubs? (I don't go there anyway.)
                            Having a house party?
                            Freedom of not wearing masks and not washing hands? (Seems ridiculous to me.)

Comment

As a Mets fan, I blame Derrick Jeter for everything. :-)
                              Exactly....all his fault...actually being a Cubs fan I blame the Mets too.

Comment

As a Mets fan, I blame Derrick Jeter for everything. :-)
                                Well, Derek is the CEO of the Marlins, so he probably deserves at least a tiny share of the blame.

Comment

Working...
                                X