Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source: #Pac12 presidents have a previously scheduled meeting for Tuesday. Unknown if they will vote on season. IMO they won't shut down if Big Ten hasn't, but situation obviously fluid.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wilnerhot...92520848384000

Comment

• The MAC is nowhere near Power 5, so their choice has no real bearing on the decisions of the majors.

Comment

• It's not dead until the SEC calls it quits.
        • SEC would look idiotic being the only ones playing.
          Recent history suggests they're not worried about other people's opinions.
        The SEC coaches will go down kicking and screaming, but it is starting to look they will indeed go down.

Comment

• SI ....

How Northern Illinois Led a MAC Shutdown—And May Have Triggered a National Reckoning

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020...mpression=true

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
            It's not dead until the SEC calls it quits.
            Saw a quote the other day that at one of the SEC meetings one of the coaches said it was time "to get out there and start swapping spit." And these doorknob brains are highly respected in that area of the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Saw a quote the other day that at one of the SEC meetings one of the coaches said it was time "to get out there and start swapping spit." And these doorknob brains are highly respected in that area of the country.
              Yes bizarre....anyways when the SEC is the last hold out I suspect they will fold...this week it will most likely happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Yes bizarre....anyways when the SEC is the last hold out I suspect they will fold...this week it will most likely happen.
                Yes, if the SEC folds, everything folds. I just think there could be a regional holdout. And they could play by themselves with a conference-only schedule.

And maybe Dabo could schedule a playoff game with the SEC champion. Bet TV would show it.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

Yes, if the SEC folds, everything folds. I just think there could be a regional holdout. And they could play by themselves with a conference-only schedule.

And maybe Dabo could schedule a playoff game with the SEC champion. Bet TV would show it.
                  Guarantee TV would show it

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Column: With Big Ten officials on the verge of shutting down college football, the sport needs a miracle. And fast.

College football makes the impossible possible week after week. But now it’s up against a relentless, unsentimental opponent. COVID-19 has infected nearly 5 million Americans and claimed more than 160,000 of our citizens.

It is so contagious, a single East Lansing, Mich., bar yielded an outbreak of more than 100 cases in June. And it can be so damaging the mother of Indiana football player Brady Feeney described a coronavirus battle that was “14 days of hell” and, she fears, brings the the potential for heart issues.

That Facebook post is part of why Big Ten football is on the brink of being canceled. It offered a reality check to the presidents, chancellors, athletic directors and coaches who recited stats on low hospitalization rates for 18-23 year-olds and say: We can do this.

But lately they’re asking themselves: WHAT ARE WE DOING?

Even when the Big Ten released its schedule last week, you could tell Commissioner Kevin Warren’s heart was not into it.

After he said the “health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes is at the top of our list,” I asked why, then, would the Big Ten attempt to play a sport that is the antithesis of social distancing?

With fall football sinking like the Titanic, the Big Ten will follow the Mid-American Conference and explore spring football. I don’t see it. Neither does a Big Ten source who texted simply: “If can’t play football in fall, no spring.”

You cannot — or at least should not — ask non-salaried players to suit up twice in one calendar year.

There’s no way players aspiring to be a first-round or even second-day NFL draft picks would suit up. You think Ohio State should have to play Michigan without perhaps its seven best players?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...mpression=true
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-09-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Well, I guess I was wrong in the OP, because a major sporting event, the PGA Golf Championship, will conclude today in San Francisco. Technically I was proven wrong on June 20 when the truncated Belmont Stakes took place, but I don't know if horse racing folks count that race as being legitimate due to the shortened course. Why did they shorten the course anyway?

Comment

• At the Heart of It: Cardiac Inflammation the Next Virus Hurdle for College Leaders

Of all the hurdles impeding a 2020 college football season, there is one roadblock that has gone mostly overshadowed—the heart.

Dr. Matthew Martinez has studied so many images of a beating heart that he couldn’t possibly count them. Maybe 500,000. Maybe 1 million. As a non-invasive cardiologist, his job revolves around the constant evaluation of pictures of the heart.

He knows what a strong, healthy heart looks like. He knows what a poor, struggling heart looks like. And he knows what a heart looks like after COVID-19’s tentacles have reached the most vital organ in the human body. “This virus,” he says, “seems to have an affinity for causing damage to the heart.”

In a small percentage of infected patients, COVID-19 leaves behind troubling scars in the throbbing muscle within their chests, known as myocarditis. The virus directly invades the heart muscle, weakening and damaging its cells, through blood clots and inflammatory responses to viral infection. Earlier during the pandemic, doctors only associated the condition with severe and, oftentimes, hospitalized COVID victims, usually elderly patients or those with underlying health problems.

Lately, physicians are identifying the condition in young, healthy Americans — including athletes. “The last month or two, even asymptomatic young people are developing myocardial injury,” Martinez says.

Of all the hurdles impeding a 2020 college football season, there is one roadblock that has gone mostly overshadowed, buried beneath the other more prominent obstacles, such as testing, travel, a bubble-less college campus and quarantine requirements. That hurdle? The heart.

“That’s what has been the final straw,” says a team doctor at a prominent college football program. “The commissioners are finally figuring it all out. The commissioners are going, ‘Oh my gosh!’ And the doctors are like, ‘Yeah...’”

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020...mpression=true

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                          Well, I...Technically I was proven wrong on June 20 when the truncated Belmont Stakes took place, but I don't know if horse racing folks count that race as being legitimate due to the shortened course. Why did they shorten the course anyway?
                          from NBC's lead-in article:

<<While usually the longest of the three at 1 ½ miles, the Belmont has been shortened to 1 1/8 miles for 2020 since 3-year-olds haven’t been able to build stamina with the customary racing calendar this spring.>>

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                            Well, I guess I was wrong in the OP, because a major sporting event, the PGA Golf Championship, will conclude today in San Francisco. Technically I was proven wrong on June 20 when the truncated Belmont Stakes took place, but I don't know if horse racing folks count that race as being legitimate due to the shortened course. Why did they shorten the course anyway?
                            I asked Tim Layden that question, who writes about horse racing a lot, and he said he thought the trainers felt the horses weren't ready yet for 1 1/2 miles

Comment

the horses weren't ready yet for 1 1/2 miles
                              They're only 3 years old, frevinsakes!

Comment

I asked Tim Layden that question, who writes about horse racing a lot, and he said he thought the trainers felt the horses weren't ready yet for 1 1/2 miles
                                I wonder why the jockeys couldn't just pace the horses according to their fitness?

Comment

Working...
                                X