Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
    I saw something about that on world o meter. I’d have to go back and look, but aren’t the SEC states clear of the disease?
    Yup, clear as bell. No new records of cases or deaths since this morning!

Comment

• I'm an Ohio State fan, but it will be so effin hilarious if the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 go forward, have no covid-related problems, and proceed all the way to the BCS championship game, while the Big 10 teams are left stewing on the sideline, eternally pissed(especially OSU, heavy favorites to be in the championship game this year, looking for revenge on Clemson)
      There are no strings on me

Comment

• Originally posted by guru View Post
        I'm an Ohio State fan, but it will be so effin hilarious if the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 go forward, have no covid-related problems, and proceed all the way to the BCS championship game, while the Big 10 teams are left stewing on the sideline, eternally pissed(especially OSU, heavy favorites to be in the championship game this year, looking for revenge on Clemson)
        Do you believe the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 will all be able to play?

Comment

it will be so effin hilarious if the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 go forward, have no covid-related problems
          Sorry you won't have the chance to be so amused.
          I can't imagine a reality where there WON'T be consequences. Just like the imminent reopening of so many nation-wide schools.
          We had a surge in April, a much bigger one in July, and I have to think the September one will be even bigger. Sure hope I'm wrong!

Comment

. . . but it will be so effin hilarious . . .
            Not much about this whole virus thing will be effin hilarious, even if they do manage to bubble-boy a bunch of cheap tackling dummies for the amusement of the masses . . .

Comment

I'm an Ohio State fan, but it will be so effin hilarious if the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 go forward, have no covid-related problems, and proceed all the way to the BCS championship game, while the Big 10 teams are left stewing on the sideline, eternally pissed(especially OSU, heavy favorites to be in the championship game this year, looking for revenge on Clemson)
              Isn't this a bit like laughing hysterically before the comedian hits the stage?

Comment

• The Big 10's rookie commish taking serious heat for what many believe was a premature decision. If the other Power 5s dont fall in line that heat will be turned up about 5000 degrees.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-te...-lead-the-b1g/

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Sorry you won't have the chance to be so amused.
                  I can't imagine a reality where there WON'T be consequences.

They've managed it pretty well for months now in practice. There's no reason to think that will change if/when games commence, considering the financial resources at their disposal to make sure players are tested and protocols are followed when positives do arise.

And make no mistake - you can bet programs like Clemson and Alabama know they have an opportunity to set Ohio State and it's 2nd year coach back significantly in recruiting and exposure.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ay/3357374001/

Comment

• We'll see how it goes. I wouldn't bet it going well...

Comment

• NCAA medical advisers urge focus on pandemic over fall sports

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...DDzuLKk_4LpSpw

""I feel like the Titanic. We have hit the iceberg, and we're trying to make decisions of what time should we have the band play," said Del Rio, who serves on an NCAA COVID-19 advisory panel."

Comment

• Dabo says absence of Big 10/PAC 12 will not diminish value of BCS championship

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rt-value-title

Easy for him to say as he just lost the biggest obstacle to his 3rd title LOL

Comment

The Big 10's rookie commish taking serious heat for what many believe was a premature decision. If the other Power 5s dont fall in line that heat will be turned up about 5000 degrees.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-te...-lead-the-b1g/
                          Unless, of course, there's a major outbreak. Criticism? It will be a lot more than criticism that will worry the schools and conferences. They'd better be right.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Unless, of course, there's a major outbreak. Criticism? It will be a lot more than criticism that will worry the schools and conferences. They'd better be right.
                            Indeed, as I posted earlier. From SI..it wouldn't even take a major outbreak.

But for those pressing forward to play, heed one warning: The lawyers will be circling. Not the ones counseling conferences to avoid trifling with players’ health, but the ones who will be doing the suing if, God forbid, a player dies, has long-term damage or career-threatening complications. In an email to Sports Illustrated, prominent college sports attorney Tom Mars offered this chilling view of what the Big 12, ACC and SEC could be getting into:

“Whatever conference(s) decides to play football this fall will be taking a ridiculously high risk they may soon regret. I know and have talked with some of the best plaintiff’s lawyers in the country this week, and they’re praying the SEC, Big 12 and/or the ACC are greedy enough to stay the course. If things go sideways, the plaintiff’s Bar will immediately get their hands on the internal financial analyses of the schools (a FOIA layup), get the conference financials through the discovery process, and then just stand in front of the jurors and point to the conferences that decided not to risk the health of their student-athletes. Good Lord, I’d hate to be the lawyers defending those cases.”

And the attorneys lining up to represent plaintiffs? “These are lawyers who’ve already slain bigger dragons than the SEC, and they can afford to finance the most expensive litigation on the planet. As a coalition, they’d be the legal equivalent of the Death Star.”

Sleep well, Big 12, ACC and SEC leaders.

Comment

They've managed it pretty well for months now in practice. There's no reason to think that will change if/when games commence, considering the financial resources at their disposal to make sure players are tested and protocols are followed when positives do arise.
                              But they have done this without students on campus. I can't believe that the circumstances of having students on campus won't change the situation significantly.

Comment

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post

But they have done this without students on campus. I can't believe that the circumstances of having students on campus won't change the situation significantly.
                                Maybe. But it's a concern that can be easily circumvented by moving the athletes to all online learning(if the school isnt planning to do that for everyone). They already have significant tutor resources.
                                Last edited by guru; 08-13-2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X