Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by donley2 View Post

But they have done this without students on campus. I can't believe that the circumstances of having students on campus won't change the situation significantly.
    Not even that ....without a bubble when the schools start traveling and interacting with other schools who aren't testing anything can happen. Look at baseball....

Comment

• Anyways if you want to post a random blogger....how about this guy.

Notre Dame icon Joe Montana has his doubts about whether football can be played safely, especially in college

Montana has his doubts, especially about the college game.

“I understand the revenue (component), obviously,” he said. “But what if you lose a couple of guys? How much revenue do you lose then?

“Of course the players want to play, but the decision has to be taken out of their hands. I don’t know how you keep ‘em safe.”

Football cannot be played without large gatherings (meetings) in close quarters and without players touching and breathing on one another.

Add in the “college” factor, and as Montana put it: “It’s a full campus, a lot of kids, and once they leave practice, they mix back in. Sure they can test, but who else has been exposed?”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...mpression=true

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Not even that ....without a bubble when the schools start traveling and interacting with other schools who aren't testing anything can happen. Look at baseball....
        What Power 5, err, 3 teams are not testing? The only interacting will be on the field, and as long as those personnel are tested at least once a week there shouldnt be any more risk than what has existed the last couple of months in practice.

As for MLB they've done remarkably well, with just 0.3% of tests returning positives. Small consolation if you're a Cardinals fan but still, pretty amazing all things considered.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

• Meanwhile....

AZ prez Robert Robbins, a heart surgeon & ex chair Cardiothoracic Surgery at Stanford, on myocarditis: "We just don't know in asymptomatic, elite athletes what the prevalence or incidence is"

The hardest, easiest call: UA president Robert C. Robbins says Pac-12 did the right thing

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...mpression=true

Comment

• That's all well and good(though the doctor quoted in the article calls the chance of an adverse event happening to an otherwise healthy young athlete to be “infinitesimally small”) but shutting down football does not eliminate the risk that those athletes will contract covid. The question at hand is does playing football(or any other sport) INCREASE the chances that any given student-athlete will contract the disease? Or are the chances actually decreased, assuming regular testing and structured daily activities?

Comment

• Powerful message from Tammy Walker, the widow of former #Northwestern coach Randy Walker, who died two years after being diagnosed with myocarditis, the condition showing up in some who have been infected by COVID-19.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg

Comment

• CFB coaches telling me contact tracing restrictions were their single biggest obstacle to holding a season. #Illinois AD Josh Whitman just now: "If one of those people test positive, it’s inevitable you have many other people put on the shelf, even if they test negative."

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNRitte...28728531210241

Comment

• Lemme see now... if we add up a unique bubble existence for D! football teams with specialized medical care (including frequent covid testing not available to you or me or the rest of the student body) and add in coach Saban's comment that "I want to play for the players’ sake, the value they can create for themselves... We act like these guys can’t get this unless they play football. They can get it anywhere, whether they’re in a bar or just hanging out.” the total picture sort of explodes the quaint notion that these are" student athletes". More like farm team players for the NFL who otherwise would be wasted at the corner bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by guru View Post
                    I'm an Ohio State fan, but it will be so effin hilarious if the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 go forward, have no covid-related problems, and proceed all the way to the BCS championship game, while the Big 10 teams are left stewing on the sideline, eternally pissed(especially OSU, heavy favorites to be in the championship game this year, looking for revenge on Clemson)
                    I'm glad to see you weighing in on college football again. You were M.I.A. throughout the playoffs last year and I was beginning to think we'd never see you discussing this topic again. I look forward to you sharing your wisdom and insight, especially when it comes to evaluating college quarterbacks. 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      You were M.I.A. throughout the playoffs last year and I was beginning to think we'd never see you discussing this topic again.

The board moderator told me to take a "time out" from the topic, so I did.

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...12#post1543712

Comment

• Originally posted by guru View Post

The board moderator told me to take a "time out" from the topic, so I did.

https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...12#post1543712
                        I did no such thing! The thread was getting too contentious and my "this is enough" moment coincidentally came after a post you made. You weren't personally cited in any way.

Comment

• The inside story of college football's wildest week ever

Both the ACC and SEC forge on, but not without challenges. Thursday was especially rocky in the ACC, as Syracuse players opted out of their third practice because of COVID-19 concerns, Pitt halted practice because several players showed COVID-19 symptoms and three Florida State wide receivers spoke out about possible communication issues regarding testing for the virus.

"We're going to continue monitoring and if we see things changing, we're ready to change and be adaptive," Miami president Julio Frenk said. "We're not locked into a rigid decision making frame."

There are looming warnings from the NCAA's top medical officials and others about what could come.

Oregon State president F. King Alexander, who previously held the same role at LSU, spoke to The Oregonian about the different approaches toward the season from the Pac-12 and the SEC.

Asked what the Pac-12 sees that the SEC doesn't, Alexander told the newspaper, "I think, probably, reality."

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...mpression=true

Comment

• Colleges pressing on with fall sports during COVID-19 feels like ‘we have hit the iceberg and we’re (deciding) what time the band plays’

Infectious disease experts advising the NCAA sounded a cautionary note for the conferences proceeding with fall sports during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We have a serious problem,” said Dr. Carlos del Rio, a fellow with the Infectious Diseases Society of America and an associate dean at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta. “I feel like the Titanic. We have hit the iceberg and we’re trying to make decisions of what time the band plays.”

Whether college sports can resume this winter or whether football can take place in the spring could be determined by local infection rates and health care infrastructure. Del Rio said the rate for a safe return in a state or region should be somewhere between five and 10 cases per 100,000 people.

He pointed to Georgia’s troubling rate of 30 cases per 100,000 people.

“I work in hospitals. I see how we’re getting overwhelmed,” del Rio said. “In the state of Georgia, 98% of hospital beds and 97% of ICUs are at capacity. We don’t have a lot of capacity to take care of people if you were to have an outbreak bigger than what we have because you have some sports event or college event. You would be in a very serious situation, and I don’t want to be there. My advice is we hold off and we control this virus.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...mpression=true

Comment

• Spoke to a Group of Five AD today. He said it would be more expensive for his school to play than not play because of reduced revenues and increased costs. (Related to testing and other COVID measures). It’d be $1.5 million loss to cancel. It’d be $2.2 million loss to play.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteThame...83713854332934

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                Spoke to a Group of Five AD today. He said it would be more expensive for his school to play than not play because of reduced revenues and increased costs. (Related to testing and other COVID measures). It’d be $1.5 million loss to cancel. It’d be $2.2 million loss to play.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeteThame...83713854332934
                                Also seems to discount potential legal liability factored into the cost.

As an aside, reading the comments from the twitter timeline, is there any subject where there isn't some conspiracy theory mentioned?

Comment

Working...
                                X