Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay Rays blind radio broadcaster (who knew?) finds it more challenging without the crowd noise.

He Calls Baseball Games by Ear. Without Fans, His Job Is a Lot Harder.

Enrique Oliu, a blind radio broadcaster for the Tampa Bay Rays, relies on crowd noise and on-field sounds to do his job. This season, he’s had to adjust more than anyone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/11/s...oadcaster.html

Comment

• What? That's incredible.

Of course it might be a plus since the game is so incredibly dull these days....
      Conor Dary
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-12-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
        1. If he's suspended for even a short time, that could prevent him from competing at French Open, which starts 3 weeks from today.

2. As for losing all ranking points from U.S. Open, I'm sure he will lose the points for this year's tournament. But its unclear whether he would lose last year's 180 points. They have a special COVID-19 revamping of the rankings, which gives players the higher point total of the 2 years, for all tournaments up to the 2021 Indian Wells.
        1. He's entered at Rome, so evidently there was no suspension.

2. Rankings after U.S. Open just came out. Novak retained his 180 points from 2019, because it's higher than the 0 points he got for 2020. Lucky, although he'd still be #1 by quite a bit
        even without any U.S. Open points.

Comment

• Five players out of French Open qualifying due to COVID-19

Five players have been withdrawn from the French Open qualifying tournament after two players and a coach tested positive for COVID-19, organisers have said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/five-player...032158790.html

Comment

• NFL Hits 3 Coaches And Teams With Large Fines For Not Wearing Face Masks

The NFL has fined several head coaches $100,000 for not wearing face masks on the sidelines — a safety precaution that is required at games during the COVID-19 pandemic. The coaches' teams were also punished, with $250,000 fines.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ing-face-masks

Comment

• The first of two test matches between All Blacks and Australia takes take place on 11 October in Wellington, followed a week later in Auckland.

Both games expected to have sell out crowds.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhall View Post
                NFL Hits 3 Coaches And Teams With Large Fines For Not Wearing Face Masks

The NFL has fined several head coaches $100,000 for not wearing face masks on the sidelines — a safety precaution that is required at games during the COVID-19 pandemic. The coaches' teams were also punished, with $250,000 fines.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ing-face-masks
                $250K might not matter to the owners but $100K is significant money for the coaches. Do you think Roger Goodell has their attention now? We need more of those sort of draconian laws and policies in the U.S., at least where COVID-19 is concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

$250K might not matter to the owners but $100K is significant money for the coaches. Do you think Roger Goodell has their attention now? We need more of those sort of draconian laws and policies in the U.S., at least where COVID-19 is concerned.
                  I think Payton and Gruden were also fined for last night's non mask wearing.

Comment

• There may be no fans in stadiums in England before the end of March:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54246745

Comment

• A couple of weeks ago I noticed Dabo Swinney wearing a gaiter mask but he would pull it down whenever he needed to talk to his players or a reporter as though he was on Zoom and needed to unmute himself to speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                        A couple of weeks ago I noticed Dabo Swinney wearing a gaiter mask but he would pull it down whenever he needed to talk to his players or a reporter as though he was on Zoom and needed to unmute himself to speak.
                        Have I mentioned that Dabo Swinney has the intelligence of a mutant turtle?

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I'm going to call that generous. Dumb as a box of rocks or bag of hammers. Take your pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhall View Post

I'm going to call that generous. Dumb as a box of rocks or bag of hammers. Take your pick.
                            Dumb as a post-pounder?

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              Coaching at the very elite levels, either NFL, NBA or NCAA creates an narrowly focused individual to an extreme. They can not afford to give even 1 hour of a day to anything but preparing their teenagers and 20somethings for a game of sport. Asking a Dabo or any other coach to be concerned about matters of public health is like asking a shark to be concerned with desert flora. You or I could never do what they do, their skills and talents are deep and rich and they are well compensated for them, but we cant ask them not to be sharks, that is what they are.
                              user4
                              Last edited by user4; 09-23-2020, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post
                                Coaching at the very elite levels, either NFL or NCAA creates a very simple and narrowly focused individual. They can not afford to give even 1 hour of a day to anything but preparing their teenagers and 20somethings for a game of sport. Asking a Dabo or any other coach to be concerned about matters of public health is like asking a shark to be concerned with desert flora.
                                I don't fully agree with that, although certainly for guys like Saban and Belichick it is true. But see Mark Few or Pete Carroll for examples of coaches that succeed and still have a life and know about other things in life. And there are others. If you have to spend all your waking hours preparing young men to play a game, you can't be very smart, IMHO. This ain't rocket science.

Have I mentioned that Dabo Swinney has the intelligence of a lampshade?

Comment

Working...
                                X