Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could have sworn all those folks on the football field had passed Covid-19 tests to be able to participate.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
      I don't fully agree with that, although certainly for guys like Saban and Belichick it is true. But see Mark Few or Pete Carroll for examples of coaches that succeed and still have a life and know about other things in life. And there are others. If you have to spend all your waking hours preparing young men to play a game, you can't be very smart, IMHO. This ain't rocket science...Have I mentioned that Dabo Swinney has the intelligence of a lampshade?
      I dont disagree with your assessment of Dabo, However, I do disagree with your assessment of other coaches. They are all singularly focused on winning, they may give you the appearance that they are great thinkers on other topics but it is an illusion, an illusion much like a talking horse or a counting horse. You simply can not be great in the highly competitive world of coaching without total dedication to winning. They may be dumb as stumps but like a savant, they know one thing very very well and that is what matters to their institutions and that is why they are paid more than entire academic departments at D1 universities.
      Last edited by user4; 09-23-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• Adam Silver says the next NBA season probably won't start until after the new year.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post

I dont disagree with your assessment of Dabo, However, I do disagree with your assessment of other coaches. They are all singularly focused on winning, they may give you the appearance that they are great thinkers on other topics but it is an illusion, an illusion much like a talking horse or a counting horse. You simply can not be great in the highly competitive world of coaching without total dedication to winning. They may be dumb as stumps but like a savant, they know one thing very very well and that is what matters to their institutions and that is why they are paid more than entire academic departments at D1 universities.
          You've upped the ante over the normal "flow" today.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post

Coaching at the very elite levels, either NFL, NBA or NCAA creates an narrowly focused individual to an extreme. They can not afford to give even 1 hour of a day to anything but preparing their teenagers and 20somethings for a game of sport. Asking a Dabo or any other coach to be concerned about matters of public health is like asking a shark to be concerned with desert flora. You or I could never do what they do, their skills and talents are deep and rich and they are well compensated for them, but we cant ask them not to be sharks, that is what they are.
            I don't think it's a compliment to say that pro and big-time college coaches lack the bandwidth to be anything other than complete ignoramuses away from their sport, and for some (eg. Greg Popovich) just the opposite is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
              I could have sworn all those folks on the football field had passed Covid-19 tests to be able to participate.
              Please elaborate because I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious?

Comment

I could have sworn all those folks on the football field had passed Covid-19 tests to be able to participate.
                The positive tests for those that played last Saturday were taken on Monday. Presumably they were negative in pre-game testing.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                  Please elaborate because I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious?
                  Sarcastic about what???

The NFL players are probably tested more rigorously than anyone, so I assumed they were negative before being allowed to play in the games.

Comment

• 60 Minutes had a Coach O (LSU) profile, and he's a super likable guy, but his focus is solely on winning football games, and he and Dabo must share the same cerebral cortex. If it ain't good for football, it ain't good. I suspect both are VERY intelligent men (they couldn't enjoy the success they do at a very large, complex program without a good mind), but I see why the posters above feel the way they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I don't think it's a compliment to say that pro and big-time college coaches lack the bandwidth to be anything other than complete ignoramuses away from their sport, and for some (eg. Greg Popovich) just the opposite is true.
                      That's why I differed with user4 as a blanket statement about all coaches. Popovich is another good example, as is Steve Kerr. I agree the majority of the coaches have only a one-track mind but there are a few who stand out as well rounded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        60 Minutes had a Coach O (LSU) profile, and he's a super likable guy, but his focus is solely on winning football games, and he and Dabo must share the same cerebral cortex. If it ain't good for football, it ain't good. I suspect both are VERY intelligent men (they couldn't enjoy the success they do at a very large, complex program without a good mind), but I see why the posters above feel the way they do.
                        I think your definition of intelligence must be different from mine. They are smart about one thing which they have done all their lives, with no focus on anything else. I was team doctor at Duke when Steve Spurrier was the coach. Great coach. Good guy. Intelligent outside of football he was not.

Comment

Sarcastic about what???

The NFL players are probably tested more rigorously than anyone, so I assumed they were negative before being allowed to play in the games.
                          A negative test doesn't prove that you're not infected which is why NBA players are wearing masks away from the court despite being in a bubble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            60 Minutes had a Coach O (LSU) profile, and he's a super likable guy, but his focus is solely on winning football games, and he and Dabo must share the same cerebral cortex. If it ain't good for football, it ain't good. I suspect both are VERY intelligent men (they couldn't enjoy the success they do at a very large, complex program without a good mind), but I see why the posters above feel the way they do.
                            I've never heard any of the sort of asinne comments come out of Orgeron's mouth that regularly come out of Swinney's. Les Miles is a different matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              I think your definition of intelligence must be different from mine. They [Dabo and Ogeron] are smart . . .
                              See? It wasn't that hard to admit, was it?!

Comment

• Meanwhile....in the FT today.

Sports bodies seek taxpayer rescue of ailing sector

The UK’s leading sports organisations have called for a taxpayer-funded bailout, with the government having scrapped a planned reopening of stadiums in a move that threatens the industry’s fragile finances.

The Premier League, Rugby Football Union, the England and Wales Cricket Board and British Cycling are among 100 sports bodies that have written to Prime Minister Boris Johnson this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X