Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was not at Woodstock and still got dizzy trying to read Atticus explanation of cricket.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 12-28-2021, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
      A pathetic effort by England, and it just underlines the problems in their system. They are superb in the one-day international and T20 formats, but have lost any semblance of decency in test cricket.
      Another issue is that touring Test teams used to play a decent number of matches against other teams before the first Test to get used to local conditions. This now tends to not happen as there tends not be time available, as they are either playing in shorter format tournaments or getting some much needed rest after one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
        And the Arizona Bowl and Hawaii Bowl have also been cancelled, bringing the total of cancelled bowls to five.
        The cancelation of games played by very young healthy and vaccinated people is absurd.

Master's games? Maybe. But college and pro sports are the domain of the youngest and fittest among us. Populations that are also overwhelmingly vaccinated.
        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

The cancelation of games played by very young healthy and vaccinated people is absurd.

Master's games? Maybe. But college and pro sports are the domain of the youngest and fittest among us. Populations that are also overwhelmingly vaccinated.
          The health of the athletes is only part of the equation, the other slowing down the spread of COVID-19 to prevent hospitals from being overrun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Another issue is that touring Test teams used to play a decent number of matches against other teams before the first Test to get used to local conditions. This now tends to not happen as there tends not be time available, as they are either playing in shorter format tournaments or getting some much needed rest after one.
            Exactly. I don't believe England had much preparation of any kind in-country for this tour. Wasted a fine effort by old man Jimmy Anderson this time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

The health of the athletes is only part of the equation, the other slowing down the spread of COVID-19 to prevent hospitals from being overrun.
              Is that why teams are pulling out, though?

Anyhow, I don't see how the players playing is a massive spread factor. Drop in the bucket.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Boland was playing in his first (maiden) test match and took 5 (fifer) of England's 10 wickets (getting the batsman out) in an innings.

An innings is a sides turn at batting. In test matches each side gets to have 2 innings.
                ​​​​
                The term Ashes came from a satirical obituary in 1882 after Australia beat England in England. Out of that test match series a terracota urn was made as the Ashes trophy to contain the cremated remains of English cricket superiority.

The urn reputedly contains the ashes of a burnt cricket ball.

In terms of bowling nirvana, the ultimate achievement for a bowler is to take all 10 wickets in an innings. That has only happened 3 times in the 150 years of test cricket among all test playing countries.

The most recent was New Zealand's Ajaz Patel, just 2 weeks ago, against India, in Mumbai. A compelling movie script as Patel was born in Mumbai but migrated to New Zealand as a child.

To an American like me, the weirdest thing about Cricket is that if you hit the ball over the fence like a home run in American baseball, you get six points like a touchdown in American football. 🤔

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

To an American like me, the weirdest thing about Cricket is that if you hit the ball over the fence like a home run in American baseball, you get six points like a touchdown in American football. 🤔
                  I reckon the weirdest thing is that the English invented a game that can be played for 5 days without a result.

Comment

A pathetic effort by England, and it just underlines the problems in their system. They are superb in the one-day international and T20 formats, but have lost any semblance of decency in test cricket.
                    You're too kind, gm. Australian newspapers were more direct in their criticism: Gutless England batsmen deliver full spectrum of ineptitude.

Trickstat is right that the cricket money men (Indian bookies) continue to undermine Test cricket with various forms of slog fests. In the old days there were more full matches against local first class sides, usually state teams with a few full one day matches thrown in. This allowed acclimatisation to long days in the field in warmer climes. Now Tests seem to be an inconvenience slotted in between a frenetic international T-20 and one day match schedule.

Oh, and to fix Tauriki's autocorrect error, the Ashes are purported to be the remains of a cricket bail (or bails) not ball. Bails are the little cylindrical bits of wood that sit on top of the vertical stumps.

diagram_of_a_wicket_from_the_game_of_cricket_poster-r4ffe83b263434cc998d0532fb11124bb_azw5w_8byvr_540.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

I reckon the weirdest thing is that the English invented a game that can be played for 5 days without a result.
                      It's all about the journey rather than the destination!

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post

You're too kind, gm. Australian newspapers were more direct in their criticism: Gutless England batsmen deliver full spectrum of ineptitude.

Trickstat is right that the cricket money men (Indian bookies) continue to undermine Test cricket with various forms of slog fests. In the old days there were more full matches against local first class sides, usually state teams with a few full one day matches thrown in. This allowed acclimatisation to long days in the field in warmer climes. Now Tests seem to be an inconvenience slotted in between a frenetic international T-20 and one day match schedule.

Oh, and to fix Tauriki's autocorrect error, the Ashes are purported to be the remains of a cricket bail (or bails) not ball. Bails are the little cylindrical bits of wood that sit on top of the vertical stumps.

diagram_of_a_wicket_from_the_game_of_cricket_poster-r4ffe83b263434cc998d0532fb11124bb_azw5w_8byvr_540.jpg
                        I have to give massive credit to the Aussies for an inspired series of performances. Their bowling attack was devastating and it was kind of fun in a masochistic way to see Boland become an instant folk hero.

Comment

It's all about the journey rather than the destination!
                          The only trouble with that El Toro is that the Poms were not even close to finishing the journey.

Comment

Maybe autocorrect is actually correct, and that the urn contains the ashes of a pair of English balls

Cos they certainly got no balls these days.
                            Last edited by Tuariki; 12-30-2021, 03:17 AM.

Comment

I have to give massive credit to the Aussies for an inspired series of performances. Their bowling attack was devastating and it was kind of fun in a masochistic way to see Boland become an instant folk hero.
                              There's a big difference between being bowled out and giving away your wicket. I didn't watch the test, so it will be interesting to see how the same attack deals with a competent side.

One thing to note is that I read recently about how few balls in recent times would actually hit the stumps if the batsmen missed. If that is the case, then that indicates that giving away the wicket might be closer to the mark.

It's a shame we couldn't rerun the England innings facing disciplined bowlers like DK Lillee or Michael Holding who would hit the stumps (or ribs) every single time except once every two overs to encourage a rash shot - relentless pressure.

Comment

Still shorter than a six-day race!

Comment

Working...
                                X