Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Any Major Sports Events Take Place Before The 2020 College Football Playoffs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post

Is Novak Djokovic the least loved (potential) GOAT in sports history?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/nov...is-goat-debate
    This golf writer knows little about tennis. Agassi was never in the GOAT discussion (other than by some rabid Agassi fans), and both he and Sampras were loathed by many people. (Mostly by fans of the other, given how Agassi insulted Sampras by calling him a monkey.) Every time either won a major, tennis discussion board would explode with all the hatred as if WWIII had just broke out. The admin had to shut down the thread, and a few people had to take "vacation" before the order was restored. Novax received more despise than hate from Federer and Nadal fans.

And if I am not mistaken, Lebron back in his Miami years was not a "beloved" figure. People used to turn on TV, wanting to see him lose. I remember his "they will still have the same problems they had yesterday" comment about his detractors after Miami's loss to Dallas in the NBA Final.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
      This golf writer knows little about tennis. Agassi was never in the GOAT discussion (other than by some rabid Agassi fans), and both he and Sampras were loathed by many people. (Mostly by fans of the other, given how Agassi insulted Sampras by calling him a monkey.) Every time either won a major, tennis discussion board would explode with all the hatred as if WWIII had just broke out. The admin had to shut down the thread, and a few people had to take "vacation" before the order was restored. Novax received more despise than hate from Federer and Nadal fans.

And if I am not mistaken, Lebron back in his Miami years was not a "beloved" figure. People used to turn on TV, wanting to see him lose. I remember his "they will still have the same problems they had yesterday" comment about his detractors after Miami's loss to Dallas in the NBA Final.
      I saw that also with him listing Agassi and could not believe he had him on the list. Sampras OK, but he also didn't include Rod Laver - probably doesn't know who he is.

Comment

• Australian Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews confirms that Djocovid is banned from entering Australia for 3 years - its on several news websites now - here's one - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...REE-YEARS.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

On request the Minister can grant him a waiver to allow entry. However, the Minister is under no obligation to grant the request.

I would imagine in his request he would need to express contrition and provide evidence of being vaccinated.

Having been deported from Australia means he will need to apply for an exemption to enter the USA and the UK.
          Yeah, he is very unlikely to get back inside 3 years unless he does some comprehensive grovelling. The only "unless" is if tennis threatens to move the Australian Open because of this.

It's interesting that the Open head honcho, Craig Tiley, was mocking the Tokyo OG arrangements as defficient and how he had everything under superior control. His "exemption" was off his own bat with no apparent consultation with the Australian government. That would be so incompetent given Djokovic's prior history that my cynical side wonders if some quiet words were had to give the govt an opportunity to grandstand pre-election.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post

Yeah, he is very unlikely to get back inside 3 years unless he does some comprehensive grovelling. The only "unless" is if tennis threatens to move the Australian Open because of this.

It's interesting that the Open head honcho, Craig Tiley, was mocking the Tokyo OG arrangements as defficient and how he had everything under superior control. His "exemption" was off his own bat with no apparent consultation with the Australian government. That would be so incompetent given Djokovic's prior history that my cynical side wonders if some quiet words were had to give the govt an opportunity to grandstand pre-election.
            If President Emmanuel Macron has anything to do with it, Djocovid will find the doors shut at the French Open too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59873833

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
              If President Emmanuel Macron has anything to do with it, Djocovid will find the doors shut at the French Open too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59873833
              And see my post #1272 above that may shut him out of the US Open as well under current regulations

Comment

• Exclusive: Novak Djokovic is one of only three unvaccinated players in men’s and women’s top 100

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-n...201234263.html

The world number one was becoming increasingly isolated in his refusal to get jabbed after the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) and Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) confirmed 98 and 99 of their respective top 100s had been fully vaccinated ahead of the Australian Open.

Comment

• And in case people don't remember who Tennys Sandgren was, this is the other unvaccinated player on the ATP Tour.

https://www.si.com/tennis/2018/01/24...sponds-apology

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I saw that also with him listing Agassi and could not believe he had him on the list. Sampras OK, but he also didn't include Rod Laver - probably doesn't know who he is.
                    Agassi's greatest achievement was becoming the first man since Laver to win all 4 slams during his career, something that eluded the likes of Borg (nemesis - US), Lendl (ditto Wimbledon) and McEnroe and Connors (ditto French). However, the feats of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have hugely eclipsed Agassi's feat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                      Agassi's greatest achievement was becoming the first man since Laver to win all 4 slams during his career, something that eluded the likes of Borg (nemesis - US), Lendl (ditto Wimbledon) and McEnroe and Connors (ditto French). However, the feats of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have hugely eclipsed Agassi's feat.
                      Since this board is all about stats, trivia, and nitpicking, strictly speaking, Agassi was the first man to win the career Grand Slam since Roy Emerson. Laver won the calendar-year Grand Slam in 1962. Emerson won Wimbledon in 1964 to complete his career Grand Slam. I don't think Agassi is even in the all-time men's top 10.

Djokovic
                      Federer
                      Nadal
                      Laver
                      Sampras
                      Borg
                      Tilden
                      Gonzales
                      Emerson
                      Connors (10)
                      McEnroe
                      Edberg
                      Kramer
                      Rosewall

I'd put all of them ahead of Agassi, maybe even Hoad and Trabert

Comment

• Agassi was the first man to win on the four different surfaces.

Comment

• FINA World Championships have been postponed for the second time. And they don't have a new schedule yet.

https://swimswam.com/report-confirms...e-a-stalemate/

Comment

Working...
                          X