Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Take the kids to Disney? That would be our personal hell.
    Maybe not for the kids . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
      Maybe not for the kids . . .

We went to Disneyland back in the early 60s ....we had a great time...also Riverview was a big amusement park in Chicago that closed in 1967...a great family outing.

Anyways there was a live hour long broadcast when Disneyland opened ....

Opening Day Ceremonies for Disneyland (aired on June 15, 1955).

Television was a novel medium in 1955, and the ambition of trying to cover the entire festivities of the opening day of Disneyland was impressive. There were several hosts spread throughout the park, including a foppish Ronald Reagan and a beaming b-list movie star named Bob Cummings, who narrated a trip down Main Street U.S.A. after audiences met his entire family. Awhile later (at 41:10), a camera crept up on Cummings during a party sequence in which he is passionately kissing someone who … is clearly not the wife we met earlier. Cummings either was not given or else had missed an important cue. His response was as quick as the quip of a pimp: “As you can see folks, I’d like to stay at the Mardi Gras forever…”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JuzrZET-3Ew&t=506s

Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-17-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

i would happily time-travel back to the age of real ocean liners taking passengers on cruises. 1200 or so max passengers on most. I'm not interested in these barely sea-worthy mega-liners with 5000 passengers on board.

My sister & brother-in-law returned from a Pacific cruise just as the corona hit the fan downunder. They weren't even temperature checked when they disembarked. And they said even though there were dispensers of hand sanitizer all over the ship, especially by dining rooms, very few passengers seemed to be using them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
          i would happily time-travel back to the age of real ocean liners taking passengers on cruises. 1200 or so max passengers on most. I'm not interested in these barely sea-worthy mega-liners with 5000 passengers on board.

My sister & brother-in-law returned from a Pacific cruise just as the corona hit the fan downunder. They weren't even temperature checked when they disembarked. And they said even though there were dispensers of hand sanitizer all over the ship, especially by dining rooms, very few passengers seemed to be using them.
          Yes, ship travel in the 50s could be pretty nice. Two, each of ~15 days by P&O, and one of 30 days by Polish Ocean Lines. Memories are a bit sketchy, but all good. Perhaps due to the fact that father was in the diplomatic service, and we got some of the best cabins and service.

Comment

Meanwhile...a good reason to avoid Disney World in the future....

Disney stops paying 100,000 workers to save $500m a month

Theme park owner risks reputational damage as it slashes costs more severely than rivals

But slashing fixed costs in a more severe way than other theme-park owners such as NBCUniversal and Warner Media has raised significant reputational risks for the century-old empire behind Mickey Mouse. The decision leaves Disney staff reliant on state benefits — public support that could run to hundreds of millions of dollars over coming months — even as the company protects executive bonus schemes and a $1.5bn dividend payment due in July. By contrast some big multinationals, including L’Oréal and Total in France, have vowed to forgo state aid in a show of solidarity with taxpayers.

https://www.ft.com/content/db574838-...d-75039f8cb288

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

We're hoping to cruise. In September we were supposed to go from Amsterdam to Norway, to Iceland, Greenland and finish in Boston. Its not going to happen. Hopefully we'll be able to do the trip in a year. I don't know how large the ship is going to be.

Comment

Hi, here is an article about COVID influence on the Cruise industry. It says You will cruise again but it will look very different (more robots, fewer buffet lines)
                  Love them or hate them, cruises may soon look very different.

Comment

Set sail and social distance: Taiwan resumes ocean cruise amid pandemic

KEELUNG, Taiwan (Reuters) - Taiwan resumed an island-hopping ocean cruise on Sunday, joining a handful of places in the world to restart voyages after the coronavirus pandemic brought the industry to a virtual standstill.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/set-sail-...134300453.html

Comment

meanwhile, on the bounding main....

US cruise lines cancel sailings through at least end of 2020

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/03/busin...mic/index.html

Comment

Wasn't interested in going on a cruise prior to the pandemic. Not much will change when we return to "normal”.
                        NYC/NJ/DC/MD natives that watched wrestling in the late '50s and early '60s weigh in
                        https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...en-age-rasslin

Comment

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/1...adream-cruise/

Comment

as a parallel question, now that the FAA has cleared the 737 MAX to fly again, will you go out of our way to avoid flying one, if possible?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              as a parallel question, now that the FAA has cleared the 737 MAX to fly again, will you go out of our way to avoid flying one, if possible?
                              I have never concerned myself about, or even known, what type of airplane I am boarding. Don't expect to in the future. If the pilot is willing to fly it, I am willing to ride along.

;pl

Comment

After Pandemic it will be too risky to cruise, because no one can affirm that epidemic is over for 100% and there always is a risk to get infected, imagine if someone is infected on a cruise, more than half of all on this cruise will be infected. I think it's too early to go on a cruise after pandemic

Comment

Working...
                                X